The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-17-2018, 07:33 PM

Default Not so NGD

I bought a Gibson FVG 1935 Jumbo from a fellow forum member maybe a month ago. It was made in 2003 for Fuller’s Vintage Guitars and is modeled after the original Gibson Jumbo.

I had a j45-tv for 11 years. It was/is a great guitar and served me well, but the more old Gibson’s I played, the more I wanted that sound. The 40’s Gibson’s have an immediacy, and crisp but warm fundamental sound. They also cost a lot and often need work or will need work soon.

After many text messages with the seller of the FVG 1935 Jumbo, it seemed this guitar might be a way to get closer to that sound than my J45 TV.

It arrived. I played it for 30 seconds and knew it had more of what I was wanting. I played it back to back against the J-45 TV, and while they both sound great, the 1935 Jumbo sounds closer to the old ones I’ve come to love. By a lot. I put the j-45 on Craigslist and sold it in a couple days.

I made a new bone saddle and installed a trance amulet m pickup in it. All of which made it all that much better. I’m pleased. Quite pleased. Both unplugged and plugged in, it sounds fantastic.

Next up... get that OM that I’ve been wanting...

IMG_0992.jpg

IMG_0914.jpg

IMG_0993.jpg
Old 04-17-2018, 07:59 PM

That is one good looking guitar. From the sound of your description I bet it sounds stellar. I am lusting after an advanced jumbo myself.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion