The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 08-01-2011, 08:49 PM

Default Intro/Home-made possibilities?

Hey everyone! so first off a little background on me.. My name is Matt, im 20 (ill be 21 in two months) and I have been playing guitar for about 10 years. I play a PRS Singlecut electric, and have a Carlo Robelli acoustic that I got about 8 years ago for pretty cheap.. its a pretty nice guitar though.

I have really been getting into learning some true mississippi blues and such that I can really express myself with lately, and have been trying to find a cheap(er) resonator or dobro to begin with.

So, now I have a question for all you fabrication and custom guys. I have been toying with the idea of building my own resonator guitar, but not in the conventional way. I was thinking of sourcing an older acoustic from somewhere and then modifying it by cutting the top and supporting the insides so that I would be able to add a resonator cone, biscuit bridge, cover, hand rest, and tail piece. Ultimately, I would have a new (kinda..) resonator guitar for around $100.

I know it wont have the greatest sound quality and all, but do you all think it would be worth the try? I have a feeling it could work and turn out well, or turn out horribly, all depending on how much time I put into it. Has anyone else tried this out and had any luck/failures?
Old 08-01-2011, 09:01 PM

My dad has converted some regular guitars into resonators. You will have to plug the soundhole, because the big hole you cut for the sound cone doesnt envelop it. My dad cut a circle out of the scrap left from the big hole, put some binding between the soundhole and the plug and it worked great. It doesnt look entirely "traditional" or "right" but IMO it doesnt look bad.

Edit: and I realized I didnt acutally answer the question. The guitar we did sounds good. If you put a quality cone in it, it should sound good.
Old 08-01-2011, 09:05 PM

ohh yea. haha thanks I forgot that they don't have sound holes.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop