The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 08-12-2014, 06:11 AM
Dan - Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelabarum View Post
I am not familiar with forum and years ago I thought I would get notified by email if there's any response to the post, but I guess I didn't check the "notify by email" little box. So I thought no one responded.
Hi Phil, good to hear from you. If you want to be notified automatically on any thread you contribute to, go here: http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...do=editoptions and change the setting in "Default Thread Subscription Mode" to something that will send you email.
Old 08-12-2014, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelabarum View Post
Hello,

I have a Martin Jumbo Mahogany (0000 size) since 15 years ago, I like it but somehow it's body size is a bit too big for me.

Because of sentimental value, I really wanna use it as my main guitar but since it's size, it somehow always keep me from sticking with it.

I wanna have it converted as below:
1) Converted to OM size
2) Change the laminated Mahogany back and sides to solid woods
3) Replace a new fingerboard
4) Change to Butterbean Tuners
5) I wanna keep the top and the neck, the top is Solid Sitka Spruce

The diameter of the sound hole is same as my Martin Belleza Nera OM, I guess it could be converted/cut into OM size top, I mean technically?

I know most of the people will suggest me to just order a new guitar or just keep the neck or just don't convert it at all.

However, I really wanna stick with it and to stick with it I have to convert it into an OM. (Ok, ok, it'a personal preference thing.)

Could you please suggest any luthier willing to do the job? Thanks so much!

Best,
Phil
I'm late to this party, but the only thing on this list that is a viable change, is to change to butterbean tuners.
Perhaps that you haven't found anyone to do this in all this time is probative of the "folly" of this course.
By the time you've replaced all the crap you want to replace or change...you'll be the proud owner of a "hundred year old axe" that's had 5 handles, and 4 blades.

You are basically proposing taking a "Cadillac" and turning it into an El Camino, for an exorbitant amount of time and money.
It would be far easier, and way cheaper, to just find an "El Camino" that fits your needs. Add to that, your "Cadillac" is pretty rare to boot.

In the event you just want to spend a bunch of money, I'll give you my PO box and you can just send me a one pound box of hundred dollar bills, and your address so I can send you a decent already built OM, and a thank you card.

Alvarez 5013
Alvarez MD70CE
Alvarez PD85S
Alvarez AJ60SC
Alvarez ABT610e
Alvarez-Yairi GY1
Takamine P3DC
Takamine GJ72CE-12-NAT
Godin Multiac Steel.
Journey Instruments OF660
Gibson G45

Last edited by Oldguy64; 08-12-2014 at 06:57 AM.
Old 08-12-2014, 09:51 AM
AGF Sponsor

The problem with this plan lies in reusing the top. If the OP would instead be willing to reuse only the neck it is far more feasible. The neck is the human interface of the guitar and is the part most familiar and most like to trigger nostalgic response, especially once the body shape is changed.

The top and or the back plates could be salvaged once removed by shaving their braces off, resizing them for the new rim set, and rebracing them. But the process will also alter the thickness of the plates and possibly compromise them in other ways, even in the unlikely event that the finish can be saved. And if the finish cannot be saved, which is more likely, refinishing a top will always alter it is less than desirable ways, assuming it was built right in the first place. Besides, the sound hole on larger guitars is bigger than on smaller guitars, and that is an interesting challenge with no easy aesthetically suitable solution.

Surely there is a builder here willing to make a new guitar using an existent neck?
Old 08-12-2014, 11:42 AM

Hey Dan, thank you. I just changed the setting, hopefully, there will be no more embarrassment in the future

And thanks for your suggestion Bruce, there is a crack at the neck, it's been repaired for a few times thru all these years. Once in a while I will have it glued again. I don't know, but I have heard people break the neck completely and glue it back so to prevent it from cracking again.

I understand others might think it's not logical/crazy/stupid decision to have it resized but what I am thinking is if something has a sentimental value, the best to do is to keep making music by it and make it you can comfortably use at the same time. You know, resizing it is not really math and IMHO, hang it on the wall is a not bad choice but that would be more meaningful if I can keep my instrument close to myself both musically and sonically.

I didn't really expect it to sound as good as it used to, I really understand it's not really technically viable to make it sound really good if been resized. I don't really mind it just sound okay or not really good but I would be more sad if I just hang it on the wall.

I must say I am not rich and I couldn't afford high ended luthier made guitars, so I just wanna see if there's chance to make it happen both financially and technically.

Anyway, thanks again for all your inputs
Old 08-12-2014, 02:07 PM

My opinion for what it's worth....echo's many of the same. Hang that guitar on the wall next to your chair at the dining room table...pull it down and start practicing as I do as soon as you have eaten (and finished ahead of everyone else).... get a new guitar built.

Olson Brazilian Dread #1325
Olson Brazilian SJ #1350
Olson Tiger Myrtle Dread #1355
Olson Brazilian Jumbo #1351
Olson 12-string Jumbo (one of only a few)
Martin D-42 Johnny Cash #51/200 (only 80 made)
And a few others

Quite a few limited edition and rare Martins
-----------------

http://www.kekomusic.com
Old 08-12-2014, 02:50 PM

So... nobody has given a serious answer as to what it would cost to reuse the top and neck... Off the top of my head, I'd be surprised if anybody would do that for under about $3K... and the luthiers who have responded here would charge significantly more if they would do it.

Add the info about a cracked neck and the entire plan becomes even less tenable. The Manzer wedge mod would make the most sense and be closer to affordable. Personally, I'd go with hanging the guitar on the wall and playing it every now and then while purchasing the guitar that speaks to you now.
that's me on guitar
Old 08-13-2014, 01:21 PM

Your plan will be more expensive than having a new guitar build by a luthier, sorry to say that. Better to keep your Jumbo and live with its size or sell it and get an OM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop