The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 08-02-2013, 05:57 PM

Just another thought. A couple of years ago, I was looking for a used 12 string and talked with Robin at the Guitar Gallery. She said she had one of the best used 12 strings she had heard in years come thru her shop and it was a BILL TIPPIN slope shoulder, 12 fret in BRW and German spruce. It is still on her website; although the sound clip is mostly a strummed piece and doesn't tell you much about what it might do as a fingerstyle guitar.... I had her send it to me to try and it is actually an amazing 12 string, whether strumming in full cannon mode, (as you'll see on the website)...or playing soft passages in fingerstyle mode.....It has a deep/warm lower end, and doesn't have that "jangly" edge that most 12 strings tend to have in the mids and highs...Clear, balanced, wonderful sound overall!.....Bill builds some incredible guitars and also has an amazing wood stash; one of the best I've come across in a long time. I am always a bit surprised that he doesn't garner more BUZZ on the forum as I think he is right up there with some of the top luthiers that are in demand today...
Old 08-02-2013, 07:03 PM
Charter Member

Cool 12 Stings

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCharter View Post
I said that those larger Guilds strike me as being more suited for strummers. Perhaps should I have said "my strumming". But who cares? May I have that polite opinion even if there are some fine fingerstylists who play them?

If you think that people would rather take my "striking" than to look for fingerstyle musicians who play Guilds (or even to go out and try one themselves), then you are probably over-estimating the importance of my opinion (or under-estimating people's ability to have their own opinion).

You know, we're not here to save lives and it'd be much cooler if you didn't point out every little detail about my posts that doesn't seem to align in your view.
I actually thought that Larry's post was informative. I didn't know that there were fingerstyle players playing and seeking out Guild 12 strings. I guess your definition of "cool" and mine are different.
Old 08-02-2013, 07:29 PM
Humanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocobolo Kid View Post
I actually thought that Larry's post was informative. I didn't know that there were fingerstyle players playing and seeking out Guild 12 strings. I guess your definition of "cool" and mine are different.

The value of information on any forum is only as good as the member knowledge base, and for getting correct-information out whenever possible.

It's true that we're not saving lives...but sweeping generalizations, when incorrect, bear correcting.

Taking personal offense when corrections are made, and/or when better information is presented is contraindicated for the knowledge-base and overall wisdom of the forum.

None of us have *all* the answers, although some come close! The more-experienced builders here are awfully-great when it comes to how freely they share their knowledge; Al, Haans, Bruce, Howard, Harvey, et al, all have decades of building and valuable experience under their belts. When they speak, I listen and learn.

I can't thank them enough for their participation, their sharing, their correcting *me* when and as necessary, and all that they bring to the forum.

I like to get things straight...even when I'm wrong.

...and I agree that *I* was wrong in saying to just "go with Sitka"...of course Haans understands that the right piece of Adirondack will handle more than a lot of other woods.

Peace out...
100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner

Last edited by RP; 08-02-2013 at 09:25 PM.
Old 08-02-2013, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete12string View Post
Here they are.

Fraulini Angelina 12: Mahogany back and sides.

Fraulini Annunziata 12: Maple back and sides.

Hauver Auditorium 12: Mahogany back and sides.
Whew! These hit the mark as perfectly and as beautifully as I've seen!
Old 08-03-2013, 05:48 AM

I was reading this thread this AM, and couldn't get over the statement that Guild 12-strings aren't good for fingerstyle. I thought they were known for clarity and separation of notes. In fact, all of mine share those attributes. I was noodling around a few minutes ago, and recorded this on a Guild jumbo. Bad for fingerstyle? Even with my questionable playing, I think not.
https://soundcloud.com/atkinsonkw/crosscountry
Old 08-03-2013, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocobolo Kid View Post
Mau,

Kevin Ryan has made some spectacular 12-strings. I've drooled over more than one. I'm sure if you talked with Kevin, he could get the sound you're after. His aesthetics and workmanship are at the caliber your after as well, especially his Signature series.

John
Yes, Kevin Ryan can make a stellar 12 string guitar, although I would say it probably falls more into the "modern" category, rather than "traditional".

I definitely love the tone I get out of my Ryan 12 string. I'm amazed that it's actually lighter than the Taylor K28e I recently picked up.
Taylor 855
Taylor 614ceL7
Taylor T5 koa - SOLD
Taylor K55 all koa - SOLD
Old 08-03-2013, 01:01 PM

Mistakenly posted this on the wrong 12 string thread - duh

I'm biased Joe - what about a George Lowden Luthier build.
I'm a jumbo kinda guy and had the lone of an O32 12'er - superb player with a sound to match, made me wonder just what on earth a' custom' + my choice of tonewoods would sound and play like.

Cuban / Adirondack ? in an F size if the O is 'too much to handle'.

Oh a taster with a fair bit o' processing going on but you'll get the idea -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5obvI0IQONM
Old 08-03-2013, 01:20 PM

Default 1969 Guild F512 Custom Brazilian - ANGELIC - (sound clips)

Here ya go JoeCharter and Charlesa.......you're gonna like this........

Concerning Guild 12 Strings not being suited for Fingerstyle:

My good Friend and playing partner Duffy Callaway ("mcduffnw" on the forum here) came over a few months back to help me do some recording. He brought his 1969 Guild F512 Custom Brazilian with him. Now mind you, I have known he has this Guitar and actually heard it a year or so ago.....BUT.....

I must have been suffering from "Vintage Guild GRAIL Tonal Amnesia" because when he pulled it out and started playing...I thought the Angles were singin' in my Front Room! I quickly grabbed my little Zoom H2 and got some clips. I've been around and heard lots and lots of 12 strings Guys, and I use alot of adjectives at times to describe tone. I had no idea any 12 string.....I mean any 12 string couild sound like this.....

SIMPLY ANGELIC TONE! That is the only word I can/could think of.....ENJOY!

http://www.soundclick.com/player/sin...&q=hi&newref=1

http://www.soundclick.com/player/sin...&q=hi&newref=1

Best,
MRT

Last edited by dadthrash; 08-03-2013 at 01:34 PM.
Old 08-03-2013, 01:23 PM

Default Here's what she look like "TRADITIONAL"!

And here's the proud owner.......my Buddy "mcduffnw"....

Best,
MRT
Old 08-03-2013, 04:17 PM

Hmm, guess traditional means different things to different folks...
To some it might be the Seekers, to me it's Leadbelly and my old, dear departed friend Dave Ray, probably in the early '70's at Newport with his first Holzapfel. Just can't get much more traditional than that!

Old 08-03-2013, 04:34 PM
Humanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haans View Post
Hmm, guess traditional means different things to different folks...
To some it might be the Seekers, to me it's Leadbelly and my old, dear departed friend Dave Ray, probably in the early '70's at Newport with his first Holzapfel. Just can't get much more traditional than that!

Excellent.

Earlier I went looking for any videos on YouTube with Pete Seeger playing his triangular sound-hole 12-stringer, and someone has done gone and taken them all down.

I'm upset.

Bob Gibson playing his old Bozo 12-string in the late 1960s would be *somewhat* traditional...

...and hey, I think I've got one of Rev. Gary Davis...:

Man, do I *love* Bozo's work...
100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner
Old 08-03-2013, 05:43 PM

Ahhh... 12 lovers unite! Some great thoughts in this thread from the folks who really know! Really enjoying the read through it. No question "traditional" means different things to different people here.

To the OP... I know a lot of 12 players who are growing old with their instruments and finding that playability is becoming more important to them than sound... I know this is a factor for 6-string instruments too, but it's more so for 12s. What I'm saying is that if you get a custom instrument, you should be able to have your cake and eat it too; make sure it has a size and an action that will never put you off and that's as important as making sure it has the body style, etc. that you want.
Ibanez: 1980 AW-75 (Owari Asahi), 1982 M310 Maple series, 2012 AWS1000ECE Artwood Studio (MIC)
Favilla: ~1960 C-5 classical (NYC)
Old 08-03-2013, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadthrash View Post
Love these...thanks for sharing them with us!
Old 08-04-2013, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Pattis View Post
Excellent.

Earlier I went looking for any videos on YouTube with Pete Seeger playing his triangular sound-hole 12-stringer, and someone has done gone and taken them all down.

I'm upset.

Bob Gibson playing his old Bozo 12-string in the late 1960s would be *somewhat* traditional...

...and hey, I think I've got one of Rev. Gary Davis...:

Man, do I *love* Bozo's work...
Nice photo Larry! Bozo's were rather interesting 12's and he had that "thick top" down. Holzapfels were around 3/16" thick!
There used to be a COLOR vid of Leadbelly standing on a trailer bed playing "Green Corn" on uTube, but that's gone too. That one really pi**es me off as he was soooo good and shows his shuffle. Dave did his version of the shuffle, but his was a little different.
Old 08-04-2013, 07:13 AM

Vimeo still has this one http://vimeo.com/28347742 .

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop