The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 07-06-2019, 07:44 PM
Charter Member

Smile Tube LDC

I have a Rode K2 which I have found to be very reliable and nice sounding with a relatively low noise floor. I purchased it many years ago because of the good reviews, affordability and flat frequency response. It is a multi-pattern tube LDC with its own outboard power supply.

If buying now, I would also consider the Mojave Audio tube LDC's.

Good luck and have fun with your mic search.

2020 Kraut 00, Swiss/Brazilian on order
2018 Eady EG Pro Electric, Redwood/Mahogany
2013 Baranik Meridian, Blue Spruce/Cocobolo, build
2009 Beneteau Concert Standard, Englemann/Brazilian
2008 Baranik CX, Blue Spruce/African Blackwood
2008 Breedlove A20 Masterclass 12-string, Adi/IRW
2003 Thames classical, Euro/Brazilian
Fodera Standard 4 Fretless bass, figured walnut
Old 07-07-2019, 07:35 PM
Charter Member

Okay, I know this is not exactly what you are looking for but I started messing around with an AEA A840 Ribbon mic paired with my Geffel 300 and Geffel 930 with very interesting results. The AEA A840 has the figure 8 pattern. So, if you are looking for something completely different you might head down that road.
By the way, your Noone Lasses CD is one of my all-time favorite acoustic guitar CDs. You nailed it in that one.

CDs-Bandcamp

Website
Old 07-07-2019, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feste View Post
By the way, your Noone Lasses CD is one of my all-time favorite acoustic guitar CDs. You nailed it in that one.
Aw thanks! That sure means alot. Doug Young is at least partly to thank for that, he did all the engineering. The setup was his Schoepes spaced pair. Funny, when I listen to it now I think it needs alot more highs. I was playing with natural nails back then, and my tone was just super dark.

Are you using the AEA as part of mid/side setup, or something else? I remember once when I was at Doug's he had his Brauner's as a spaced pair, and then some sort of stereo mic right up the middle, it was either a Royer or Audio Technica 4050ST, set to XY or mid side, i forget which. Then he blended the two tracks together. I have thought that could be cool too, if i wanted to go in a totally different direction. I like my Gefell spaced pair, i wonder what a stereo mic on a second track would add.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD