The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-09-2018, 01:15 AM

Default Takamine CTP-3 vs CT4-Dx Pro Series

OK....which is best (recognising of course that it is all subjective)?
I am also puzzled about which is supposed to be fitted on the Pro Series guitars. The Takamine website describes all the pro series as having the CTP-3, but I have seen quite a few, online and in shops, with the DX. When I have queried this I have been told the CT4-DX is an upgrade, but I am not convinced.
Anyone any the wiser?
Old 04-09-2018, 03:54 AM

The Takamine affiocionados don't have a lot of good things to say about the CT4-DX - and the CTP-3 isn't seen as much of an improvement over the CTP-2, which is still the favourite of many regular gigging pros.
Dazzo 70's & SunnAudio Stage DI
Old 04-09-2018, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyC View Post
The Takamine affiocionados don't have a lot of good things to say about the CT4-DX - and the CTP-3 isn't seen as much of an improvement over the CTP-2, which is still the favourite of many regular gigging pros.
What about the CTP-1 as in the 135sc? I keep considering this guitar, but can't find anywhere to play one. I have a less expensive taki, with a pickup system I really like (no tube).
Old 04-09-2018, 10:02 AM

I currently have a TAN45C, which has the CTP-1, and I think it is fantastic. Which is why I have been looking at getting another Takamine, but I am out of touch with the updates in the preamp technology since my guitar was made (2007).
A word of warning on preamp upgrades –whilst all of the Cooltube preamps and the CT4-DX interchangeable on all Takamine pro series guitars, they do not fit the cheaper G series models
Old 04-09-2018, 10:32 AM

I've owned several of the TAN series, with CTP-1, CTP-2, and I believe a CTP1-R, (same basic unit). They were all great plugged in. Only reason I sold them, was to get a better acoustic sound, as the TAN's didn't compare unplugged to some other models, and brands. I never minded the "Barn Door" in the side either, for a dedicated plug in guitar. No experience with the other pickup though. I still watch for TAN's and TNV's! Can't help myself!
Old 04-09-2018, 10:55 AM

I had a TVN (Nashville model) dread several years ago with the CTP-1 preamp in it. It was a great preamp but it went through batteries like they were free. Also took a long time to warm up. I've had four other Taks with the CTP-2 in them a they were way better in every respect IMO. I let a RW Bluegrass model get away from me that I still kick myself for selling. It was one of the best all round guitars I've every own. It was outstanding plugged in AND acoustically. I would say stay with the CTP-2 and you can't go wrong.
Old 04-09-2018, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajpattison View Post
OK....which is best (recognising of course that it is all subjective)?
I am also puzzled about which is supposed to be fitted on the Pro Series guitars. The Takamine website describes all the pro series as having the CTP-3, but I have seen quite a few, online and in shops, with the DX. When I have queried this I have been told the CT4-DX is an upgrade, but I am not convinced.
Anyone any the wiser?
According to Takamine the website is accurate regarding the CTP-3 insofar as U.S. distribution; the same guitars are sold in Japan with non-Cool Tube pres and many websites have incorrect information. I had my online dealer confirm with Tak before purchasing a P5JC which had a non-Cool Tube in the product description but did indeed come with one.

The funny thing is I wound up replacing the CTP-3 with a CT4-DX. The battery life of the 4 AAs in a CTP-3 is about one gig, and to my ears the 18 volts (2 9v batteries) in the CT4-DX does more to reduce quack than the tube does. BTW the CT4-DX accepts an aux PU just like the CTP-3. I added a TRIAX-2 (a rebranded M80) and get great sound. That said, I know many fingerstyle players prefer the warmth of the Cool Tube and it likely is warmer, but as a hard strummer the added headroom of 18 volts works better for me.

Last edited by jparis51; 04-09-2018 at 01:15 PM.
Old 04-09-2018, 03:04 PM
Charter Member

* As full-time working musician using a host of MIJ Takamines over the years, I've had the CT4BII, Cooltube-2, 3, & CT4-DX...all of them sound good and can dial in a very usable stage volume and tone. However, while the CT4DX comes in with the most headroom and surgical notch filtering, the Cooltube has a warmer tone with still some nice midrange tone shaping.

** The CTP-3 combines some of the notch filtering of the 4DX with the Cooltube technology as well as the dual source capability like adding the Triax/M80 mag pickup, (which I've done before). The CTP-3 doesn't sound quite the same as version 2, I prefer the 2 and use it in my KC70...I keep a CT4BII as my backup and frankly I like it very much, it's just that I perform at so many different venue types that the Cooltube's additional tone shaping helps with the varying acoustic properties.

*** The CT4DX is a very useful preamp, maybe not as stage friendly for quick adjustments due to the bazillion knobs and sliders, however, if your a hard strummer the 18volts will eliminate most, if not all the brittle quack, as well as, give you a lot of tone shaping...I like it, but the Cooltube warmth is my preference, tho it eats batteries quickest of the 3 models...(I use two sets of rechargeables & swap every 3 to 4 shows).

**** The nice thing is all 3 are easily interchangeable on any MIJ Takamines including Signature, Legacy and Pro Series models, (all of which I've owned), so you can try them and see which works best for your application. I have purchased a couple from our AGF sponsor Pacific Guitar Sales, good deals with good return policy...I've gotten some from Sweetwater and AMS, but Jerry at Pacific Guitar Sales is the best imo.

Best wishes,

eric

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion