The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-13-2018, 03:39 AM

Default Tanglewood Electro Acoustic - opinions? Strings?

Hi,
I recently bought a Tanglewood Electro Acoustic to replace my battered Yamaha Dreadnought. (Model is Discovery DBT SFCE PW in Pacific Walnut http://www.tanglewoodguitars.co.uk/product/dbtsfcepw/)

I like the guitar and for the money I paid I think it is amazing.
Nevertheless, I think it sounds a bit 'tinny' and I have a slight 'buzz' on the 6th string etc whic his annoying. (I am considering getting it set up professionally anyway)

It might just be that I am used to the deeper sounds of the Dreadnought of course?

My question is, do you have any recommendations in regards to this guitar, and especially advice on strings to suit (I am currently using Rotosound Jumbo Kings in custom light / light)

Cheers for now. AC
Old 04-13-2018, 04:04 AM

Congrats on the new Tanglewood and welcome! I almost bought one myself about 10 years ago. I'd suggest trying different brands and gauges to find a set that sounds good to you. I like 80/20 bronze strings myself since they start out sounding bright but mellow out nicely with use. Maybe try a slightly heavier gauge strings? I use pretty light gauge strings (.011-.052) but that's due my old and tired fretting hand.
Old 04-13-2018, 04:09 AM

Thanks Bluesfreek, appreciate your input. I was thinking of trying 12's perhaps next, and a different make (or a couple of different brands over time) might buzz less too?
Old 04-13-2018, 04:14 AM

As for the buzz. You might try adjusting the truss rod by loosening it a bit. However heavier strings might just help eliminate the buzz. If doing that worries you than I'd suggest a pro setup. A setup by a good luthier/tech can work wonders.

Best of luck!
Old 04-13-2018, 04:28 AM

Thanks again, I have tried loosening it slightly myself. As in about half a turn in total (done over a few days) - I think it has improved things a little.
I can't be 100% convinced it is just that though, rather than the bridge pins rattling or something like that (I don't know, I'm quite new to that side of things at least)

Good advice thanks!
Cheers!
Old 04-13-2018, 12:38 PM

IIRC there was a LARGE colorful tag tied to one of the tuning pegs indicating that D'addario EXP strings are fitted. A quick email confirmed that it was indeed EXP 11 strings.

Re: the buzz
You may also want to put your hand inside the soundhole and have a feel around for loose cables which may be in contact with wood.
Fender RK Tele
Godin ACS SA, 5th Ave
Gretsch G7593, G9240
Martin JC-16ME Aura, J12-16GT, 000C Nylon
Ovation:
Adamas U681T, Elite 5868, Elite DS778TX, Elite Collectors '98
Custom Legend, Legend LX 12 string, Balladeer, Classical
Parker MIDIfly, P10E
Steinberger Synapse
Taylor 320, NS34
Yamaha SA503
Old 04-16-2018, 02:43 AM

Thanks Sonics, good point about checking for loose cables inside.
I will certainly check that out too!

Cheers!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion