The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-01-2018, 05:55 PM

Default Soundhole Magnetic Pickup

I've been winding a few pickups for electric guitars and now I'd like to try a magnetic soundhole pickup , maybe to blend with a mic.
There a million pages of info on the web about electric guitar pickups , different windings , magnets , wire , bobbins , backplates, covers and all the technical stuff , the impedance , flux , gauss , scatterwinding , etc etc, but it's very hard to see anything about acoustic pickups. Some are considered better , some not so good but they must all be designed and voiced in some way just as Telecaster or PAF or any of the hundreds of types of electric pickups are - it's just no one seems to want to talk about it .
Any pointers as to where info can be found?
Old 04-02-2018, 02:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olioli View Post
I've been winding a few pickups for electric guitars and now I'd like to try a magnetic soundhole pickup , maybe to blend with a mic.
There a million pages of info on the web about electric guitar pickups , different windings , magnets , wire , bobbins , backplates, covers and all the technical stuff , the impedance , flux , gauss , scatterwinding , etc etc, but it's very hard to see anything about acoustic pickups. Some are considered better , some not so good but they must all be designed and voiced in some way just as Telecaster or PAF or any of the hundreds of types of electric pickups are - it's just no one seems to want to talk about it .
Any pointers as to where info can be found?
Try this
http://www.dougyoungguitar.com/pickuptests/
Old 04-02-2018, 03:56 AM

Or use the search function - there are a ton of discussions on here on that very topic.
Dazzo 70's & SunnAudio Stage DI
Old 04-04-2018, 02:22 PM

Please share what you discover. I use Sunrises and find them surprisingly responsive to body resonance, even though they're potted in epoxy - I'm wondering what is on the inside that makes that possible.
Old 04-04-2018, 02:25 PM
Charter Member

A Sunrise is a simple stacked humbucker. The original Sunrise pickup prototype was built using P90 bobbins.
Old 04-05-2018, 06:52 AM

Default Pickup construction

Thanks for replies... the Doug Young tests are really interesting , but lack technical info., and there isn't any when you go to the manufacturer's site , or elsewhere on the web including this forum unless I've not used the search function properly.
When electric guitar pickups are sold , the blurb will often give magnet type , Alnico 2/ 3 / 5 etc , wire gauge and insulation, magnet placement , pole size , internal structure etc because these have all become selling points as guitarists have become more obsessed/particular about how their pickups have been voiced. It would just be interesting to know how acoustic pickup manufacturers have gone about voicing pickups for acoustic guitars.
Old 04-05-2018, 07:04 AM

I don't think you'll find much here on the
topic of building soundhole pups.
But if your building elec guitar pickups
i would not think it would be all that different
with the exception of the case. maybe some
emails to tech support of baggs or sunrise
could yield some answers . As long as you
didnt ask for trade secrets. like how many windings..
a simple question like what kind of magnets may not
be too intrusive. Also buying a used one and
tearing it apart may yield a lot .
i looked through the paperwork of my baggs m80
and found nothing relevant .
As this info is more part of an electric guitarist
wheelhouse. Just more interest in it there.
The acoustic guitarist is more concerned that
the pickup sound as natural (acoustic) as possible .
Outside of that it may come down to color.
Sorry I can't be of more help.

Last edited by varmonter; 04-05-2018 at 07:16 AM.
Old 04-05-2018, 01:05 PM

Default Pickup

Thanks varmonter , It looks as though I just need to experiment. It is odd though , that if I were buying a Gibson electric I would have so much info on pickups ,- magnets , DC resistance , etc yet pickups for a Gibson acoustic would be shrouded in mystery. Ah well....

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Tags
pickup, winding