The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 06-30-2011, 05:39 AM
sharp_custom

Congratulations!!! Beautiful!! I love Simon's work and would love to own one. I still don't own a guitar of my own.

You are one lucky person!!

Enjoy
Old 06-30-2011, 05:56 AM
Charter Member

Stunning! Congrats, Hen! Well done, Simon too.

Kindly,
Danny
Old 06-30-2011, 06:00 AM

As a wannabe guitar builder, I'm constantly inspired by the fine instruments on display in the various build threads and I'm a daily visitor to this forum for that reason alone. I haven't heard one of Simon's guitars and likely never will, but aesthetically at least, they tick all the boxes for me: first-class materials, breathtaking craftsmanship and an outstanding sense of balance in the design sense. I'm even liking the stripy redwood tops these days Hen!
Old 06-30-2011, 01:21 PM

These are the final pics to post until I receive this beauty. The backstory is that this is one of two spec guitars that Simon started the second half of last year, and he mentioned them (in their unfinished state) on the AGF. After receiving Simon's roadtrip guitar, it confirmed a lot of what I had heard and read about his guitars, and helped justify (in my mind at least) a reason to have a Fay in the fold.

Anywho....As many of you know, I'm a sucker for redwood - sinker especially - so I followed this guitar with interest, and conversed with Simon about it and finally committed to buying it, but it had to be on a payment plan because of the other builds I had already planned for this year (this purchase being completely unplanned). That's when I started on my "culling" process to sell some guitars to make room (physically and fiscally) for this purchase.

I hit a bump in the road when the time came to put in the first phase of our Solar PV (due to a decrease in some investments I was going to use to fund that), so it almost looked like I was going to have to pass on the purchase. Luckily, some things worked out with culling my herd, and on the investment front, that allowed me to move forward with this beauty. Its almost paid off, and I am very much looking forward to adding this one to my collection.

Through all of this, Simon has been wonderful to deal with, and offered many times to work with me on the payment schedule, as well as suggesting a future build instead, if I couldn't pull things together. All in all, a great guy that is one of the nicest luthiers I've dealt with.....

Funny thing is, I don't think I've had a "bad" luthier experience yet. All of them have been great...is it the luck of the draw or the fact that they are AGF Sponsors or Members. Hmmmmm.....coincidence? I think not
Clark: A-Wedge Monkeypod/Snkr Rdwd
Cornerstone: Zion All Koa
Cornerstone: Tenor Ukulele Prototype #2 All Koa
Fay: OM Mac Eb/Englemann
Stehr: Aud. Braz/Snkr Rdwd 8-str

Plaid Coyote's gone home to play

Last edited by hnuuhiwa; 06-30-2011 at 08:17 PM.
Old 06-30-2011, 03:29 PM

That's a beauty... Very nice guitar!
Old 07-13-2011, 07:05 PM

Yay! Yay! Its a Fay!

Well, the DarkHorse has landed (hmmmm....I think I like that name) and its an amazing guitar.

First off, the workmanship is as one would expect from Simon...in a word exquisite. It is a very simple guitar with minimal accents (purfling lines and the rosette aside), but very stately in its overall appearance.

The size of the Fay OM is very comfortable, and the action is well suited to fingerstyle. I had to look twice at the distance between the strings and the frets, as they seemed to be so close that there should be fret buzz, but there isn't any. Makes for very easy fingering and holds up surprisingly well even being strummed.

The combination of the sinker with the Nigerian Ebony makes for a resounding tone. There is almost a "crystaline" sound, with very clear string to string separation, yet the color of the redwood (full, lush) is also present. That statement seems to be somewhat of an oxymoron, but that is the best way I can describe what I'm hearing with this little cannon.

Oh, and talk about cannon, the sheer volume that comes out of this guitar is probably only matched by my Edwinson, for normal finger picking on a guitar of similar size. It is certainly not a shy guitar when you don't want it to be and has no problem making itself be heard.

The body of the DarkHorse feels like a thoroughbred that has been put through its paces. With each string that is plucked, individually or in combination, the resulting resonance is felt throughout the body (back, top, sides, neck....seems like everywhere), like the rippling muscles of a great stallion winning a race.

The DarkHorse is definitely an extraordinary stimulant for the visual, aural and tactile senses. I had to make several trades, and sell several guitars to acquire this beauty and I am pleased.

Mahalo Simon

Old 07-13-2011, 07:10 PM
Humanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnuuhiwa View Post
<<snip>>

I had to make several trades, and sell several guitars to acquire this beauty and I am pleased.

Certainly worth the trades, etc.

Congrats to both you and Simon!
100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner
Old 07-13-2011, 08:09 PM

Great looking guitar. I still have one of Simon's proto guitars, #7, and that sold me one him as a seriously good builder as well as a great guy to work with. I'd love to play a new one, just too see the evolution.
Old 07-14-2011, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Pattis View Post
Certainly worth the trades, etc.

Congrats to both you and Simon!
Thanks Larry, yes...it is worth the trades, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregc View Post
Great looking guitar. I still have one of Simon's proto guitars, #7, and that sold me one him as a seriously good builder as well as a great guy to work with. I'd love to play a new one, just too see the evolution.
Thanks Greg...I've read a lot of good things about Simon over the last couple years, but it was the roadtrip guitar that got me seriously considering a Fay. Then when this one became available, and with my love for redwood - sinker in particular - I was hooked. Glad Simon reeled me in

Old 07-14-2011, 07:10 AM
Charter Member

nice job Simon! the back is amazing-the new shape is also elegant! I need to sign up for the next roadtrip-
Schecter California Classic Strat 1990s
Old 07-14-2011, 07:40 AM

Congratulations, Braddah! That is one beautiful guitar!
Old 07-14-2011, 09:31 AM

Your DarkHorse is one stunning guitar and it sounds as though it is a very special one also.

Enjoy,
BK
Old 07-14-2011, 01:25 PM

Congrats to the both of you!! A beauty to look at....... and since the roadtrip guitar also visited here I think I can understand your choice!! Sound clips seem like a fine idea :-).....

Old 07-14-2011, 04:48 PM

Just beautiful. It's rare that I see a guitar where there isn't at least one small thing that doesn't quite work for me. Everything on this guitar works together. Very classy and elegant and it stands out without being in your face.
Old 07-14-2011, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkham13 View Post
nice job Simon! the back is amazing-the new shape is also elegant! I need to sign up for the next roadtrip-
Watch out! Roadtrip guitars maybe hazardous to your bank account .

Quote:
Originally Posted by theotigno View Post
Congratulations, Braddah! That is one beautiful guitar!

Mahalo Theo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bk314159 View Post
Your DarkHorse is one stunning guitar and it sounds as though it is a very special one also.

Enjoy,
BK
Thanks BK, I have been very lucky when its come to "spec" guitars, and this one is among the best. I count my Kwasnycia, Gwaltney and a Paragon I used to have in that "spec" guitar group....

Quote:
Originally Posted by propower View Post
Congrats to the both of you!! A beauty to look at....... and since the roadtrip guitar also visited here I think I can understand your choice!! Sound clips seem like a fine idea :-).....
Thanks...I thought about getting a soundclip done, but since I don't have any recording equipment, I fear that using my iPad running Garageband may not do the DarkHorse justice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent Chasson View Post
Just beautiful. It's rare that I see a guitar where there isn't at least one small thing that doesn't quite work for me. Everything on this guitar works together. Very classy and elegant and it stands out without being in your face.
Thanks Kent... I've admired your work for sometime now, and knowing your sense of aesthetics and design, I very much appreciate your comments (and am sure that Simon does as well).

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop