The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 07-06-2019, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor B. View Post
Here's a quote from a Berklee Online article about choosing the order of EQ and compression plugins.
"As a rule, using EQ in front of your compressor produces a warmer, rounder tone, while using EQ after your compressor produces a cleaner, clearer sound.
As a -- ahem -- "professional" I find that questionable.

With the EQ before the compressor, the compressor's action will depend on what you do with the EQ. Darker, brighter, whatever, how you dial in the EQ will affect the way the compressor behaves. Try it and see for yourself. That whole "as a rule" thing is just silly and encourages engineering-by-rote without listening or examining.

In a f'rinstance of this principle, let's say you've tracked a Martin Dread and it's boomy. No surprise there. If you just insert a compressor, the electrical energy of that boom might send the compressor into gain reduction in a premature and aggressive way that you don't especially care for. Since you're most likely wanting to get rid of that boom anyway, why not stick the EQ before the compressor? Dial down the boom and smooth out the compressor's behavior at the same time. A win-win. But "warmer-rounder"? The opposite, if anything.

Hey Berklee, I'm available. :-)

Couch Standards

Last edited by Brent Hahn; 07-06-2019 at 10:03 AM.
Old 07-06-2019, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
To manage a digital clip I would use a limiter (or a compressor used in the same fashion as a limiter).
What about mic's ive got a Shure 57 and a condenser MXL V250 and Behringer C3 plus some dynamic budget mics
Which would be good for vocals and which for guitar?
Old 07-06-2019, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
As a -- ahem -- "professional" I find that questionable.

With the EQ before the compressor, the compressor's action will depend on what you do with the EQ. Darker, brighter, whatever, how you dial in the EQ will affect the way the compressor behaves. Try it and see for yourself. That whole "as a rule" thing is just silly and encourages engineering-by-rote without listening or examining.

In a f'rinstance of this principle, let's say you've tracked a Martin Dread and it's boomy. No surprise there. If you just insert a compressor, the electrical energy of that boom might send the compressor into gain reduction in a premature and aggressive way that you don't especially care for. Since you're most likely wanting to get rid of that boom anyway, why not stick the EQ before the compressor? Dial down the boom and tame the compressor's behavior at the same time. A win-win. But "warmer-rounder"? The opposite, if anything.

Hey Berklee, I'm available. :-)
Interesting! I tried to find an explanation (to no avail) for why EQ before compression would "automatically" be warmer and rounder. However; the idea of compressing after EQ does make sense to me (for the reason your "f'rinstance" illustrates) so that's generally the plugin order I employ. Anyway, I was just trying to provide CASD57 with an online reference to his original question. And I'm certainly not --ahem-- a professional audio engineer!!! (LOL) Your clarification is appreciated.
Old 07-06-2019, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor B. View Post
Interesting! I tried to find an explanation (to no avail) for why EQ before compression would "automatically" be warmer and rounder. However; the idea of compressing after EQ does make sense to me (for the reason your "f'rinstance" illustrates) so that's generally the plugin order I employ.
Also, some of this "before vs. after" thinking is residual from the time when it was all hardware and you had to carefully allocate your resources. Now, with plugins and powerful computers, it's like ammo in a movie. You never run out. So you can put an EQ before your compressor and another one after if you want, no penalty. Dial out the mud, compress, dial in the brightness. If it suits you.

Couch Standards
Old 07-06-2019, 10:12 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CASD57 View Post
What about mic's ive got a Shure 57 and a condenser MXL V250 and Behringer C3 plus some dynamic budget mics
Which would be good for vocals and which for guitar?
Hard to choose for you
Easy to test for yourself.

If it were me , I would start with the vocal mic choice first (Because arguably vocals are often the most case sensitive i.e the most "specific voice to specific mic", sensitive and see which one you like best on your voice. I am guessing one of your LDC condensers but try and see .

Then retest for the guitar and go for the closest to the tone/sound you are wanting

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 07-06-2019, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Hard to choose for you

Easy to test for yourself.

If it were me , I would start with the vocal mic choice first (Because arguably vocals are often the most case sensitive i.e the most "specific voice to specific mic", sensitive and see which one you like best on your voice. I am guessing one of your LDC condensers but try and see .

Then retest for the guitar and go for the closest to the tone/sound you are wanting
Thanks I'll work on that also figured how to multi- track with my Zoom R8
Old 07-06-2019, 10:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CASD57 View Post
Thanks I'll work on that also figured how to multi- track with my Zoom R8
Sounds like you are on you way Just know it can be frustrating at first but like most things it gets more familiar, better, and easier with practice

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD