The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 03-31-2018, 02:28 PM
Guest 33123

Here's my perspective on this.

Re: buying with intent of returning. If you are buying and returning via a big box store have at it. If you are buying with the intend of returning at a mom and pop shop think twice. Having spent 4 years working retail in a small mom and pop shop I've personally seen the effect returns can have on both the salesman and the proprietors. Many mom and pops are barely hanging on and returns can have a real impact.

Re: Collings and regret? If you really want a Collings buy one. Subbbing in another brand won't make the feeling go away.

YMMV.
Old 03-31-2018, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronmarkson View Post

It seems like I could get 80 - 90% of the way to the Collings for 25- 30% of the cost by getting an Eastman. That’s a ratio that is hard to argue with, but I have wanted a Collings for years now.
Why yes, that last 5-10% of tone is also the most costly.

10-20 years from now, are you going to be happy that you settled?
Old 03-31-2018, 03:23 PM

Quote:

It seems like I could get 80 - 90% of the way to the Collings for 25- 30% of the cost by getting an Eastman. That’s a ratio that is hard to argue with, but I have wanted a Collings for years now.
I owned an Eastman E10SS for awhile, it was a great guitar but didn't do it for me. I sold it within three months and moved on. I've played only a handful of Collings models. I can say I liked them all very much and better than the Eastman's that I've played. But these were my experiences and I don't think they should influence you. Tone is subjective, feel is subjective. Depending on your personal taste the Eastman could be much better than the Collings. It's kind of silly that we live in a world where we're always obsessed with that price tag and even knowing it's just the ornamentation driving up the cost, some would put preference there when their instincts and heart are telling them the less expensive instrument is a match.

My opinion is that Eastman is a boutique builder (they are low volume, high quality after-all), who just happens to build in China. Many players here love their guitars, some do not. Of the ones who don't care for them, I'm certain a portion of those are have a negative predisposition based on Eastman's country of origin. Many probably have never even put hands on an Eastman to fairly judge them.

You should always go with what speaks to you!

If you're a seasoned player you know what your hands and ears are telling you is right. If you look for guidance outside you end up with a lot of interesting opinions, many of which are guided by general laws of consumerism ("if I spend more on product x than product y, it must be better") which can misguide you when looking for the right tool for your craft... There is still some general bias against Chinese built instruments.

There's a huge cloud of influence in the US on everything we buy. To me guitars are kind of like paint brushes, it's just a very personal thing. The player should really try to identify all this outside noise/manipulation and go with their heart.

J-45 song of the day archive
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis..._Zmxz51NAwG1UJ

My music
https://soundcloud.com/waynedeats76
https://www.facebook.com/waynedeatsmusic

My guitars
Gibson, Martin, Blueridge, Alvarez, Takamine
Old 03-31-2018, 03:26 PM

Get the Collings. I own Eastmans and they hold their own even among those with "discerning" ears BUT you've been wanting a Collings. If you get the Collings and can't get that Eastman out of your mind then save up to add the Eastman. It won't take as long to save for one. It's easy to get side track while we're saving for the ONE.

Old 03-31-2018, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Voltaire View Post
I concur 100%. I put Collings at the top of the list, along with H&D or Froggy Bottom. Eastman is on a different list altogether.
Why can no one believe that what the OP says is true?
I just bought a used Alvarez for next to nothing and it beat to hell a usa made Guild that I wanted to like better; I bought the better guitar in the real world. How they stack up "on paper" wasn't a factor.

Last edited by Kerbie; 04-01-2018 at 03:13 AM. Reason: Rule #1
Old 03-31-2018, 03:47 PM
Guest 728

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatefulsob View Post
Moreover, the OP doesn't even specify which models he's tried, other than that they're OMs. Collings makes seven of them, and Eastman makes nine.

Finally, the OP has played exactly one Eastman, which he didn't compare to a Collings, but to a Santa Cruz.

Last edited by Kerbie; 04-01-2018 at 03:15 AM. Reason: Edited quote; adjusted accordingly
Old 03-31-2018, 03:55 PM
Charter Member

With acoustic guitars, and indeed with everything, we always need to remember: Preference and Quality are two different things. It is not uncommon to have a preference for something that you know is not at the top of the quality ladder.

Add to this the law of diminishing returns in effect for acoustic guitar quality in today's market, and questions of the sort asked by the OP become basically unanswerable in a group discussion and wholly subjective.

2017 Alvarez Yairi OY70CE - Sugaree
c.1966 Regal Sovereign R235 Jumbo - Old Dollar
2009 Martin 000-15 - Brown Bella
1977 Gibson MK-35 - Apollo
2004 Fender American Stratocaster - The Blue Max
2017 Fender Custom American Telecaster - Brown Sugar
Think Hippie Thoughts...

Last edited by Ed-in-Ohio; 03-31-2018 at 04:13 PM.
Old 03-31-2018, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Voltaire View Post
Moreover, the OP doesn't even specify which models he's tried, other than that they're OMs. Collings makes seven of them, and Eastman makes nine.

Finally, the OP has played exactly one Eastman, which he didn't compare to a Collings, but to a Santa Cruz.
My apology if you took offense. My statement was really directed at the (fairly common it seems) belief that because names like SC and Collings, FB ect. (who absolutely have earned and deserve their outstanding reputations), have that reputation, and so a guitar from a "lower tier" source can't equal or even surpass anything they make in terms of tone and playability. It's just not true; probably not particularly common either, as they obviously make outstanding guitars. Anyone has to admit that part of the cost of those world class guitars is attention to details and beauty that don't necessarily add to the tone or playability, but just an attention to perfection that is to be admired and applauded. Nothing wrong with building it or owning it, would love to if I could. But that does not in anyway take away anything from guitars from other sources - a great sounding guitar is, ....well, you know. I wouldn't just expect a $5000+ independent usa made guitar to outshine an eastman, Martin or Gibson, Guild, I would demand it.
I still stick to my comment that if the OP played em both and preferred one, that's the "better" guitar and he should buy it without concern for what's written on the headstock.

Last edited by Kerbie; 04-01-2018 at 03:16 AM. Reason: Edited quote
Old 03-31-2018, 05:34 PM

Quote:
The reason I have been wanting this Collings was because of the sound and feel of this particular Collings model has consistently impressed me. Not the name on the headstock or prestige or anything else. I’ve played lots of guitars in this price range and haven’t found one I liked as much for an OM. A couple Martins have been close...

Then I played the Eastman and it was the first time I thought that I may be able to spend much less for a guitar that rivals the Collings (to me).
This puzzles me. Don't know which models you've tested, but Collings and Eastman guitars don't sound alike -- YMMV, but I think they sound quite different in tone, and in that they are not interchangeable.

But maybe the models you've tested do sound more alike?
Old 03-31-2018, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmf View Post
This puzzles me. Don't know which models you've tested, but Collings and Eastman guitars don't sound alike -- YMMV, but I think they sound quite different in tone, and in that they are not interchangeable.

But maybe the models you've tested do sound more alike?

I don’t think they are interchangeable, but they shared some fundamental things in both response and sound that I like. Perhaps the differences will be abundantly clear in a head to head comparison.
Old 03-31-2018, 05:45 PM

The few Collings I have played are on a different level than any Eastman I've played. It's hard for me to even compare.

Eastmans are a LOT of guitar *for the money*, but take away that qualifier and they are good, not great.

Collings (as far as I have experienced) are GREAT guitars.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 03-31-2018, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatefulsob View Post
What he said was, he believed that the Eastman might get him 80 to 90 percent of the way to the Collings, not that he prefers the Eastman or believes that it is an equal to the Collings. He's attempting to make a judgement based on perceived value. Fair enough. Collings is an heirloom quality instrument. To me, it's not a close call, assuming that the OP prefers the Collings sound.
Jonathan Vacanti archtop
Aaron Garcia Ruiz classical
Old 03-31-2018, 06:05 PM

It’s been fun to read all the comments.

Ultimately, I do need to play them back to back to determine which one is right for me. That seems like something everyone agrees on.

Guitars and opinions about them are very personal. I recognize that. What I like, others may not. And our tastes and preferences change and adapt at times too. I have a Petros D that I’ve owned for 17 years. It’s a fantastic instrument, but in the past 8 - 10 years, I’ve played a Gibson more. I also would never spend the money it would take to get that same Petros today. Is the Gibson a better guitar? Not necessarily, but it’s been the sound and feel that has worked for me lately.

As others have picked up on, there is a value ratio that plays a factor for me. This exists in all areas of life. From the food we eat and clothes we wear to the cars we drive and houses or apartments we live in. Everyone’s scale is a little different but I find most people make purchasing decisions based on this all the time.

I simply hadn’t found a guitar that challenged MY ratio like the Eastman did. Will that remain when I play them back to back? I don’t know.

A new Collings wouldn’t even be in the running. They just cost more than I’m willing to pay. This used Collings I am talking about is at a price point that makes its cost to guitar ratio work for me and allow me to get an admittedly wonderful instrument for a price I can afford and am willing to spend.

That said, it was clear to me that for my taste you’d have a hard time competing with that Eastman at even twice the cost. (Which is still cheaper than the Collings)
Old 03-31-2018, 06:52 PM

This has been said here on the forums many, many times but as a reminder, I'll repost it. Buy with your ears, not with your eyes.
Old 03-31-2018, 07:06 PM

IF you go Eastman, you better grab that particular guitar. Because these things are not interchangeable. Another one may not sound as good to you.
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion