The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 03-14-2019, 05:30 PM
AGF Sponsor

I usually build a spec guitar for each show. Last year I made one for La Conner (Amazon RW JB-L00) and one for Vancouver ("Tree" FT-00). I think both are truly great, but neither sold, so I am bringing them and you can all scratch your heads and wonder about that with me. I also made the two "Zigotic Twin" single 0 guitars specifically for this event (and Artisan if I still have them), so I will bring 4, most likely. I recently took a Pernambuco D I made a couple of years ago in trade against a much older BRW dread, and if I thought this was a dreadnought crowd, I could bring that too, as it holds up amazingly well against my flock.
Old 03-14-2019, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Teel View Post
When I committed to Tom’s offer, I agreed to bring at least two guitars. The third guitar is the one that’s pushing me to the deadline. I’m sure, now, that it’s going to be ready, but last month, when I wasn’t sure if it would be, I declined an offer on one of the first two...to insure that I’d be able to honor the commitment I had made to Tom. Now, as it is, I should be showing up with three...who needs sleep anyway
Thanks Joel, I appreciate it as I am sure the attendees will too. Sleep is highly over-rated!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post
I usually build a spec guitar for each show. Last year I made one for La Conner (Amazon RW JB-L00) and one for Vancouver ("Tree" FT-00). I think both are truly great, but neither sold, so I am bringing them and you can all scratch your heads and wonder about that with me. I also made the two "Zigotic Twin" single 0 guitars specifically for this event (and Artisan if I still have them), so I will bring 4, most likely. I recently took a Pernambuco D I made a couple of years ago in trade against a much older BRW dread, and if I thought this was a dreadnought crowd, I could bring that too, as it holds up amazingly well against my flock.
And I will be flying in with my fantastic Sexauer BRW/Italian JB-L00 for folks to try! It is an amazing instrument by any standard.
Old 03-14-2019, 05:58 PM
Charter Member

To avoid having to ship twice, my Circa 000-12 will be shipped directly to Tom. I'm going to bring my Brondel A-2c (Carpathian/Madrose) as well.
Old 03-14-2019, 06:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justonwo View Post
To avoid having to ship twice, my Circa 000-12 will be shipped directly to Tom. I'm going to bring my Brondel A-2c (Carpathian/Madrose) as well.
Whoa! Hopefully not too far in advance or we know what Tom will be doing the next couple of weeks!

Hahaha!
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)
Old 03-14-2019, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justonwo View Post
WOOT WOOT, I think that is my first perk for hosting and a really great one it is! Juston has given me his blessings to open this for him and warm it up!!! Wow, that is very generous of him to say the least. I am not sure there will be a lot of time, but it will be hard to resist the temptation!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemoman View Post
Whoa! Hopefully not too far in advance or we know what Tom will be doing the next couple of weeks!

Hahaha!
Right, Kathy may get upset if I hide myself away with this Circa and leave her to get set up!!!
Old 03-15-2019, 02:09 AM

Looking forward to this! I’ll arrive a bit weary, though. 3 weeks ago, I was in Tijuana, Mexico, interviewing asylum-seeking kids for my next book. 2 weeks ago, I took the went-to-WWII guitar to Kalamazoo for a video shoot with the last surviving of the Kalamazoo Gals. Last weekend, I took the guitar to London for a related video shoot for a guitar magazine. I’m currrently in Lesvos, Greece, interviewing refugee kids for my book and using the guitar to give lessons to kids in refugee camps.

So many projects, so little time.
Old 03-15-2019, 08:41 AM

DNA from refugee kids on this guitar? That is truly special!

I love the story of this guitar (I have the book) and I'll look forward to reading your next book. You're truly doing special work!

And in Texas, you can sleep in and relax and drink good craft beer with all the exhausted luthiers. We'll help Tom take care of you! Although- were you one of those people who was talking about bike riding or trail running or something?

I look forward to meeting you in a few weeks. Safe travels!

beth
Old 03-15-2019, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmh1 View Post
DNA from refugee kids on this guitar? That is truly special!

I love the story of this guitar (I have the book) and I'll look forward to reading your next book. You're truly doing special work!

And in Texas, you can sleep in and relax and drink good craft beer with all the exhausted luthiers. We'll help Tom take care of you! Although- were you one of those people who was talking about bike riding or trail running or something?

I look forward to meeting you in a few weeks. Safe travels!

beth
Thanks, Beth! It’s been a fascinating journey.
Old 03-15-2019, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt1 View Post
Looking forward to this! I’ll arrive a bit weary, though. 3 weeks ago, I was in Tijuana, Mexico, interviewing asylum-seeking kids for my next book. 2 weeks ago, I took the went-to-WWII guitar to Kalamazoo for a video shoot with the last surviving of the Kalamazoo Gals. Last weekend, I took the guitar to London for a related video shoot for a guitar magazine. I’m currrently in Lesvos, Greece, interviewing refugee kids for my book and using the guitar to give lessons to kids in refugee camps.

Wow, well a little quick trip to SA should not even be a warm up for you. We will have a great time.
Old 03-16-2019, 02:14 AM

Thanks again, Beth and Tom.

Music really is the universal language. I spent a good part of yesterday afternoon jamming at a refugee camp with a group of young guitar players. No need for words. Just watch someone’s hands, motion to repeat if you want to learn the lick, not pick and grin.

More this afternoon and some full days of music teaching next week. Pics and video soon.
Old 03-16-2019, 10:10 AM
Charter Member

Smile Jet Lag ????

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt1 View Post

Egads! You are really getting around. And so is that Banner!!! My hat is off to you, Sir for these incredible good works.

CU at B.I.G.

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC
Big Tunnel 14 RW/Bubinga Dread(ish)

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 03-17-2019, 02:17 AM

A few images of the Banner making the rounds in the refugee community.

Old 03-17-2019, 06:28 AM

Thank you John! I couldn't ask for a better accompaniment to drinking my morning coffee than these pictures! Safe travels!

beth
Old 03-17-2019, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmh1 View Post
Thank you John! I couldn't ask for a better accompaniment to drinking my morning coffee than these pictures! Safe travels!
Thanks, Beth!
Old 03-17-2019, 08:24 PM

The guitar that is traveling the world with JT will be at B.I.G. along with Mr. Thomas himself who will be sharing the guitar and giving a presentation on Sunday. We are honored to have him as I know he will be at the Artisan show as well, but WE GOT HIM FIRST!!!!!

We are proud to have John share this remarkable story at B.I.G.

Still have space for anyone whose schedule has freed up for two weeks from now! Just PM me and we can work it out.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop