The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-22-2016, 03:41 PM

Default Apparent pitch difference between piezo and EM pickups

I'm currently experimenting with using two pickups on my Yamaha CPX700, the stock piezo and the two-string Submarine electromagnetic pickup. The issue I'm running into is that when blended, they seem to produce an effect akin to chorus, which I suspect is due to different effective pitch picked up by the two. I also had this issue before (manifesting itself more prominently) with a different, custom two-string pickup and different strings.

Have anyone encountered this? Is there any fix or workaround?
Old 04-23-2016, 07:30 AM
Charter Member

Could it be a phasing issue? Is there a phase switch on one or both preamps? If so, you could try moving them to hear if it improves your amplified tone but you've likely done this already if that option is available.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 04-23-2016, 03:06 PM

Default Could be phase

Yeah, it could be a phasing issue. Actually, tonight I've managed to get rid of this unwanted effect it by plugging the EM pickup straight into a separate console channel via an EQ pedal (no direct box), while before I tried to run both pickups through my Radial PZ Pre which has two channels. Much, much better tone for my purposes, too. Gotta check if the issue resurfaces on engaging the 180deg switch on the Pre—then phase is definitely the culprit.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Tags
difference, electromagnetic, pickup, piezo, pitch