The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 08-06-2011, 11:12 AM

Default New "Performance" model for Healdsburg

The first of my "Performance" model guitars will be for sale at Healdsburg. It's a 14 fret 00.

Not exactly a stripped down guitar; it has a medium curl koa back and side set, AAA western red cedar top, mahogany neck, and Madagascar rosewood fretboard, bridge, binding, and front and back headstock veneers. The endgraft is Gonçalo alves.

I have been playing this guitar myself almost daily for the past month, and am getting quite attached to it. If I don't sell it now, I probably won't be able to let it go. It sounds more like a 000. Loud, clear, balanced, all there, fun to play. 1-3/4" nut, 2-1/4" bridge spacing, 24.9" scale. Gotoh 510 tuners, TKL hard case.

More Healdsburg guitars to follow soon.

Last edited by rlouie; 08-06-2011 at 02:05 PM. Reason: prices removed, this is not the Classified section
Old 08-06-2011, 01:51 PM
Charter Member

Howard, that's a really sweet deal (even has a soundport). Can't imagine you'll be coming home with it. Is this typical of your OO model, as it seems the sound hole is higher than what I'm used to seeing; seems it has a lot of soundboard below the hole. The waist also seems higher on the body; that would work out well for someone like me that holds it on their left knee; maybe lessen the reach to the 1st position.

Again, very nice instrument.

2012 Carruth 12-fret 000 in Pernambuco and Adi
2010 Poling Sierra in Cuban Mahogany and Lutz
2015 Posch 13-fret 00 in Indian Rosewood and Adi
Old 08-06-2011, 02:09 PM

Thumbs up

OOF!

Total bargain...someone will surely snap that up in short order!

Crikey.....
Old 08-06-2011, 02:33 PM

Looks quite the article, Howard, and like my compatriot above, I have no doubt you will not be returning with it. I have sent a message to Tony McManus to go check it out. (You need to catch his concert on Friday btw, and also his demo for Michael Greenfield )

Finally, big kudos to Howard for being the only luthier ever to spell Gonçalo Alves correctly, ie with a cedilla.

Last edited by rlouie; 08-06-2011 at 07:07 PM.
Old 08-06-2011, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
Howard, that's a really sweet deal (even has a soundport). Can't imagine you'll be coming home with it. Is this typical of your OO model, as it seems the sound hole is higher than what I'm used to seeing; seems it has a lot of soundboard below the hole. The waist also seems higher on the body; that would work out well for someone like me that holds it on their left knee; maybe lessen the reach to the 1st position.

Again, very nice instrument.
Chuck, thanks for looking and asking. This is my standard 14-fret 00 body. It is my own design. I improve the bass response by making it longer than a Martin in the lower bout, and placing the soundhole slightly higher. Good eye.
Old 08-06-2011, 04:00 PM

Lovely guitar Howard.
Old 08-06-2011, 06:11 PM

Hey...whats going on here? First a weakening of the knees with the Dread and now this! I like it Howard!
Old 08-06-2011, 06:50 PM
Charter Member

Wow, Howard, that is a beauty, too. I wouldn't have recognized the back and sides woods as Koa. What a great looking guitar.

- Glenn
Old 08-06-2011, 08:10 PM

Gulp!!! Wow, that guitar looks alive! I'll bet it sounds amazing.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop