The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 08-28-2018, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rschuch View Post
Ancient thread, to be sure, but in the interest of completeness, I just HAD to mention John Renbourn, the guitarist who opened my eyes to Celtic and English guitar and possibly one of the best ever.
He was mentioned back in post #6 .

And FWIW I think his companion Bert Jansch (if only by being Scottish) had more of a handle on the "Celtic" side of things. Renbourn always struck me as very English in his traditional folk tastes (along with the American blues side, of course)

Here's Bert with one of his own Irish-inspired pieces:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsHcfMKWEeM

Mentioning BJ means we should probably include one of his teachers, Scot Archie Fisher (still going strong). Here he is with Tony McManus (already listed): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zm_2Tj_neso

Thanks for those other names, new to me.

Incidentally, anyone agree with me that using the word "Celtic" to cover Irish and Scots folk music is a little like jazz musicians using the word "Latin" to cover Cuban and Brazilian music? I imagine it must irritate the native musicians in the same way.
Old 08-28-2018, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonPR View Post

Incidentally, anyone agree with me that using the word "Celtic" to cover Irish and Scots folk music is a little like jazz musicians using the word "Latin" to cover Cuban and Brazilian music? I imagine it must irritate the native musicians in the same way.
Yes, speaking for meself here, but as an Irish person, who plays Irish traditional music, the catch all term "Celtic" brings to mind PBS specials and may be a handy label to categorize stuff for the likes of record stores, Pandora, Spotify et al, but it fails to recognize the differences between Irish traditional music, Scottish Traditional music, music from Cape Breton etc.
Old 08-30-2018, 12:25 PM

Tony McManus, Martin Simpson, John Renbourn, Gordon Giltrap, Ian Moore, Glenn Weiser, John Sherman, Rob Mackillop, Stephen Wake, Jean Banwarth, Gary Ryan.... there's many more.
Old 09-02-2018, 02:04 PM

Many excellent Celtic guitarists have been talked about here.
I am around Irish/Scottish/Cape Breton players all the time but especially in August. If I had to chose just one, it would be John Doyle. He is an incredibly creative player. Able to sound like there is two of him when he needs to. That is why he has played with so many other great artists. He was terrific when he was in Solas. That said, put him along side the fantastic Liz Carroll and it doesn't get any better.

One thing to think about. Not all of the Celtic nations play in the styles of those we think of most. Who is a great Cornish guitarist, for instance.

Finally, check out John Nicholson, one half of Frogwater. He is a super player of Celtic and other flavors. Incredibly versatile.
Old 09-09-2018, 10:36 AM

Post DADGAD tabs!

I have accumulated over the past 30 years a rather large collection (380Gb+) of Guitar tutorial paraphenalia...from Full DVD's to PDF's and Guitar Pro Tabs.

I am currently transcribing several DADGAD books into Guitar Pro 7, and have music from the likes of Pierre Bensusan, Tom Long, Martin Simpson, Duck Baker, Stephen Wake, Steve Baughman, Lauence Juber etc etc...the list is endless.

I am more than willing to share this with anyone who would care to have it. This is not for profit but personal use only!

PM if you're interested...especially if you have ANY version of Guitar Pro.

Last edited by Lunatic24_7; 09-09-2018 at 11:27 AM.
Old 09-09-2018, 03:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatic24_7 View Post
I have accumulated over the past 30 years a rather large collection (380Gb+) of Guitar tutorial paraphenalia...from Full DVD's to PDF's and Guitar Pro Tabs.

I am currently transcribing several DADGAD books into Guitar Pro 7, and have music from the likes of Pierre Bensusan, Tom Long, Martin Simpson, Duck Baker, Stephen Wake, Steve Baughman, Lauence Juber etc etc...the list is endless.

I am more than willing to share this with anyone who would care to have it. This is not for profit but personal use only!

PM if you're interested...especially if you have ANY version of Guitar Pro.
How do you like version 7? I'm still using 6 and not aware of why I should upgrade. BTW classclef has go files

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 09-19-2018, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy1951 View Post
Many excellent Celtic guitarists have been talked about here.
I am around Irish/Scottish/Cape Breton players all the time but especially in August. If I had to chose just one, it would be John Doyle. He is an incredibly creative player. Able to sound like there is two of him when he needs to. That is why he has played with so many other great artists. He was terrific when he was in Solas. That said, put him along side the fantastic Liz Carroll and it doesn't get any better.

One thing to think about. Not all of the Celtic nations play in the styles of those we think of most. Who is a great Cornish guitarist, for instance.

Finally, check out John Nicholson, one half of Frogwater. He is a super player of Celtic and other flavors. Incredibly versatile.

+1 for John Doyle

fantastic rythm player to back up irish music in my opinion

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write