The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 06-20-2019, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Whatever Gibson's new junk yard dog says. Won't make any difference.
Silly,
You really need to let go of this Gibson thing you got goin' on.
Seriously, "junk yard dog." C'mon man.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 06-20-2019, 05:47 AM

Calculated.

People are talking about it.

It worked.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Old 06-20-2019, 05:50 AM

i cant find the original vid, but all the info points to gibson saying , buy us, we're the best, i dont see what the problem is unless im missing something, i mean, Ford says they sell the best trucks- i dont hear them saying, buy Ford, we're just as good as Chevy or Dodge
Fender Strat Partscaster
Ibanez SR400 EQM bass
Old 06-20-2019, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Horse feathers.

.... and that chap who used to work at Carters , I never liked him, playing prized elderly guitars with his Hell's Angel studded leather jacket.
I actually laughed out loud (at work) after reading the above comment.

Silly Moustache, please tell us how you really feel!
Old 06-20-2019, 10:13 AM

Looks like the lawsuits have started: https://guitar.com/news/industry-new...-infringement/

This is not a good look for Gibson in my opinion but can't say i'm surprised based on their current ownership and that video.

Martin * Pre-War Guitars * Brothers Music
Old 06-20-2019, 10:31 AM

Sad that Gibson can't compete on their own merits. An iconic company fading and now wants to blame anyone but themselves.

Teach us what ways have light, what gifts have worth.
Edna St. Vincent Millay
Old 06-20-2019, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photojeep View Post
Not to get too, well legal, and I could be wrong, but I seem to remember reading that in terms of copyright or trademark infringement, courts have mostly decided that since both Gibson and Fender have not enforced the authorship of their designs for nigh on 60+ years, they've pretty much said they don't care. If they are to start caring now, I doubt the courts will rule in their favor.

Of course, anyone can sue anyone else over anything so perhaps this threat will serve to scare some folks...

Best,
PJ
^^This. An owner of any intellectual property must enforce that right lest it be deemed waived. I don't see what the big deal is for Gibson to say they don't want people ripping off their designs but then again, as stated, it sure took them long enough (maybe TOO long) to start doing that. Only the Courts will decide (and not the court of public opinion either).
Old 06-20-2019, 03:44 PM

Lawsuit was issued by Gibson against Dean Guitars today. Based on Dean's Flying V looking too much like Gibson's and other guitar's headstock too.
Old 06-20-2019, 11:44 PM

I'm a member of a UK guitar forum that is primarily "electric". The demographic is broadly middle age professionals with money to spend. Many loyal Gibson owners. The overwhelming response to this story has been merciless ridicule.
Old 06-21-2019, 12:28 AM

This ill conceived and laughably executed video leading up to Gibson suing little Dean is the worst possible thing Gibson could do to their reputation.

I guess that the new corporate buyout owners at Gibson don’t really care about actually making well built guitars at reasonable prices, but instead will try to make some money from legal settlements before they abandon this brand, whose already damaged reputation they have now completely trashed.

Some of the comments on the Reddit page that still has the lame-o "you have been warned" video are hilarious - my favorite: "Mark, if they are torturing you, blink twice."
Poor dweeb: tryin' to be a tough guy, all the while the puppetmaster lawyers and MBAs in the suits at Gibson are jerking him around.

If corporate suit run Gibson prevails against little Dean - and they have stacked the deck as much as they can by filing the suit in patent troll plaintiff lovin' East Texas District Court - then perhaps Martin should sue Gibson for infringing on the dreadnought.

I have come to loathe what this iconic company has become.

Last edited by Kerbie; 06-21-2019 at 02:06 AM. Reason: Please refrain from profanity
Old 06-21-2019, 01:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
Silly,
You really need to let go of this Gibson thing you got goin' on.
Seriously, "junk yard dog." C'mon man.
Not sure what that means, but never mind. It just occurred to me that maybe the gent in the video has just gt his new job and wanted to make an impression, perhaps without consulting his bosses.

I'm currently working on a project which requires the consent and agreement of all involved, so I tread slowly and carefully 'lest I offend anyone involved.

However, I also have a very capable "action man" that agrees to a consultation process then goes and does stuff without awaiting input from others. I'm constantly apologising for him, whilst trying to keep him involved but controlled.

He's productive, but a a loose cannon who doesn't consider the implications of his actions, and is very difficult to manage.

Perhaps this chap poses the same issues for Gibson's board.
Old 06-21-2019, 04:30 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Lawsuit was issued by Gibson against Dean Guitars today. Based on Dean's Flying V looking too much like Gibson's and other guitar's headstock too.
My understanding is that the lawsuit is about Dean alluding to being associated with Gibson is some type of business connection. As in advertising or PR. It isn't about design look a likes.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 06-22-2019, 06:02 AM

Dean / Armadillo would be wise to retain Ron Bienstock as their counsel.

At one time he had so many lawsuits going on against Gibson that somebody suggested he get a booth at the NAMM Show.
Old 06-22-2019, 07:50 AM

I would think musicians would respect copyrights/trademarks.

I'm with Gibson on most of this.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Old 06-22-2019, 08:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 619TF View Post
^^This. An owner of any intellectual property must enforce that right lest it be deemed waived. I don't see what the big deal is for Gibson to say they don't want people ripping off their designs but then again, as stated, it sure took them long enough (maybe TOO long) to start doing that. Only the Courts will decide (and not the court of public opinion either).
Unfortunately what us lay people think is right or wrong often holds only marginal if any relationship to what is legal precedent and likely enforceable, besides usually being overly simplistic in scope.

Trademark infringement law and case precedent is much more complicated than just X company came out with this guitar shape first so they own it.

Both Gibson and Fender have been down this legal road before and In a very simplistic nutshell, the court decisions have more or less relegated their enforceable Trademark protection to headstock shape and (obviously name)
And that general body shape is not protected

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic