The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-18-2015, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleestack View Post
Have you tried them on the santa Cruz yet?
I have indeed. In my opinion, both guitars sound much better with the mediums (Elixir Nano's on the SC), but I am a bassist turned acoustic player, so go figure. It just seems like more of everything, if that makes sense, with the mediums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
Interesting. My 1998 Larrivée OM-03W came factory stock with medium strings, too, (all Larrivée guitars did back then,) but unlike your guitar it's continued to thrive strung with mediums. It's never had anything else on it: the only change I made was going from the D'Addario medium gauge phosphor bronze strings that were put on at the factory to the John Pearse medium gauge phosphor bronze strings that I prefer.

And in case any of you might be wondering whether I know those medium D'Addario strings were factory stock for certain, yes, in fact, I do, as I picked out the guitar at the factory and was allowed to buy it and take it home.

So, short version: Don is correct, Larrivée OM's used to be strung with mediums at the factory. It's interesting that yours has changed, Don. I'm glad to say that mine has not, other than breaking in tonally. But mediums still make it sing.

Wade Hampton Miller
Interesting Wade (and Don), thanks for the insight.

I've heard stories similar to Don's - essentially that after the guitar is played enough, it breaks in, the top frees up, etc... all it will need is lights to get the tone out, and that anything heavier will choke it.

I am curious Wade, about the Pearse PB mediums. I'm using D'Addario EJ17's on the OMJM (moved up from the EJ16's), and these are a great tone. But, I've heard many good things about the Pearse strings and need to try them out. Interestingly, I am seriously considering a Larrivee OM-05 that I've had the opportunity to hear recorded and it sounds phenomenal.
Old 04-18-2015, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gruuv View Post
I am curious Wade, about the Pearse PB mediums. I'm using D'Addario EJ17's on the OMJM (moved up from the EJ16's), and these are a great tone. But, I've heard many good things about the Pearse strings and need to try them out. Interestingly, I am seriously considering a Larrivee OM-05 that I've had the opportunity to hear recorded and it sounds phenomenal.
Gruuv, the John Pearse phosphor bronze don't have as much treble response as the D'Addario phosphor have. They have more going on in the lower end of the spectrum, and overall are more complex harmonically.

A capsule comparison might be that the D'Addario phosphors are "brighter and cleaner" sounding, while the Pearse phosphor are "darker and more complex."

Hope that makes sense.

whm
Old 04-18-2015, 04:15 PM

I'm going the other way. My 1st Edition 618e came with mediums, and I am switching to lights..

Taylor 514ce FLTD, Sitka/Tasmanian Blackwood from Ted at LA Guitar Sales
Taylor 618e 1st Edition, Sitka/maple (2015)
Taylor 814ce, Sitka/Rosewood (2014)
Taylor 526ce, all Mahogany (2014)
Baby Taylor, mahogany (2014)
Taylor 210ce (2014) (on consignment)
PRS S2 Custom semi-hollow body
Fender Blacktop Stratocaster
Gibson Les Paul Studio Pro 120th
Gibson SG Classic 120th
Old 04-18-2015, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
Gruuv, the John Pearse phosphor bronze don't have as much treble response as the D'Addario phosphor have. They have more going on in the lower end of the spectrum, and overall are more complex harmonically.

A capsule comparison might be that the D'Addario phosphors are "brighter and cleaner" sounding, while the Pearse phosphor are "darker and more complex."

Hope that makes sense.

whm
Awesome, thanks. Sounds like the D'Addarios are a better fit for the OMJM (naturally has a lot of low end), but the Larrivee I may pick up might be a good candidate for the Pearse PB's as it's mahogany/sitka and has a great deal of natural treble response already.
Old 04-18-2015, 08:32 PM

It depends upon the OM. I would never dream of putting a full medium set on a TJ Thompson OM-28 with an ebony rod and no traverse brace.

I would have no issue with putting them on a Wayne Henderson OM whatsoever.

The Martin Standard and Vintage series OMs take to Mediums no problem. You could put them on the Authentics, but the guitar will not breathe and glow nearly as much.

Another option is using a set that has a medium 13, 17, and 56 on the e, b, and E string, but light gauge strings for the G, D, and A strings.

Laurence Juber has been using that set for many years, which GHS calls True Medium. Newtone and others offer sets with those gauges, and now Juber is endorsing a new Martin set with those gauges. Unfortunately (for me) the new Martin/Juber strings are monel strings, which I just don't care for. I really think they were meant for magnetic pickups.

But the point of such a mixed set is the advantage of mediums for the treble and very bottom end, while keeping the overall tension down below a full medium set.

I have used them for years just by buying a light and medium set and using the ones I want, since my favorite Martin Marquis strings do not come with those gauges. They are ideal for DADGAD since the three stings that detune happen to be the mediums.
Old 04-18-2015, 11:37 PM

Most OM's will take mediums but why would you want to. Fingerpicking is much I easier with lights and they are much more versatile to me. I even use lights on my D-28. Much easier to play and tone is right there. Unless you are trying to thump some heavy bluegrass all the time you can work with them.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion