The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 06-06-2009, 09:01 AM

Default Suggestions for Beginner Acoustic Jam

I'm organizing a beginner acoustic jam. We've got a few 3-chord songs that we're managing to play together in unison. Just wondering if people have suggestions on songs, resources, or other things we can do to make the jam more interesting.

I've got a little more experience than some folks in the group who are just starting out, and I was thinking of trying to learn the lead parts or riffs, but beyond that I'm not sure what to do.
Old 06-06-2009, 09:08 AM

Definitely make sure everyone is in tune !!! Also, have some capos available. Let each player feature a solo or a vocal part...even the weaker players.
Old 06-17-2009, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bern View Post
Definitely make sure everyone is in tune !!! Also, have some capos available. Let each player feature a solo or a vocal part...even the weaker players.
The capo is a good idea. You can all play the same three chords, but some people can capo and play them up the neck for some different sounds.
Old 06-17-2009, 12:12 PM

Maybe work up an arrangement? Have a 'loud' section and a 'soft' section. Get the players used to playing within a song and thinking about when they need to switch to the next section, even if the only difference is how hard they are strumming.

Have some players arpeggiate and others strum. Then have them switch.

Vary rhythms and feels. Play the 3 chord song in 4/4, 3/4, double time, half time, etc.
Old 06-18-2009, 09:28 AM

Lots of cold beer.

All kidding aside, this sounds like a great idea, and there are some good suggestions here already.

Hopefully, you can make this a regular thing (monthly, bi-monthly, 'what have you'), so for this first outting, I'd just try to keep it laidback and with minimal pressure on everyone (especially yourself). A lot of the players might feel embarassed about playing in front of others and especially singing (then add in singing -and- playing, something not easy to do). I know I was kind've shy at first about playing in front of close friends who I knew would be encouraging no matter what, but it still seemed daunting at first. (This is where the beer comes in. hehe.)

With all that in mind, I'd just keep it simple for the most part, and if you're fortunate enough to have more get togethers in the future, I'd then start adding more to the list of things to try.

Do you have any idea about what kind've songs this group would like to learn? Are they mostly Rock fans? Blues? Bluegrass? Classical? That would help narrow down song suggestions.
Old 06-18-2009, 10:00 AM

Jamming - great fun. And it's not rocket science. The newbies only need to know what key the song is to be played in and then they can just grab a I IV V progression and change chords when the person singing the song changes chords.

Watch his/her hand and do the best you can. As a I IV V progression contains every note within a key there is not a lot of bad stuff happens if you miss a chord change. Keep going and have fun. If you get lost a I V I loop will keep you in the song till you find your place.

We vacation in Mountain View, Ark. Jamm circles all over the Court House Square. All kind of talent, professional musicians off the tour and at home to people like you and I. Stand around with your guitar long enough and someone will invite you into a circle. Song called out in A - I was amazed at the number of people that would grab their capos and play in G. Asked why, they will say; "I play everything in G it's just easier." Yep when they call out a song in C that ole F is coming so grab your capo and play in what YOU like.

As to songs. In your group I'd suggest everyone show up the first time with three songs and have enough copies of those songs so everyone can be playing off the same fake chord -- and have the lyrics so they can participate when the lead is passed to them. When you are first starting a circle it's a good idea that everyone have fake chord on what could be played.

When the lead is passed to you -- you do not have to cut loose on a single note melody solo -- just sing the next verse and accompany your vocal with that same I IV V progression, or step/lean back and the lead advances to the next person. Your choice..... Great if someone plays the lead solo, but not mandatory. That 3 ring binder of the lyrics will help when it's your time.

Should mention the circle, everyone sits in a circle and the choice of songs rotate around the circle. Everyone gets the change to introduce a song. That person calls out the key and plays one or two verses of the song. The lead is then passed to the next person in the circle - who plays another verse and passes the song to the next person. When it gets back to the person that started the song he/she plays, sings, whatever, a last verse, chorus and that song is over. Time for a new song and a new person to introduce it. That's the normal way a circle works, it's your circle do it the way you and the other members like. Right at first you may just have a rehearsal session on the songs the guys showed up with.

Learning how to play with each other will enable everyone to play in a strange circle.

Have fun.

Last edited by Malcolm; 06-18-2009 at 11:50 AM.
Old 06-18-2009, 11:57 AM
Bang for the Buck Guitars

if you wanna dabble into the lead part i suggest you to get familiar with a common key, and don't get too fancy with the lead part, work out a few notes that'll work, and that's pretty good alrady

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write