The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-09-2016, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldguy64 View Post
But I have tested a few jumbos and have come to the conclusion that they aren't so much louder, but more balanced.
I was rather surprised at first, as I expected louder, more bass...just MORE.
My Goodall GC is notably louder than my J-200. Obviously not a direct comparison, but in fact, my J-200 is probably the quietest guitar I've ever owned. I was shocked when I first got it, and I slowly realized what you said; the added real estate isn't to make it louder, it's to give it richness and balance. It's the reason the traditional Maple J-200 doesn't really sound like "maple."
Old 03-09-2016, 09:26 AM

A disclaimer to those who are pointing out the financial merits of selling jumbos. My question is not about that. I will re-state it and do so slowly so that everyone can understand. I am not questioning whether it is financially profitable to make jumbos. Are you still with me?... Good. I am wondering why is James Goodall making big guitars (jumbo) that can't out perform his smaller guitars. Pheww... Ok, I hope that was not too hard.
Bedell TB 18G
Bedell TB 28 G 12 string
Bedell Performance Plus JB-52-12-G
Eastman AC 420
Old 03-09-2016, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkharmony View Post
My Goodall GC is notably louder than my J-200. Obviously not a direct comparison, but in fact, my J-200 is probably the quietest guitar I've ever owned. I was shocked when I first got it, and I slowly realized what you said; the added real estate isn't to make it louder, it's to give it richness and balance. It's the reason the traditional Maple J-200 doesn't really sound like "maple."
Interesting point. I didn't think of it that way. I have tried several J-200 that surprised me by how quiet they were.

Although I had a Taylor 618e (2015, GO/Jumbo) and that thing was loud AND rich sounding.
Bedell TB 18G
Bedell TB 28 G 12 string
Eastman AC 420
Old 03-09-2016, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldguy64 View Post

It sounds like you were wooing "Marilyn Monroe" and got "stuck" with "Jayne Mansfield."
Cut from the same cloth, equally beautiful...but not what you ultimately wanted.
Nice analogy.
Bedell TB 18G
Bedell TB 28 G 12 string
Eastman AC 420
Old 03-09-2016, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikravchik View Post
...I am wondering why is James Goodall making big guitars (jumbo) that can't out perform his smaller guitars...
Because apparently whatever definition you have of "out perform" that you claim is objective is not shared by everyone else. ...at least not across the spectrum of all the Goodall jumbos out there.

Not really sure what else to say unless you want me to say "because James Goodall is out of his mind" or "people are purposely choosing a guitar which they believe to be inferior," which I don't think you are wanting/expecting people to say, right?

Last edited by GraceMusik; 03-09-2016 at 09:55 AM.
Old 03-09-2016, 10:38 AM

Quote:
A disclaimer to those who are pointing out the financial merits of selling jumbos. My question is not about that. I will re-state it and do so slowly so that everyone can understand. I am not questioning whether it is financially profitable to make jumbos. Are you still with me?... Good. I am wondering why is James Goodall making big guitars (jumbo) that can't out perform his smaller guitars. Pheww... Ok, I hope that was not too hard.
Stop trolling. If you don't like jumbos, or larger Goodalls, then don't buy them.
Old 03-09-2016, 11:18 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.super fox View Post
You try one Jumbo
Koa
Hawaii made
= all Goodall Jumbo are bad

Hahahahaha!

Try Rosewood fort bragging jumbo and come back
Yeah, I don't know about the Hawaiian part, but I'll agree that judging one Goodall koa jumbo against all other Goodall jumbos is NOT a fair comparison. I'd also bet that if the OP tried out a jumbo built from rosewood and a nice spruce top that he'd be singing a different tune.

Funny, but I actually went through this scenario once. I purchased a mahogany CJ cutaway online that was a fantastic guitar in it's own right, but it didn't have the volume and lush overtones that Goodalls are typically known for. I didn't condemn CJs or Goodall guitars in any sense of the word.....quite the contrary. Instead, I looked around and ended up finding a Honduran rosewood CJ that did indeed have all those lush overtones with volume to boot, and I couldn't be happier.

My advice: get over it and move on, for there's plenty of great guitars out there that'll be much more to your liking. It might even be another Goodall jumbo!
Old 03-09-2016, 11:19 AM
Charter Member

Jumbos or small jumbos can make great sounds. How a particular guitar sounds varies with all kinds of things too numerous to even list in a discussion like this. Some of my favorite sounds come from small jumbos, like my Olson SJ.

- Glenn
Old 03-09-2016, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Wow. So much condescension. Not really necessary here.

But the answer remains the same... people want Jumbos. Financial considerations notwithstanding, some people prefer them. I used to love Jumbos - all I ever bought. Then I changed, and now I probably would never buy another.

As far as "out-performing," that's your subjective take, and clearly lots of folks disagree.

One last point; I would be willing to guess that jumbos are among the least popular model Goodall makes. But after all the years of development, why not continue to offer it? The business cost is already covered. There is no cost to make a guitar that someone wants.

Your question seems to boil down to "the Goodall jumbo is awful, so why make it?" And that's just plain wrong. The Goodall Jumbo is not awful. You just don't like it.
Old 03-09-2016, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Wait... no that's NOT how I define if a guitar sounds better or worse hahaha.

In all seriousness though, no, I was making a point that my observation was not subjective as another member has pointed out. The GC was considerably, better, louder, richer, tastier more dynamic and complex sounding. And everybody in the store noticed that too.
Ok, that makes more sense. But, someone asked something how one outperforms the other and you simply said the GC was louder. That's all. Nothing about dynamics, being richer, etc... How can I not make a conclusion that loudness was not your main if not only criteria?
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 03-09-2016, 11:50 AM

Quote:
My thought exactly. The Universal one size should fit all.

Dan
Old 03-09-2016, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Because... your... opinion... of... Goodall's... smaller... guitars... outperforming... his... larger... guitars... is... not... shared... by... everyone. Because... there... are... many... great... guitars... out... there, and... many... of... them... are... not... going... to... be... YOUR... great... guitar.

TW

(Personally I find Dreadnaughts fairly useless. Even the one's that I recognize as real good ones. Does that mean that anyone else should not want or like Dreads? Nope. Just not my personal cup of tea.)
Old 03-09-2016, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Once more,(slowly so you can understand)you can't lump all Goodall Jumbos together by assuming they all must sound like yours. They most assuredly don't. I don't associate Koa as a wood used in "cannons' such as you seem to want the guitar to be, as when you reference "out perform."

I went through several Goodalls and never found one that could match the Cocobolo Grand Concert that was my very first Goodall. I was fairly surprised but I never questioned why they continued making the other models. That seems very misguided to me.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 03-09-2016, 10:18 PM

Default problems

1) You are drawing conclusions from a sampling of one. Because that one doesn't do it for you doesn't necessarily mean another won't.

2) Others are doing the opposite: trying to force the conclusion they have drawn from other jumbos to an instrument they have not seen nor heard.

This stuff happens all the time, and it's not good science. We are apparently all amateurs & enthusiasts, not scientists.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 03-09-2016, 10:44 PM

If the only Golden State Warrior game you saw was last weekend's game against the Lakers, you would ask why is Steph Curry in the NBA?
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
goodall