The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 07-07-2019, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCWaters View Post
The issue is an app specific issue, not an iPad issue...most of the apps I use that deal with confidential data allow you to log in and out...
Yes, it's unfortunate that the Gmail iPad app is like this.
Old 07-08-2019, 02:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agfsteve View Post
Thanks, that will help a bit.

Well I agree, in principle, but it is the only way that you can open the Gmail app if you don't want someone to be able to read your emails. Here's a scenario that is problematic: My wife wants to hand her iPad to our niece, who is twelve years old, to play games or whatever. Our niece has mental medical issues that my wife talks about in emails to her sister (niece's mother). So there is no way to prevent our niece from either deliberately or inadvertently reading these emails. I think that is ridiculous. If there was just a simple "Log out" button in the Gmail app, all would be fine.

Yes, you're probably right, but it's frustrating, because a dedicated app is invariably better than using a browser. It's just really annoying that there is no "Log out" feature. If there was, then anyone who wants the persistent login could stay logged in, and anyone who wants to log out can do so. In fact, my wife might want to stay logged in most of the time, and then simply log out before handing the iPad to someone, but instead she would have to delete the app and re-install it--that's crazy.

That example is totally understandable. Luckily, in September when the new iPadOS ships the browser experience for gmail will improve significantly. Google isn’t known for making the best experience on Apple’s devices, it’s actually much better on Android or on desktop. Right now you can only access gmail on an iPad via the app or using the browser which gives you the more limited mobile version. With the update coming in September, Safari becomes more powerful and will show you the desktop version of all sites, including Google’s services, and that should make the experience considerably better.

Last edited by Kerbie; 07-08-2019 at 02:39 AM.
Old 07-08-2019, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vubui View Post
That example is totally understandable. Luckily, in September when the new iPadOS ships the browser experience for gmail will improve significantly. Google isn’t known for making the best experience on Apple’s devices, it’s actually much better on Android or on desktop. Right now you can only access gmail on an iPad via the app or using the browser which gives you the more limited mobile version. With the update coming in September, Safari becomes more powerful and will show you the desktop version of all sites, including Google’s services, and that should make the experience considerably better.
Thanks for your help, and thanks to every one who has contributed to this thread.

I am hopeful that my wife will stick with her iPad, observing the noted idiosyncrasies, which are partly due to the way some apps work, as opposed to the iPad itself.
Old 07-08-2019, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agfsteve View Post
Thanks for your help, and thanks to every one who has contributed to this thread.

I am hopeful that my wife will stick with her iPad, observing the noted idiosyncrasies, which are partly due to the way some apps work, as opposed to the iPad itself.

Good luck! I’ve switched to the iPad as my primary device (I did it a few years ago for 6 months but the platform wasn’t ready yet) and with the new OS coming it’ll be even better/easier. Hope it works out.
Old 07-09-2019, 03:16 PM

I close the apps on my iPhone and iPad regularly to make the battery charge last longer. Most of them have a setting set on to do location services or continue operating in the background. This uses up battery juice.

The secret to life is enjoying the passage of time.
Old 07-09-2019, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by valleyguy View Post
I close the apps on my iPhone and iPad regularly to make the battery charge last longer. Most of them have a setting set on to do location services or continue operating in the background. This uses up battery juice.
That's wrong if this is a reasonably up to date iPad or phone and you have a decent software set up. The operating system has good power management. Just waking that screen and creating read, write and CPU cycles is a battery burn. People argue with me about this but I have dozens of iPads that have to work 2-3 shifts a day every day of the year. It's something we know and see from training, being an Apple Business customer, and just the reality of managing it all.
Old 07-09-2019, 04:48 PM

You do not have to delete the Gmail App! all you have to do is logon and logoff.

It’s the same when I’m checking my banking account or my Fidelity financial account after I’m done I just log off.
Old 07-15-2019, 07:20 PM

This season was fantastic! Can't wait to see where the next season will go
Old 07-16-2019, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahorsewithnonam View Post
You do not have to delete the Gmail App! all you have to do is logon and logoff.

It’s the same when I’m checking my banking account or my Fidelity financial account after I’m done I just log off.
Not on the latest iPad. Here's what google themselves say about it, at https://support.google.com/mail/answ...m%3DiOS&hl=en:

The only way to sign out of the Gmail app is to remove your entire account from your phone or tablet.
Old 07-16-2019, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imwjl View Post
That's wrong if this is a reasonably up to date iPad or phone and you have a decent software set up. The operating system has good power management. Just waking that screen and creating read, write and CPU cycles is a battery burn. People argue with me about this but I have dozens of iPads that have to work 2-3 shifts a day every day of the year. It's something we know and see from training, being an Apple Business customer, and just the reality of managing it all.
What's wrong? Are you saying something like Google Maps, if left open, will not use battery with location services running in the background. I do not believe that is correct.

Old 07-16-2019, 12:57 PM

Quote:
What's wrong? Are you saying something like Google Maps, if left open, will not use battery with location services running in the background. I do not believe that is correct.
Apple improved the multitasking and power management quite a while ago.

One still has power and privacy choices that should be looked at. If you have an app set to use location all the time or refresh in the background you will use more battery.

For work and personally I set Google maps location services to "While Using". It hardly ever shows up as much of a battery burner.

Our order picking app developer and Apple Store staff both say just lighting the screen and opening or closing apps use more power than a good app with proper settings.
Old 07-16-2019, 02:47 PM

Thanks.

When my wife is done using her iPhone, she simply puts it in her purse, where the screen stays on for an additional minute. I've quit trying to tell her to turn off the screen to save battery life.

Old 07-16-2019, 02:50 PM

One more question, the map apps have a setting for background app refresh. I assume this means if you do not close the app it will continue in use, no?

Old 07-16-2019, 04:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauren_WarEagle View Post
This season was fantastic! Can't wait to see where the next season will go
When you're done watching this season, be sure to log out, so no one else watches it.
Old 07-17-2019, 06:36 AM

Quote:
One more question, the map apps have a setting for background app refresh. I assume this means if you do not close the app it will continue in use, no?
For all practical purposes, it appears going to home screen or lock cuts the battery use. We have a lot of company owned tablets and phones at 4 locations. All seems fine with the basic management steps I describe. Some of our devices are managed but the concepts and settings are in essence the same.

I hope I don't sound too harsh. When performance issues come up I go for measurement tools where they exist and vendor support. Quite a few argue with me about that but this is at enough scale where guessing is no good.

Good luck.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic