The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 07-09-2019, 02:23 AM
Charter Member

Once, long ago, I was opening for Geoff "Mole" Muldaur, in a small but highly respected music pub.
The p.a. was buit into the wall behind the small stage, and the mixer/amp was behind the bar so the ladlord had full control. I arrived as they were doind the sound.

Geoff said, that's fine, thanks.

The Landlord said, Ok, "and when the bar fills up, (full was about 75/80 people). I'll turn the main volume up "
"Please no" said Mr M, "if it is too loud, they'll shout over it, but igf it isn't quite loud enough, they'll shut up and listen".

I've clung to that for years.

I should say that the pub there was most definitely a "listening pub", and you paid to get in.
Old 07-09-2019, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aknow View Post
People didn't act this selfishly and stupidly in the '60's and 70's
This.

People are so much more hateful and just downright MEAN nowadays. No manners, no respect.

It's quite a phenomenon.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Old 07-09-2019, 06:09 AM

Alcohol never makes anyone smarter or more considerate.
Old 07-09-2019, 06:36 AM

My wife hates when I do it, but I often turn to people and tell them to shut up- that I didn't pay $$XXX to hear them talk all night.
I blame it on the alcohol sales - back in the 'dry days' - or in venues that did not allow drinking in the seating area - it was never an issue, but alcohol seems to give (mostly younger) people the idea that they are entitled to do whatever they want with no regards for anyone else.

As bad as it is for us in the audience, I feel sorry for the performers who have to put up with this rude behavior, too. A musician I know who has a podcast was talking with another musician about 'annoying' audience things - one, which I experienced first hand a couple of weeks later at a show this guy was in - was the guy who keeps shouting out the performers name LOUDLY all night. 'Brian! BRIAN! YAY, BRIAN!' "Hey idiot, I'm pretty sure he knows his name, why don't you shut up and listen to the music?"

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass

Last edited by Kerbie; 07-09-2019 at 11:08 PM. Reason: Language
Old 07-09-2019, 09:22 AM

I still don't understand those that only stare at their phones the whole show.
They miss the performance while trying to film it with poor video they may never watch again.
Just to say they were there.
Old 07-09-2019, 09:37 AM

this is a novelette on why I don't go to all that many concerts.

Seems that the more money you have to pay for the tickets, the more of an absolute train wreck the night can be.

one of the last "BIG" shows I went to, everyone was standing, I'm 5' 7" I got to see the backs of all the idiots standing in front of me all night.

yea.. That was awesome.

I do go to the (much) smaller venues tho, and those to me, are far more enjoyable.
Old 07-09-2019, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatcomber View Post
Free tickets, perhaps, provided to them by a vendor?
That was my first thought, too. My ex used to get free concert tickets from radio stations and they often included a pass to the VIP area where drinks were being served.
Yamaha FG730S
1950 Epiphone Triumph
Old 07-09-2019, 02:44 PM
Charter Member

In 1966 I believe it was, The Beatles came to Municipal Stadium in Kansas City, Mo. The stage was at 2nd base, the infield had ground level seating, my 2 brothers were 8 rows from the stage. My Dad and I were upper level along the first base side. 25 minutes of screaming, very bad acoustics, but really exciting for a 16 year old Beatle fanatic. Tickets were $20 for my brothers on the infield and my Dad and I paid $8 each. Tickets bought in advance.

I later saw the Beach Boys, sans Brian Wilson, a few years later indoors at Municipal Auditorium, better sound, but not nearly as exciting. I saw a few other concerts like the Grass Roots, Gary Pucket and Union Gap, Spencer Davis Group sans Steve Winwood. As I look back all the concerts were fun, but except for the Beatles, not very memorable. And the tickets were reasonable. I have seen of course TV footage of these mammoth outdoor concerts, and I have no interest to be 'trapped" by tens of thousands of high, drunk, teens or young adults, and be made deaf by overly loud noise. I have watched many TV performances in the last decades that are well done. One I would have just loved to see was John Denver's Wildlife Concert performance. That is attractive to me, more intimate setting, and great sound/performances. I don't think I shall be paying hundreds of dollars to be squeezed by inebriated or otherwise obnoxious concert goers and be fearful of being able to return home unscathed, me or my vehicle. I know, long-winded post, but I LOVE music, I hate unruly and noisy crowds. Old guy rant!
Old 07-09-2019, 04:43 PM
Charter Member

Search YT for "Jeff Tweedy people talking during concert." It's a clip from his 2005 solo DVD, and he absolutely nails this conversation from an artist's (and audience member's) perspective.

Last edited by Kerbie; 07-09-2019 at 11:12 PM. Reason: Comment on moderator action
Old 07-09-2019, 04:57 PM
Charter Member

....yeah people are often inconsiderate and disrupting at a lot of concerts...when it happens you hate to be the one to ask them to stop but usually they will...why do they do it?....I reckon it’s because they care more about socializing than they do about the music....they’re not bad people...just people acting badly...
Old 07-09-2019, 05:27 PM

Several years ago my wife and I went to an all-acoustic (read unplugged) gig in a small, intimate local venue, with a former colleague and three of her friends...

They did pretty much the same thing - tanked up on relatively-inexpensive house hootch, made themselves obnoxious, and shrugged off our repeated requests to pipe down...

The night's featured act - a classy, soft-voiced singer-songwriter - simply turned her stool about 30 degrees midway through the set and played to the half of the audience that cared about (and could actually hear) her music, a thoroughly professional response given the circumstances...

To date none of these loudmouths even know we have a band, much less where we're playing - and we intend to keep it that way...
Old 07-09-2019, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aknow View Post
People didn't act this selfishly and stupidly in the '60's and 70's, for sure.
Oh, my goodness, I beg to differ. I've witnessed that kind of behavior from the first time I went to the movies as a little kid in the '50s.

Anyway, I've always attributed it to some people being jerks and the really bad ones being sociopaths.

Playing guitar badly since 1964.

Some Taylor guitars.
Three Kala ukuleles (one on tour with the Box Tops).
A 1937 A-style mandolin.
Old 07-10-2019, 03:42 AM

Quote:
Looks like "Big Business" frequently gets tickets to concerts and festivals to their staff - or treasured partners.
and a guitar-shaped-object
Old 07-10-2019, 03:59 AM

Quote:
There seems to be some agreement about this and that was our first thought whilst the culprits were interrupting the show.

Each to their own I suppose but if I were offered free tickets to a show and I wasn't interested in the band I couldn't be bothered to queue to get through today's security screening just to have a drink. If I did like the band I would go and listen to them.

Apparently, alcohol makes some people very happy - it's just a shame it makes everyone around them sad.

YouTube
Old 07-10-2019, 04:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzy the dog View Post
...Apparently, alcohol makes some people very happy - it's just a shame it makes everyone around them sad.
Thanks for my daily chuckle and my 13,000th post....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic