The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-21-2016, 09:20 PM

Default Possibly going on a Road trip with nice guitar ,advice?

HI There-

So My girlfriend and I may be going on an extended road trip. Any advice for caring for a valuable acoustic while on the road. It's my only guitar and I can't afford another and don't want to be without it. Any thoughts on caring for an instrument that will be in car for a prolonged period of time? Will be all over the US in a Van.
Old 03-21-2016, 09:28 PM

No real concerns. Don't leave it in the vehicle if too cold or warm. Take it in with you when you are leaving the vehicle for more than a short bit. And, keep it humidified.
Old 03-21-2016, 09:42 PM

Buy a nice thermally insulated hardshell case and keep a couple humidipacks in it. Make sure you can't see it from outside the car. Don't leave it in the heat, if it can be avoided. Wade Hampton has a great analogy to treat your instrument like a 5 year old. Don't take it, or leave it, anywhere you wouldn't take a 5 year old child.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 03-21-2016, 09:54 PM

Theft is your biggest concern. While never leaving it in the vehicle is good advice, it isn't always practical for the kinds of things people often do when traveling. If you're able to check into a hotel and leave it in the room while you're out and about, that's ideal. If not, don't make it obvious. Cover it in such a way that it isn't obvious you're trying to hide something of value. Watch where you park. You can decrease, but not eliminate, your chances of a break in this way. I strongly advise getting instrument insurance before you go. I use Clarion, but many members here also use Heritage. Your yearly premium, at least with Clarion, will be far less than a really cheap guitar. Then, if something does happen, you have a $100 deductible and the rest is covered.

As far as weather is concerned, humidity and heat are your biggest worries. Depending on where you're going, you can use a humidifier or buy the packs that will either add or decrease humidity. Cold won't harm the guitar--the danger is too sudden a change. If it's in really cold conditions you will have to let it acclimate to warmer conditions gradually without opening the case. Extreme heat, though, can do great damage and must be avoided.

2015 Taylor 512ce 12 fret
early 80's Ovation Ultra 1517
2011 Seagull Entourage Rustic
2011 Taylor Limited NS214ce
2010 Taylor 512c
2016 Ibanez AG75
2014 Taylor GS Mini Koa e
2018 Loar LH 301t
1998 Breedlove Fall Limited # 10 of 20 Redwood/Walnut
Old 03-21-2016, 09:57 PM

The safest thing is to never leave it in the car, period. This is not easy. Lugging the instrument around with you can be a pain. Finding a safe place to place it while you eat may require some ingenuity, but that is far better than dealing with the consequences of leaving it in the car (van).
Old 03-21-2016, 10:04 PM

I'd seriously weigh the positives vis a vis negatives for taking an expensive guitar on the road, in a van. Is the hassle worth the enjoyment factor etcetera,

H
Old 03-21-2016, 10:10 PM

Frankly, I would take a beater.
Old 03-22-2016, 04:04 AM

When I travel, I generally want to be pretty carefree. If this trip doesn't have an element of important guitar involvement (attending a festival,or a workshop) I would not take a nice guitar. Worrying about an expensive guitar being stolen or damaged by temperature extremes is not something. Buy a cheap used laminate guitar, or a travel guitar, and take that.
Old 03-22-2016, 04:14 AM

If you can't afford a cheap beater, how can you afford this extended vacation? Makes no sense to me.
Old 03-22-2016, 05:35 AM

My girlfriend (now my wife) and I took a 5 month road trip around the perimeter of the States years back. I brought the only guitar I owned at the time with us. Initially I was pretty concerned but it got played around campfires, open mic nights and house jams in 44 plus states and a few Canadian provinces. Memories last a lifetime so I'd take the guitar. The following year we drove from NJ to Alaska over the course of 4 months. On the way home we needed to sell a different guitar to pay for a new CV joint in our Vanagon. Again, I'd take the guitar and hit the road, you'll never regret it. Safe travels.
Old 03-22-2016, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahorsewithnonam View Post
If you can't afford a cheap beater, how can you afford this extended vacation? Makes no sense to me.
Best advice yet. Rain drops, campfire smoke, high heat in the car, all cant be avoided. Take a cheaper guitar and have a good time.
Old 03-22-2016, 05:41 AM

Default road trip

I travel with a guitar at times. And bring a reflective tarp with me that I spread out over the inside of the car when I am way from it. That does two things: keeps my possessions hidden, and its repels some of the heat. If a thief can't see something they want, they are less likely to attempt a break-in. Assuming you travel into summer as most folks do, heat will be your biggest enemy. NO trunks, please!

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 03-22-2016, 06:17 AM
Charter Member

Find a way to buy a carbon fiber guitar, problems/worries eliminated. My CF guitar handles cold and heat without a blink.
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 03-22-2016, 06:36 AM

I would personally bring a less expensive guitar so that you won't feel concerned about bringing it out around a camp fire or letting somebody else play it or, god forbid, it gets stolen.
Ibanez AS73 w/ Lollar P90s
Old 03-22-2016, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahorsewithnonam View Post
What an inappropriate question that's absolutely none of your (or mine) business.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
bourgeois