The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 06-30-2019, 11:10 AM
Guest 728

Default Movie Review: "Echo In The Canyon"

Just saw Echo In the Canyon yesterday, a documentary about the origins of the 1960s "Laurel Canyon sound." It has lots of cool old footage of the area, and interviews with the members of the Byrds and CSNY, as well as Brian Wilson, Michelle Phillips, Tom Petty, etc. It's hosted by Jakob Dylan, and features a concert he put on using contemporary musicians like Beck and Nora Jones playing material from the era. The most glaring omission is any mention whatsoever of Jakob's dad, Bob Dylan, who was probably more responsible for the birth of that movement than anyone else. In all, it's an entertaining and informative look at the L.A. scene during a creatively fertile musical period. Four out of five stars.
Old 07-01-2019, 10:12 AM

Looking forward to seeing that. Pet Sounds is one of the few remaining albums I listen to in its entirety at least once a year. And growing up, I was mad for Buffalo Springfield.

It makes sense that Dylan Sr - though seminal - wouldn't be prominently featured, as he made his bones in NYC, not Laurel Canyon.

Thanks for the review.
Old 07-01-2019, 10:36 AM

I thought too that the absence of any mention of Bob Dylan (except for a brief comment by David Crosby) was kind of a glaring omission. But of course, Bob was much more identified in the early days with the NYC music scene and by the late 60's he was recording in Nashville. I've also noticed that throughout Jakob Dylan's entire career he has been very reluctant to make his name by trading on his father's name. I suspect that may have had something to do with it here as well...but who knows? Bottom line, Bob really wasn't part of the Laurel Canyon scene....though many of the people who were, were HIGHLY influenced by his words and music.

To me, a much more glaring omission was a lack of discussion about Joni Mitchell. She was a huge part of that scene in the late 60's.

I liked the movie overall. Sad to see that so many of the folks featured in it are no longer with us.
Old 07-01-2019, 01:20 PM
Charter Member

Yes watched it and found it very interesting

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 07-01-2019, 03:41 PM
Guest 728

Quote:
Originally Posted by upsidedown View Post
It makes sense that Dylan Sr - though seminal - wouldn't be prominently featured, as he made his bones in NYC, not Laurel Canyon.
Agreed, but the first two Byrds singles were Dylan covers, both of which charted at #1, yet his name was not even mentioned once.
Old 07-01-2019, 03:58 PM

I also loved that film.
Old 07-01-2019, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heroditus View Post

To me, a much more glaring omission was a lack of discussion about Joni Mitchell. She was a huge part of that scene in the late 60's.

She unquestionably was. On the other hand she is apparently not Mr Bob's No. 1 Fan. Might the film's Executive Producer have had a voice in who was featured in the film?
Old 07-01-2019, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmcr View Post
She unquestionably was. On the other hand she is apparently not Mr Bob's No. 1 Fan. Might the film's Executive Producer have had a voice in who was featured in the film?
You make a very good point! I knew that but hadn't thought of it. On the other hand, how do you leave her out, even given that situation? That would be like doing a movie on the Liverpool music scene of the 1960's and leaving out The Beatles.
Old 07-01-2019, 07:26 PM
Charter Member

....I”m not surprised Joni Mitchell is not featured even though she was for a while a major player in the scene....I imagine that other musicians were drawn to her immense talent....but....Joni has always seemed different...awkward....an outsider even amongst her peers...her musical vision reached past the normal boundaries of the folk scene and I don”t think she ever quite fit in...the same could easily be said about Dylan but the big difference between the two I think is that while she was forging new directions in her prime Dylan got stuck in time and was no longer finding the inspiration that propelled him early on...his character became bigger than his music...

....in any case...both are enigmatic figures that wrote songs beyond the capabilities and sometimes comprehension of the rest of the field....maybe just too exceptional to be one of the gang...

...as far as the film goes...it’s playing at the art cinema in town and I plan to see it this week..very much looking forward to it....

Last edited by J Patrick; 07-01-2019 at 08:29 PM.
Old 07-01-2019, 10:24 PM
Anticipation Junkie

I viewed the lengthy interview with Dylan and Andrew Slater and have been hoping to see the film. It’ll be playing for five consecutive nights at a local theater later this month, so I’ll be sure to see it.
Old 07-01-2019, 10:56 PM
Guest 728

In the end, who got put in or left out really doesn't detract from what IS in the film: very honest interviews, great footage, and wonderful music. Ringo Starr is priceless, and Tom Petty's interview is one of the last he gave before he passed away. And I somehow had forgotten how beautiful Michelle Phillips was.

Also, during the previews, they showed the trailer for "Remember My Name," the upcoming David Crosby biopic, which also looks quite good.
Old 07-02-2019, 11:11 AM

Willie Voltaire brings up a good point, it's limiting to be concentrating on the donut not the hole as the old novelty song had it. But if Joni Mitchell is left out, and the Sixties scene there is covered, that does seem to be a very strange choice.

A more obscure artist, but does the documentary touch on Judee Sill?

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 07-03-2019, 08:41 AM
Charter Member

...I saw it last night...not quite what I expected...very little archival footage...a relatively small handful of folks being interviewed interspersed with what I felt was too much concert and recording video of Jakob Dylan and friends...a decent band that did an admirable job but not quite capturing the essence of the music to my ears...

...it was a fresh take on documentary film making though and should be applauded for that....still I found myself wondering what it would have been like if Ken Burns had done a film on the subject....ultimately it did hold my attention and I was entertained...but I didn’t come away with the sense that I had a complete picture of the scene...my favorite part was actually the outro footage of Neil Young wailing away behind the credits...loved that!!!
Old 07-04-2019, 12:33 AM

A better glimpse and perhaps a clearer picture of The Laurel Canyon scene surrounding that time frame can be had by the book, "Weird Scenes Inside The Canyon" by David McGowan. Highly recommended. And it ain't what you think.
Old 10-30-2019, 08:02 AM
Charter Member

Default On Netflix

It has just been released on Netflix.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic