The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Closed Thread

Old 12-24-2016, 09:16 AM

Lovely tune Bruce. Perfect accompaniment for my morning coffee. Your daughter will love it. Merry Christmas to you and your family. Hope to see you soon in the new year.
Old 12-25-2016, 07:35 PM
AGF Sponsor

And she did like it; tears all around.
Old 12-25-2016, 09:51 PM
Charter Member

Good work, Dad!! She'll cherish it for the rest of her life -
Old 12-26-2016, 11:45 AM
AGF Sponsor

Thank you all for the pleasant comments. I hope you all had as fine. Holiday as my family and I did.

Today is Boxing Day, as the British Empire refers to the day after Christmas. I am getting back to the regular work schedule.

Having given Laurelyn the guitar for Christmas which she and I started building together 6 years ago I found I enjoyed the process of completing our project so much that I built another similar instrument, currently entering finish, which I also plan to give away next August. As a tease I will say that each reader here COULD be the recipient of this "gift". More on that later.

This week I expect to complete one or both of the AGF/UMGF D-28 inspired guitars I started a month ago. Their finishes should be adequately cured to take a buff and hold it. I think this will be an interesting comparison, and I hope some of you agree.

Next week I will begin Bob's Single 0 project.
Old 12-27-2016, 07:43 AM

Bruce, I think your work is as Wabi-Sabi as can be - and I mean that as a big compliment. The pursuit of excellent expression instead of the pursuit of perfection.
Old 12-27-2016, 11:05 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ VanSandt View Post
Bruce, I think your work is as Wabi-Sabi as can be - and I mean that as a big compliment. The pursuit of excellent expression instead of the pursuit of perfection.
I have always been on the Wabi-Sabi side of the equation. Not, however, through intention or omission, but rather because that's how it is when working in the real world with hands manipulating wood. I do my best to be at the top of my game in every case where material choices, craftsmanship, and cleanliness of both design and the work itself are concerned, but actual perfection is a moving target and I am still growing as an artisan as well (always will be, I imagine).

There were a few years when I was uncomfortable in the knowledge that virtually every guitar I made fell short of perfectly realizing my ideal. Then I came to realize that this was exactly where their truest beauty was and was in essence their character . . . And that I was never going to get past this "problem" unless I went to production methods, giving up both excellence and my personal joy in the work. Needless to say, I made my choices some time ago.
Old 12-27-2016, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ VanSandt View Post
I agree completely
Old 12-27-2016, 04:34 PM
Charter Member

Hi Bruce,

Wonderful to hear tears of joy all around, I know your daughter will cherish that
guitar.

I agree with you that excellence in craftsmanship/detail is important, however,
that being said to me the guitar has always been about making music.

I find great joy in the character of each instrument, they each have a unique voice, and appearance which moves the player to express the music differently
with each instrument in hand.
Old 12-27-2016, 09:12 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nort View Post
Hi Bruce,

Wonderful to hear tears of joy all around, I know your daughter will cherish that
guitar.

I agree with you that excellence in craftsmanship/detail is important, however,
that being said to me the guitar has always been about making music.

I find great joy in the character of each instrument, they each have a unique voice, and appearance which moves the player to express the music differently
with each instrument in hand.
Nort,
I am surprised at your take on my words. While I do of course strive to be beyond criticism as a craftsman, I do not believe this is actually possible. It is just what I/we mostly do. I think that the improvement is more important than the goal, and I think that the improvement in the guitar is vastly more important that the improvement in the craftsmanship, though they are largely inseparable. The guitar is a tool for making music and absolutely nothing about it is more important than it's ability to facilitate the player in producing the best possible voice they can generate between them.

I am working on the 2 D-28s today. Both have the body and the neck connected, and one has the bridge glued and drying, waiting for strings, possibly tomorrow.

Also, I put the second coat on the guitar similar to Laurelyn's, which I plan to give away next Summer. Here are some first coat snap shots:

Old 12-28-2016, 08:47 PM
Charter Member

Hi Bruce,

Sorry, I guess my post didn't correctly express my feelings,

I probably should have just said I agree, as that was my intention.
Old 12-28-2016, 09:04 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nort View Post
Hi Bruce,

Sorry, I guess my post didn't correctly express my feelings,

I probably should have just said I agree, as that was my intention.
Thank you! I suspect I was overthinking again.
Old 01-01-2017, 06:43 PM

Hi Bruce,

I was wondering what your thoughts were about PVA glue after having not used it for 20 years? Do you feel HHG adds enough to the sound of the instrument to warrant its use?

I use both HHG and PVA in my builds but often wonder if HHG is worth the extra trouble.
Old 01-01-2017, 08:02 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarchfield View Post
Hi Bruce,

I was wondering what your thoughts were about PVA glue after having not used it for 20 years? Do you feel HHG adds enough to the sound of the instrument to warrant its use?

I use both HHG and PVA in my builds but often wonder if HHG is worth the extra trouble.
I love working with HHG, and find it easier to do clean work. My confidence in it tonally is complete, which is not the case with PVA. But I don't really know. Laurelyn's guitar came out fine, but certainly not at the top of my hierarchy . . . which is as expected since I did hurry it. Perhaps in time I will have a more grounded opinion. The SBAIC guitar is almost through finish, I did not hurry it, and it should be a better gauge,

I did use HHG for her bridge, as I have had such good luck with it compared to PVA, and that IS telling.
Old 01-02-2017, 12:04 PM
AGF Sponsor

With near perfect timing, this thread is reaching the 300 post limit at the same time as I have started a new thread called "Sexauer/'17 (chapter 1)".

If you would like to continue to follow my story, the link above will take you to the next and now current chapter.

Thank you very much for your continued support.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop