The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 07-10-2019, 05:25 AM
Guitar Gourmet

You know what's funny?

I went to see Brit Prog band Wishbone Ash a couple of months back at a small venue, a dinner venue, a place that seats 200. That band was once voted in the top ten for guitar bands by Melody Maker. They do everything from the festivals to these small venues. Last night it was a festival, for instance. Based upon my experience at a small place, I get the feeling it is mostly their die-hard fans that show up. At that concert, everyone was as quiet as mice when the music was going on. The ticket price was much lower than at a festival, $40, as I recall. Most of the audience were 55-plus years old. I didn't really think about it until later but the crowd was excellent for a change.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 07-10-2019, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
Thanks for my daily chuckle and my 13,000th post....
13,000 - congratulations - I'v got a way to go to catch that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post

I went to see Brit Prog band Wishbone Ash a couple of months back....

Bob
Oddly enough, this follows on from my last comment re free tickets. A friend of mine was promoting part of Wishbone Ash's UK tour last year and I got free tickets for that. As I like them (and have paid to see them in the past) I went along and thoroughly enjoyed it. After the show Andy and the band joined us at the bar and shared a few drinks and tales.

The audience were great and respectfully enjoyed the show. However there was one guy who was completely out of his tree who danced the night away on the floor in front of us. He gave us air guitar, 'Ash' mime and a lot of entertainment but made no noise whatsoever. Even full of whatever he had consumed, the music was the only thing that mattered to him.

YouTube
Old 07-10-2019, 06:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aknow View Post
Last year I saw the Brian Setzer orchestra in Phoenix, Az. About a 600 mile trip. Intimate setting, with a merry-go-round type stage. So whenever Brian centered in front of us, a drunk woman and her equally drunk friend would stand and take videos, (and for what?). So we asked the 500 lb. security guard to stop her, he wouldn't. So, I asked her 3x to sit down, she wouldn't. I grabbed her phone. She turned and apologized and acted appropriately the rest of the show. People didn't act this selfishly and stupidly in the '60's and 70's, for sure.
My favorite concert is an 80's Niagara Falls (Canada) band called Honeymoon Suite. Very stereotypical 80's "hair band" pop rock (except theirs is fantastic) but their live performances are so good.

They do a lot of small shows these days and each year they do a fund raiser for Ronald McDonald House.

Very small intimate show. We drive two hours to see it each year.

Some drunk lady stands cringe-worthy in front of the lead singer, blocking everyone, literally less than 3 feet away pointing her camera at his face while recording. He smiled, tolerated it and hoped she would move on......she stayed there for like half an hour it was horrible.

I so much hate people some times.

000-15 / GC7 / GA3-12 / SB2-C / SB2-Cp / AVC-11MHx / AC-240
Old 07-10-2019, 07:06 AM

I have a great story about this kind of thing but first...
The world has become an "it's all about me" kind of place.

Now the true story,condensed version...

Went to see Neil Young, unplugged, small venue, unbelievable seats.
Neil comes out and begins playing a quiet ballad. Three ladies in the front row are chatting audibly. Neil immediately stops playing and says directly to them, " Listen ladies, people paid a lot of money to come in here and see me play." "If you want to B.S., I'll wait for a few minutes while you get up and go out in the hallway so you can do that." Guess what, they got up and left to the cheers of about 1500 people. Immediately upon their exit, Neil said, "anybody else?"
Crickets. Neil said "great, now let's have some fun."

Awesome, Neil!

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 07-10-2019, 08:11 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
I have a great story about this kind of thing but first...
The world has become an "it's all about me" kind of place.

Now the true story,condensed version...

Went to see Neil Young, unplugged, small venue, unbelievable seats.
Neil comes out and begins playing a quiet ballad. Three ladies in the front row are chatting audibly. Neil immediately stops playing and says directly to them, " Listen ladies, people paid a lot of money to come in here and see me play." "If you want to B.S., I'll wait for a few minutes while you get up and go out in the hallway so you can do that." Guess what, they got up and left to the cheers of about 1500 people. Immediately upon their exit, Neil said, "anybody else?"
Crickets. Neil said "great, now let's have some fun."

Awesome, Neil!
Awesome way to go Neil!
Old 07-10-2019, 07:35 PM

While not exactly the same, I've been asked to sit down at a Keith Urban concert.
Apart from the 3 or 4 people sitting behind us, every single person in the arena was on their feet enjoying the music, and I just couldn't understand their lack of enthusiasm.
Other people are obviously wired differently!
2022 Yamaha SLG200S Silent Guitar
Old 07-11-2019, 12:09 PM
Charter Member

Some of this depends on the artist's ability to manage a crowd, as illustrated by Jamie's awesome story about Neil. I saw Tori Amos in the 90s, and before she came on stage, she asked the ushers to instruct everyone in the crowd to be seated and absolutely silent through the first song. And guess what? Everyone complied... not a word was whispered, as she began her performance. Later in the show, she encouraged the crowd to fill in the front aisles, so there was less space between her and the audience. Again, it happened efficiently and respectfully, and everyone had a good time, including the artist, audience, and event staff.

Of course, Tori is unpredictable and not hesitant to stop a show, if the audience or security are interfering with her performance.
Old 07-11-2019, 01:50 PM
Charter Member

My wife and I have seen Jason Isbell a few times in the past few years. The last time we saw him, he politely asked everyone to please not point cell phones at him and the band while they were playing. About three songs into the show, he stopped after about a half of a verse and gave the crowd a serious tongue lashing about how rude and inconsiderate some of them were being by pointing cell phones at him. Then he apologized to the majority of us who got the message the first time and restarted. We got quite a chuckle out of that, but more than a few folks were probably a little embarrassed.
Takamine F-451S 12 String (1977)
Old 07-12-2019, 03:28 PM

Probably too simple an answer but..... because some people are just jerks??

Between these kinds of folks which are all too common these days, and ridiculously loud audio (nerve damage to one ear makes high SPL uncomfortable) I rarely go to any live shows any more. Acoustic jams are OK, but if there will be any kind of PA system or guitar amps, ear plugs are now "part of the uniform".
Old 07-13-2019, 08:21 AM

Early 70's I bought concert tickets to see CSN&Y in Chicago's (Arie Crown, IIRC). That was the first time I'd ever subjected myself to the ignorant masses until Elton John kicked off his US tour in Miami Beach in the mid 80's. That was the last time I'd ever subject myself to the ignorant masses.

There just isn't anything redeeming about a concert if the music is truly more important that the visuals, and certainly more important than masses of people all competing to be there (in some physical form).
Old 07-13-2019, 10:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bil View Post
My wife and I have seen Jason Isbell a few times in the past few years. The last time we saw him, he politely asked everyone to please not point cell phones at him and the band while they were playing. About three songs into the show, he stopped after about a half of a verse and gave the crowd a serious tongue lashing about how rude and inconsiderate some of them were being by pointing cell phones at him. Then he apologized to the majority of us who got the message the first time and restarted. We got quite a chuckle out of that, but more than a few folks were probably a little embarrassed.
Father John Misty is one of my favorite live performers from the current decade. On his "Honeybear" tour in 2015, the stage was set with a simple drape and a neon heart that flashed "No Photography" inside of it. Brilliant!

Here's a link to a show review that contains some great photos from that period: https://badgerherald.com/artsetc/201...trancing-show/
Old 07-13-2019, 11:49 AM
Charter Member

My strategy for enjoying live shows involves wearing my earplugs, without exception. I happen to have custom fitted plugs, but the foam "Hearos" and the like will do just as well. I find that they tend to drown out the ambient chatter you tend to find nowadays. The added benefit is you won't find yourself with ringing in your ears hours after a particularly loud performance.

For seated venues, options are limited, but if a show I want to attend has GA or lawn tickets available, I go that route. Much easier to move around and find a new perch if I find myself next to a particularly chatty group.

Austin
Iris DF Smeck | Lakewood M-32 | Gibson J-35 | Lakewood M-14 | Martin 000-15M | Lowden F-25 | Huss & Dalton Singletree Banjo | Brunner Outdoor Guitar | Composite Acoustics Cargo | Taylor GS Cocobolo Limited | Cole Clark UL-1 Uke | Godin Exit-22
Old 07-13-2019, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pura Vida View Post
Father John Misty is one of my favorite live performers from the current decade. On his "Honeybear" tour in 2015, the stage was set with a simple drape and a neon heart that flashed "No Photography" inside of it. Brilliant!

Here's a link to a show review that contains some great photos from that period: https://badgerherald.com/artsetc/201...trancing-show/
I love it!
Photographs of a "No Photographs" sign.

What a great Zen koan.
Old 07-13-2019, 07:11 PM

I gave up long ago on big "live" music events.

It tended to provoke my impatience and intolerance of people,
and when I realized the stupidity of (me) actually PAYING to be frustrated and annoyed,
I quit going.

I've even turned down free weekend passes (offered by a friend who is the leader of a prominent band) to large festivals,
tickets worth hundreds of dollars,
simply cuz I can't abide the self-focused substance affected patrons.

I made an exception a year or so ago to see the Doobie Brothers open for the Eagles (with Vince Gill), and it cost me $700 to confirm I'm never doing that again.

Now, please allow me to praise a "little" venue in Seattle called "The Triple Door" where there are no bad seats,
and I've never heard nor seen one disruptive or disrespectful thing from anyone.

Granted, the current "big" names don't play there.
But I've seen Janis Ian, Ricky Scaggs, Los Lobos, Lisa Marie Presley...
All were very enjoyable shows.

Thanks for listening.
Old 07-14-2019, 05:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodbox View Post
I gave up long ago on big "live" music events.

It tended to provoke my impatience and intolerance of people,
and when I realized the stupidity of (me) actually PAYING to be frustrated and annoyed,
I quit going.

I've even turned down free weekend passes (offered by a friend who is the leader of a prominent band) to large festivals,
tickets worth hundreds of dollars,
simply cuz I can't abide the self-focused substance affected patrons.

I made an exception a year or so ago to see the Doobie Brothers open for the Eagles (with Vince Gill), and it cost me $700 to confirm I'm never doing that again.

Now, please allow me to praise a "little" venue in Seattle called "The Triple Door" where there are no bad seats,
and I've never heard nor seen one disruptive or disrespectful thing from anyone.

Granted, the current "big" names don't play there.
But I've seen Janis Ian, Ricky Scaggs, Los Lobos, Lisa Marie Presley...
All were very enjoyable shows.

Thanks for listening.

I’ll make a point of visiting that venue next year when my wife and I are out west again.

My go to small venue is in Nashville of all places. Third and Lindsley. We’ve seen Jewel, Paul Thorn, James McMurtry, and The Wood Brothers (twice) there. No current big names, but not a bad seat in the house and for the most part, folks are there for the music.
Takamine F-451S 12 String (1977)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic