The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-10-2017, 03:13 PM

Question Fishman Rare Earth Humbucker or LR Baggs M1A???

Hey y'all,
I recently got myself a brand new Art&Lutherie Americana Dread (ever since I once played an older A&L of my friend's dad, I've been madly in love with the tonal quality and craftsmanship of the instrument; it's definitely the best bang for the bug ever and beats 'cheaper' Martin entry level guitars by far, I think) ... The thing is: I'm now looking for an adequate sound hole pickup; I got to decide between the Fishman Rare Earth Humbucker and the LR Baggs M1A... I figured that maybe the Rare Earth would be more suitable since, in my opinion, it doesn't have the rather crisp, crystal sound the Baggs produces and as the Americana has a sound featuring astonishingly clear highs for a dread I thought the Fishman would be best maybe - Still, I'd very much like to hear your opinion? Who can help? Cheers from Germany
Old 10-10-2017, 03:17 PM

The Rare Earth Blend is consistently amongst the best pickups I hear!
Martin J40
Old 10-11-2017, 01:41 AM

I have the passive version of the Baggs in my Gibson Dove. I understand what you mean about the brightness, but if you run through a pre-amp with some tone shaping capability (I have the Baggs Venue, but you don't have to spend that much), you can tame the higher frequencies. The sound guy at my regular Open Mic got me to do that after he had heard me play a couple of times, and I get a nice sound back through the monitor and frequent compliments about how it sounds out front.
Old 10-11-2017, 02:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzmaurice View Post
Hey y'all,
I recently got myself a brand new Art&Lutherie Americana Dread (ever since I once played an older A&L of my friend's dad, I've been madly in love with the tonal quality and craftsmanship of the instrument; it's definitely the best bang for the bug ever and beats 'cheaper' Martin entry level guitars by far, I think) ... The thing is: I'm now looking for an adequate sound hole pickup; I got to decide between the Fishman Rare Earth Humbucker and the LR Baggs M1A... I figured that maybe the Rare Earth would be more suitable since, in my opinion, it doesn't have the rather crisp, crystal sound the Baggs produces and as the Americana has a sound featuring astonishingly clear highs for a dread I thought the Fishman would be best maybe - Still, I'd very much like to hear your opinion? Who can help? Cheers from Germany
Given the choice between these two I'd go for the M1a. The M1a has polepiece adjustment enabling you to set string to string balance and magnetic output to body sensing output balance. You will need some kind of eq on either pickup whether it be front of house mixer or standalone unit.

I used to use the M1a on m D28 but now use the M80 which I prefer. Both sound very good but the M80 senses body movement at a lower frequency to the M1a so for a bright sounding guitar it might be a better choice.
Old 10-11-2017, 03:02 AM

If I were you I would be looking at the DiMarzio Black Angel - in my humble opinion it is a better pick up than the two alternatives you have shortlisted.
Old 10-11-2017, 03:15 AM

Thanks so much! You've all already been really helpful.... Concerning the Black Angel, I heard it's some kind of insider tip... But isn't that one a passiv pickup? I would probably have to get some extra preamp/ eq-ing tool as me and my mates currently play folk at some open mic venues and small pubs with mostly poor PA-systems.

Last edited by Kerbie; 10-11-2017 at 05:10 AM. Reason: Removed masked profanity
Old 10-11-2017, 05:59 AM

Have you considered the M80? That would be my choice. It's going to pickup a bit more top vibration from your guitar so it will be a bit more natural sounding. I am not a huge fan of sound hole pickups but the M80 does sound good.

I do have the M1A in my dad's 12 string and it does sound nice. It has a bit of a hi-fi tone to it but in some cases, that's actually a good thing. A lot of sound hole pickups can sound a bit too warm/dull.
Old 10-11-2017, 06:21 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
Have you considered the M80? That would be my choice. It's going to pickup a bit more top vibration from your guitar so it will be a bit more natural sounding. I am not a huge fan of sound hole pickups but the M80 does sound good.

I do have the M1A in my dad's 12 string and it does sound nice. It has a bit of a hi-fi tone to it but in some cases, that's actually a good thing. A lot of sound hole pickups can sound a bit too warm/dull.
I've used the Rare Earth Humbucker, it is a nice unit, but I hear it is not as nice as the M80 (never used an M80). Of course, the M80 is more money...

I go back and forth on this - I use K&K in my Yairi, and I love the simplicity and sound it gives. But I have also used the K&K in concert with my Rare Earth - and both together give a wonder tone. Sometimes I wonder fi I could forego the K&K if I had an M80....

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Tags
artlutherie, fishman, lrbaggs, pickup, soundhole