The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 07-15-2019, 05:11 AM

Default Touching story for Monday morning

I was recently asked by a funeral director to play & sing at a graveside service for a homeless man. He had no family or friends, so the service was to be at a pauper's cemetery out in the country. As I was not familiar with the area, I got lost. I finally arrived an hour late and saw that the funeral guy had evidently gone and the hearse was nowhere in sight. There were only the diggers and crew left and they were eating lunch. I felt badly and apologized to the men for being late. I went to the side of the grave and looked down and the vault lid was already in place. I didn’t know what else to do, so I started to play. The workers put down their lunches and began to gather around. I played out my heart and soul for this man with no family and friends. I sang like I’ve never played before for this homeless man.

As I sang & played “Amazing Grace”, the workers began to weep. They wept, I wept, we all wept together. When I finished, I packed up my guitar and started for my car. Though my head hung low, my heart was full.

As I opened the door to my car, I heard one of the workers say, “I’ve never seen nothin’ like that before and I’ve been putting in septic tanks for twenty years.” Apparently, I’m still lost….
2004 Taylor 214
2011 Taylor GC4
1964 Fender Stratocaster
1965 Fender Jazz Bass
Fender Twin Reverb
Old 07-15-2019, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Abrahamson View Post
I was recently asked by a funeral director to play & sing at a graveside service for a homeless man. He had no family or friends, so the service was to be at a pauper's cemetery out in the country. As I was not familiar with the area, I got lost. I finally arrived an hour late and saw that the funeral guy had evidently gone and the hearse was nowhere in sight. There were only the diggers and crew left and they were eating lunch. I felt badly and apologized to the men for being late. I went to the side of the grave and looked down and the vault lid was already in place. I didn’t know what else to do, so I started to play. The workers put down their lunches and began to gather around. I played out my heart and soul for this man with no family and friends. I sang like I’ve never played before for this homeless man.

As I sang & played “Amazing Grace”, the workers began to weep. They wept, I wept, we all wept together. When I finished, I packed up my guitar and started for my car. Though my head hung low, my heart was full.

As I opened the door to my car, I heard one of the workers say, “I’ve never seen nothin’ like that before and I’ve been putting in septic tanks for twenty years.” Apparently, I’m still lost….
OK...

Ya got me. Your guitar/singing twist. Threw me off.

Well done.
Old 07-15-2019, 06:21 AM
Charter Member

[4/28/2019]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jschmitz54 View Post
As a singer/guitar player I sing and play at many funerals. I was recently asked by a funeral director to play and sing at a graveside service for a homeless man. He had no family or friends, so the service was to be at a pauper's cemetery out in the country. As I was not familiar with the area, I got lost. I finally arrived an hour late and saw that the funeral guy had evidently gone and the hearse was nowhere in sight. There were only the diggers and crew left and they were eating lunch. I felt badly and apologized to the men for being late. I went to the side of the grave and looked down and the vault lid was already in place. I didn’t know what else to do, so I started to play. The workers put down their lunches and began to gather around. I played out my heart and soul for this man with no family and friends. I performed like I’ve never performed before for this homeless man.

As I sang and played “Amazing Grace”, the workers began to weep. They wept, I wept, we all wept together. When I finished, I packed up my acoustic guitar and started for my car. Though my head hung low, my heart was full.

I thought your story sounded familiar....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 07-15-2019, 08:44 AM

Yup, the changes snuck it by me as well!

Well done!
Old 07-15-2019, 08:54 AM

[emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787]
Old 07-15-2019, 08:57 AM

heh... I've read this one before, but I had to finish just cuz it's always worth the read
Old 07-15-2019, 02:47 PM

Made me spit out my coffee - it's 6.47 am here.
Good one.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 07-15-2019, 04:25 PM
Charter Member

Hilarious, worth stealing for sure.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic