The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-06-2011, 12:42 AM

Default LR Baggs Para Acoustic DI

Hi all,

Here's my story - please bear with me as I'm a newb:

Just got a K&K Mini installed into my new Martin OM-28V. Plugged it into my Vox AC15C1 (just to see if the PUP works) and it sounds great.

A couple of days later I bought a LR Baggs Para Acoustic DI as a pre-amp so I could have some sort of onstage control. I tested the DI with my Vox amp (again, just to see if it works) and no sound (guitar--> input of ParaDI --> 1/4" output of ParaDI--> vox amp). I took it back to Long & Mcquade (where I bought it from) and the guy said that it should work, tried it on one of his acoustic amps and still didn't work.

We assumed it was a dud. He got me a new ParaDI and we tested it on the acoustic amp. It worked, albeit we had to turn up the acoustic amp WAY up for it to get a loud enough volume. Good enough I thought, so I exchanged it. Now I'm trying it on my Vox again and there were faint sounds - kind of cutting in and out. Again, you must turn up volume all the way up. At least it was an improvement (some sort of sound)... but still, not what I was expecting.

Now, I'm not 100% too worried because the ParaDI will mainly be used for church use when I go through the mixer then through the main house (i.e. not going through any kind of amp). I haven't tried it yet, but will get to in about a week.

My question is: should the DI box be working on my amps (even though I'm using electric amp)? I don't understand why it wouldnt? My local K&K dealer has the exact same setup (K&K mini into paraAcoustic DI into small acoustic amp) with no problems at all???
Old 12-06-2011, 05:21 AM

Location: Don't mess with Texas. Now it is somewhere in cold Germany.

Edit: Just noticed this was your first post! Welcome to AFG!

Quote:
Originally Posted by leejo View Post
Hi all,

No need for that, this forum is to ask even the most silly question! I am quite new to all this myself, but I hope my little knowledge helps you!

It shouldn't give u problems. DI boxes are made to split your guitar's signal.. Allowing you to use the PA system and your amp at the same time. Let me put your question aside for a minute.

If you are using your amp as a monitor (thats the way it sounds), your doing it wrong. The sound coming out of the PA and amp is not the same because of the splitting. If you want a monitor, your signal should create a loop/cycle and not a split. You can ask your soundman to give you either a wireless/wired headphone monitor, or an actual monitor speaker pointing at you.

Back to your question, it may be silly, but have you checked the condition of your cables? Perhaps it is time to get new ones? Perhaps your equipment is TOO close to other amp or overlapping cables? This creates tons of problems!

Important! You mentioned that he plugged it into an ACOUSTIC amp, well.. Your using an acoustic guitar, with a sweet K&K pickup, with an acoustic preamp/DI.. then you should complete the set! Get an acoustic amp, Vox are made for electric, there is really no point of getting acoustic gear, and at the end not getting the sound u paid for.. When I connect my acoustic guitar to my Fender amp.. everything goes wrong, the sound is nasty. (I recommend a Fishman Loudbox Artist 120W or a Carvin)

Is your K&K mini a passive transducer? If it is, then the problem may be there, because passive transducers have a distance limit, since they are not powered by batteries (Reason why it sounds so nice when plugged only to your amp, that is a short distance) . So you are running the signal from your guitar to your amp and to the soundboard (long way), and if your DI box has a 9 volt battery it may be drained by now. First try replacing it, it that works then you know where is the problem. A solution would be to buy the AC adapter.

If none of that worked.. then.. a more experience player will surely aid you here! Hehe!

Last edited by luisito8m; 12-06-2011 at 05:25 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 12-06-2011, 06:23 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leejo View Post
Hi all,

Just got a K&K Mini installed into my new Martin OM-28V. Plugged it into my Vox AC15C1 (just to see if the PUP works) and it sounds great.

A couple of days later I bought a LR Baggs Para Acoustic DI as a pre-amp so I could have some sort of onstage control. I tested the DI with my Vox amp (again, just to see if it works) and no sound (guitar--> input of ParaDI --> 1/4" output of ParaDI--> vox amp). I took it back to Long & Mcquade (where I bought it from) and the guy said that it should work, tried it on one of his acoustic amps and still didn't work.

We assumed it was a dud. He got me a new ParaDI and we tested it on the acoustic amp. It worked, albeit we had to turn up the acoustic amp WAY up for it to get a loud enough volume. Good enough I thought, so I exchanged it. Now I'm trying it on my Vox again and there were faint sounds - kind of cutting in and out. Again, you must turn up volume all the way up. At least it was an improvement (some sort of sound)... but still, not what I was expecting.

Now, I'm not 100% too worried because the ParaDI will mainly be used for church use when I go through the mixer then through the main house (i.e. not going through any kind of amp). I haven't tried it yet, but will get to in about a week.

My question is: should the DI box be working on my amps (even though I'm using electric amp)? I don't understand why it wouldnt? My local K&K dealer has the exact same setup (K&K mini into paraAcoustic DI into small acoustic amp) with no problems at all???
Hi leejo...

First of all Hello and Welcome to the forum!

Troubleshooting the volume…(assuming all your cables are good):
  • First check/change the 9 volt battery in the paraDI
  • Second, check the volume of the K&K and guitar without the ParaDI...it should be hot.
  • Third Plug the K&K into the ParaDI and out to the amp
  • Last, check that the ''gain'' control on the front edge of the ParaDI and be sure it's turned up before turning up the Volume (top face) - Gain is on the front edge with the input/output jacks (small knob to right), and Volume on the top face. Both work together to control the overall volume

A typical setting with K&Ks is Gain 11 o'clock to noon (assuming noon straight up), and Volume 10 to noon. You should be able to blow the speakers up with all the volume you get. The K&K by itself provides a very hot signal, and the preamp will help shape the tone.

There is also no need for an external power supply. If you plug it into the church PA via the XLR (mic cable) output, and turn phantom power on at the PA mixer, it will bypass the battery and power the ParaDI from the board. We use several of these in our Worship Team setup. They are good preamps.

Hope this helps...

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

Last edited by ljguitar; 12-06-2011 at 06:30 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Tags
amp, k&k, lr baggs, om-28v, problem