The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 03-31-2018, 07:14 PM

I read through the posts quickly, so I apologize in advance if someone else said this.

Most seem to be saying that if you go for the Eastman - which impressed you so much - you'll always long for the Collings you always wanted, because you - what? Paid less for a guitar that blew you away?

Let's reverse this - you spend lots of money you saved up for, but, in your mind, you remember the guitar that really spoke to you and would have saved you money. Sometimes, loving a guitar you spent less on is doubly rewarding, rather than second-guessing a decision that cost more than you really had to spend.

Of course, the Collings will probably have a higher resale value, but - honestly - it sounds like you just really want a great guitar. I've played the Eastman OMs, was equally impressed, and would be more than proud to own one. So if you aren't buying for the headstock, I'd say the Eastman is the better choice, all things considered.
Old 03-31-2018, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steadfastly View Post
This has been said here on the forums many, many times but as a reminder, I'll repost it. Buy with your ears, not with your eyes.

Yes. Always good advice.

Interestingly, while I like nice guitars and music gear, Its not because I like to show it off. In fact, I’d rather be the guy playing guitars that are cheaper, but sound killer than the guy who has all the high end or boutique brands.

In the end, it’s gotta sound and feel good and if it does, I don’t care what the logo on the headstock says.

All this posting is causing me to think more on this than I care to admit. This is the advice I would make to someone else, so it’s the case I’ll make to myself: Buy the Collings while I have the opportunity. They simply don’t come up locally at this price point and this is the exact model I’ve wanted for a while. Then if I want to, I’ll have it to be able to compare to any other guitar based on actual back to back comparisons and factor in all the price/value ratios along the way.

This thread feels a bit therapeutic to me. Hopefully you all aren’t charging me by the hour.
Old 03-31-2018, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YeOldRocker View Post
I read through the posts quickly, so I apologize in advance if someone else said this.

Most seem to be saying that if you go for the Eastman - which impressed you so much - you'll always long for the Collings you always wanted, because you - what? Paid less for a guitar that blew you away?

Let's reverse this - you spend lots of money you saved up for, but, in your mind, you remember the guitar that really spoke to you and would have saved you money. Sometimes, loving a guitar you spent less on is doubly rewarding, rather than second-guessing a decision that cost more than you really had to spend.

Of course, the Collings will probably have a higher resale value, but - honestly - it sounds like you just really want a great guitar. I've played the Eastman OMs, was equally impressed, and would be more than proud to own one. So if you aren't buying for the headstock, I'd say the Eastman is the better choice, all things considered.

And then you post this... and I rethink the very thing I just posted. Haha. The brain is spinning a little too fast for my own good tonight.

FYI - the Collings is extremely impressive too, but it’s expected to be so based on the cost.
Old 03-31-2018, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronmarkson View Post
Yes. Always good advice.

Interestingly, while I like nice guitars and music gear, Its not because I like to show it off. In fact, I’d rather be the guy playing guitars that are cheaper, but sound killer than the guy who has all the high end or boutique brands.

In the end, it’s gotta sound and feel good and if it does, I don’t care what the logo on the headstock says.

All this posting is causing me to think more on this than I care to admit. This is the advice I would make to someone else, so it’s the case I’ll make to myself: Buy the Collings while I have the opportunity. They simply don’t come up locally at this price point and this is the exact model I’ve wanted for a while. Then if I want to, I’ll have it to be able to compare to any other guitar based on actual back to back comparisons and factor in all the price/value ratios along the way.

This thread feels a bit therapeutic to me. Hopefully you all aren’t charging me by the hour.

I think maybe your future chances of finding another Eastman similar to the one you've played and liked will be much better than your odds of finding another Collings at the price point you can apparently acquire the present one...

Just food for thought...
Old 03-31-2018, 07:44 PM

Quote:

This was my thought all along. Also, what is your playing environment? What I mean is.....for example I love my OM28 and 614ce. But if someone called me and said we are having a get together, bring your guitar.....oh no......I’d bring my my cheaper guitar not them! So would this be the only acoustic you would have?
Old 03-31-2018, 08:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
...snip...Sometimes, loving a guitar you spent less on is doubly rewarding, rather than second-guessing a decision that cost more than you really had to spend. ...snip...
BINGO! Boy can I relate to this.

I have been playing the Alvarez jumbo in my signature almost exclusively since I got it a couple of months ago. I believe it is the best guitar I have ever owned, and it cost me about $500 new.

Now, if my count is correct, I have owned seven guitars that cost over $1,000, two more that cost over $1,500, and two more that cost over $2,000. I'd say the Alvarez is a better guitar (FOR ME) than any of those 11 guitars.

Going forward it will be very difficult for me to justify ever spending over $1,000 on a guitar again.

2017 Alvarez Yairi OY70CE - Sugaree
c.1966 Regal Sovereign R235 Jumbo - Old Dollar
2009 Martin 000-15 - Brown Bella
1977 Gibson MK-35 - Apollo
2004 Fender American Stratocaster - The Blue Max
2017 Fender Custom American Telecaster - Brown Sugar
Think Hippie Thoughts...

Last edited by Ed-in-Ohio; 03-31-2018 at 08:08 PM.
Old 03-31-2018, 08:08 PM
AGF Sponsor

No one on AGF is a bigger Eastman fan than me, but if you've got the coin I'd go Collings. That's a lifetime purchase.
Old 03-31-2018, 08:49 PM
Charter Member

I say buy the Collings if that is what you wanted for years.

Last edited by Kerbie; 04-01-2018 at 03:03 PM. Reason: Comment on mod action
Old 03-31-2018, 08:58 PM

Buy the Collings. Play it side by side with the Eastman. If the Eastman still blows you away, buy it, too. Play them both for 6 months with the intention of selling one. Then don't.

Last edited by loco gringo; 03-31-2018 at 09:03 PM.
Old 03-31-2018, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loco gringo View Post
Buy the Collings. Play it side by side with the Eastman. If the Eastman still blows you away, buy it, too. Play them both for 6 months with the intention of selling one. Then don't.
Bingo for the gringo!
Old 03-31-2018, 09:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by loco gringo View Post
Loco like a zorro.
Old 03-31-2018, 09:07 PM

It sounds to me like you're having some trepidation about spending a lot of money on an expensive guitar. Speaking only for myself, that would be sufficient reason not to do it.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 03-31-2018, 09:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
On Wednesday, I played an Eastman OM for the first time. I’ve read about the praise for Eastman guitars, but wasn’t prepared to be blown away like I was. I played it next to a Santa Cruz OM/PW and was shocked at how well it faired. In fact, I preferred it in many ways despite the Santa Cruz being more attractive to me.
Then you should buy the Eastman. That particular one. Not a different one of the same model ordered sight unseen. Don't let it get away.
Old 03-31-2018, 10:45 PM
Charter Member

Location: The California Central Coast, in The Heart of the Chaparral!

Quote:
And then you post this... and I rethink the very thing I just posted. Haha. The brain is spinning a little too fast for my own good tonight.

FYI - the Collings is extremely impressive too, but it’s expected to be so based on the cost.
If you're getting " a deal" on a used Collings, and have the greenbacks, go for it! Scratch that itch! You'll have a dream guitar that you can compare with future Eastmans you encounter later on... It's a lot easier to save up the entry fee for an Eastman, than it is a Collings, especially when the Collings is at a bargain price! The Collings will also be a lot easier to sell used, if you decide an Eastman sounds better down the road for you.... Keep us posted on your final choice.....

Don
Old 03-31-2018, 10:52 PM

OP, Both guitars are hand built by people who do it solely for a living and to the best of their ability. The rest is irrelevant. If you connected with the Eastman, get it. Don't let the opinions of others sway what YOU feel.

Last edited by Kerbie; 04-01-2018 at 03:12 AM. Reason: Deleted quote; adjusted accordingly
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion