The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #16  
Old 06-30-2019, 10:50 AM
AndreF AndreF is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 770
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJVB View Post
One of the risks of drinking lots of water is sodium (salt) depletion.
That's a good point. Drinking water is important, but (like many things) you have to do it in moderation. Otherwise, your cells can become so diluted that they lack the necessary sodium content to properly metabolize.
That's what happened to an unfortunate marathon runner who died because she had over-hydrated with regular water.
There's a medical term for it: Hyponatremia.
So, dehydration in the summer is a concern for sure, but so is sodium depletion. If you take a diuretic on top of that, make sure you get back both: water + electrolytes.
RJVB's suggestion of mineral is also excellent imo. I like to keep bottles of Apollinaris mineral water handy in the hot months, just for that purpose.

Glad to hear that you're getting your BP under control though. That's really important. As are cardio workouts, like a good walk in nature, to relieve stress.

As your mind is, so will your guitar playing be!
__________________
Best regards,
Andre
http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 06-30-2019, 12:28 PM
jpd jpd is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Sacramento Valley Border
Posts: 9,643
Default Is your guitar playing the first thing that decreases?

For me it's around #5
__________________
"When the stars line up, magic happens"
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 06-30-2019, 01:01 PM
marty bradbury marty bradbury is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: The "wet" side
Posts: 3,196
Default

I find that if my health sucks, my guitar playing sucks (which is not unusual anytime on the guitar side) anyway, Health #1, Guitar playing #2, Glad your feeling better Barry,
__________________
"Be yourself, The world will adjust"
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 06-30-2019, 01:05 PM
TBman's Avatar
TBman TBman is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Northern NJ
Posts: 24,899
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreF View Post
That's a good point. Drinking water is important, but (like many things) you have to do it in moderation. Otherwise, your cells can become so diluted that they lack the necessary sodium content to properly metabolize.
That's what happened to an unfortunate marathon runner who died because she had over-hydrated with regular water.
There's a medical term for it: Hyponatremia.
So, dehydration in the summer is a concern for sure, but so is sodium depletion. If you take a diuretic on top of that, make sure you get back both: water + electrolytes.
RJVB's suggestion of mineral is also excellent imo. I like to keep bottles of Apollinaris mineral water handy in the hot months, just for that purpose.

Glad to hear that you're getting your BP under control though. That's really important. As are cardio workouts, like a good walk in nature, to relieve stress.

As your mind is, so will your guitar playing be!
Mineral water.... interesting idea.
__________________
Barry

Originals:
Dark Air *** The Stone Path


Covers:
Star of the County Down

The Foggy Dew

Ciuil Amuigh

Avalon L2-320C, Larrivee OM-05, Guild D-120c, Gibson J-45, Martin D-16GT and others
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 06-30-2019, 02:06 PM
fitness1's Avatar
fitness1 fitness1 is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Central Lower Michigan
Posts: 18,059
Default

I take a multi-vitamin every day and have for almost 40 years (minerals)

When I exercise excessively (like today - 50 mile bike ride) I mix Gatorade and water about 50-50 to replace electrolytes.

Got to make sure you have your "fuel" correct!!
__________________
"One small heart, and a great big soul that's driving"

Charis SJ Koa/BC Sitka
Charis GC EIR/Cedar
Mcknight/Poling GC Koa/Italian
Cordoba Solista EIR/Euro Spruce

Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 06-30-2019, 06:27 PM
KevWind's Avatar
KevWind KevWind is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Edge of Wilderness Wyoming
Posts: 11,338
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
Early this week and the last I had an "incident" for lack of a better word. I was walking as if I was 90 years old. My legs were tired and I just didn't feel right. My blood test I just had came back good, no surprises. I mentioned to the doctor about how I was feeling and there was nothing in my blood to indicate anything was wrong. My blood pressure was higher than usual though.

On Thursday morning I took my blood pressure because I felt off and sure enough it was 160/98. I stayed home from work, stayed off my feet and drank plenty of water. By the evening my bp was 130/81. I took it slow on Friday but felt good enough to return to work. I continued to drink plenty of water and this morning my bp was 116/71.

Through all of this my guitar playing has been in the trash. Stuff that used to flow is sloppy, but I can feel the old me coming back slowly. My wife said she was glad to see me walking around the stores the way I used too tonight, but my playing is still "off."

Has anyone experienced anything like this?
Unfortunately yes to the tired part. Get the opinion of a good cardiologist right away.



I have always been slender and in good shape.
BUT 6 -7 years ago I had to have both carotid arteries sliced open and roto rooted because of severe cholesterol plaque blockage 80% blocked on one 98% blocked on the other. Discovered from a ultrasound after almost passing out one evening on a scuba Dive trip to Roatan.
After the double endarterectomy I completely changed diet started cardio exercise (bicycling) and made steady improvement for about 8-10 months
But after 8-10 months I started noticing I was getting slightly more tired after riding (less endurance) did not think to much about it but decided to get checked after returning from a long planned scuba and fly fishing to the Bahamas

Went on the trip Did the diving first thank goodness. Began to notice that hauling my gear down to boat was a big effort. But that was only two days .
Then had a full day off and just did some sightseeing walking around Nassau and felt OK
Went on the fly fishing trip and felt ok-ish but got noticeably and progressively more tired by the evenings .
When coming home I was back at the Nassau Airport I could hardly haul my roller duffel and with carry on on top thru the length of the airport. Never at any time did I have chest pain.
Got home asked my cardiologist about it, he scheduled an angiogram for the next day. Went in looked and stopped, got the Vascular surgeon who did my carotids on the phone, scheduled a double heart artery bypass for the next day. Again one was 75% blocked one was 90% blocked
Unusual tired was the only symptom
__________________
" Peace cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding." Albert Einstein
Enjoy the Journey.... Kev...


KevWind at Soundcloud
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 06-30-2019, 07:14 PM
TBman's Avatar
TBman TBman is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Northern NJ
Posts: 24,899
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Unfortunately yes to the tired part. Get the opinion of a good cardiologist right away.



I have always been slender and in good shape.
BUT 6 -7 years ago I had to have both carotid arteries sliced open and roto rooted because of severe cholesterol plaque blockage 80% blocked on one 98% blocked on the other. Discovered from a ultrasound after almost passing out one evening on a scuba Dive trip to Roatan.
After the double endarterectomy I completely changed diet started cardio exercise (bicycling) and made steady improvement for about 8-10 months
But after 8-10 months I started noticing I was getting slightly more tired after riding (less endurance) did not think to much about it but decided to get checked after returning from a long planned scuba and fly fishing to the Bahamas

Went on the trip Did the diving first thank goodness. Began to notice that hauling my gear down to boat was a big effort. But that was only two days .
Then had a full day off and just did some sightseeing walking around Nassau and felt OK
Went on the fly fishing trip and felt ok-ish but got noticeably and progressively more tired by the evenings .
When coming home I was back at the Nassau Airport I could hardly haul my roller duffel and with carry on on top thru the length of the airport. Never at any time did I have chest pain.
Got home asked my cardiologist about it, he scheduled an angiogram for the next day. Went in looked and stopped, got the Vascular surgeon who did my carotids on the phone, scheduled a double heart artery bypass for the next day. Again one was 75% blocked one was 90% blocked
Unusual tired was the only symptom
Thanks for the heads up. We see a cardiologist regularly. We were just there and had gotten wired up and blood tests too. Something to remember though, thanks.

I'm going to touch base with my doctor just to be sure.
__________________
Barry

Originals:
Dark Air *** The Stone Path


Covers:
Star of the County Down

The Foggy Dew

Ciuil Amuigh

Avalon L2-320C, Larrivee OM-05, Guild D-120c, Gibson J-45, Martin D-16GT and others

Last edited by TBman; 06-30-2019 at 08:53 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 07-01-2019, 09:53 AM
Pura Vida Pura Vida is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Northern CA & Costa Rica
Posts: 1,531
Default

Barry, I hope youíre feeling better. As others mentioned, other factors (pain, dehydration) could have caused a temporary BP spike, but better safe than sorry. My guitar playing is therapeutic (see Neilís reply), and when Iím not feeling well, my playing suffers (or I donít feel like playing at all).
__________________
"It's only castles burning." - Neil Young
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 07-01-2019, 10:32 AM
TBman's Avatar
TBman TBman is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Northern NJ
Posts: 24,899
Default

I'm feeling a lot better thanks everyone, however my playing still stinks and I'll never be able to play polkas on an accordian again,

The difference in my playing is worrying me a bit though. Here's me a while ago:

http://www.reverbnation.com/open_graph/song/30750284

And here's my playing this weekend:

http://www.reverbnation.com/open_graph/song/30931049

Not good.
__________________
Barry

Originals:
Dark Air *** The Stone Path


Covers:
Star of the County Down

The Foggy Dew

Ciuil Amuigh

Avalon L2-320C, Larrivee OM-05, Guild D-120c, Gibson J-45, Martin D-16GT and others

Last edited by TBman; 07-01-2019 at 10:52 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 07-01-2019, 02:52 PM
ManyMartinMan ManyMartinMan is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: In The Hills, Off Mulholland
Posts: 3,285
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
...Default Is your guitar playing the first thing that decreases?..
Nope. Hairline, waistline, sight line, hearing, THEN things really start to go downhill.
__________________
In My Opinion, The Dude.

Enough Guitars To Make A Living With....
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 07-01-2019, 05:59 PM
TBman's Avatar
TBman TBman is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Northern NJ
Posts: 24,899
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManyMartinMan View Post
Nope. Hairline, waistline, sight line, hearing, THEN things really start to go downhill.


.................
__________________
Barry

Originals:
Dark Air *** The Stone Path


Covers:
Star of the County Down

The Foggy Dew

Ciuil Amuigh

Avalon L2-320C, Larrivee OM-05, Guild D-120c, Gibson J-45, Martin D-16GT and others
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 07-02-2019, 05:03 AM
Mandobart Mandobart is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Washington State
Posts: 1,569
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith.rogers View Post
....Joking aside, I'd probably want a second opinion if I had a significant physical event and my doc brushed it aside. Actually, my wife, the RN, would insist on it.
My wife, an RN for the past 35 years, has seen so many dead or dying people she is completely unimpressed by any illness or injury I may suffer. "That's nothing, I've seen way worse. Get back to work."
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 07-04-2019, 12:15 PM
Pura Vida Pura Vida is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Northern CA & Costa Rica
Posts: 1,531
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandobart View Post
My wife, an RN for the past 35 years, has seen so many dead or dying people she is completely unimpressed by any illness or injury I may suffer. "That's nothing, I've seen way worse. Get back to work."
My wife is an ER nurse, and we get the same reactions from her. I had a kidney stone, and after being told to ďsuck it up,Ē I insisted that she take me to the ER. Size of a marble and immediately wheeled into surgery. A couple years ago, I had a weird pulse thing, and she was calmly taking bets whether it was a blood clot (thankfully, it was not). She isnít completely dismissive, but it takes a lot to rattle her too.
__________________
"It's only castles burning." - Neil Young
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 07-04-2019, 05:30 PM
Pitar Pitar is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 4,773
Default

No decrease in physical ability yet. Today I worked on my front yard leveling soil with shovels and rakes for sodding after ripping out dying shrubs and other plants that were simply too much to bother with anymore. The temp index was 98įF with an RH of 75%. I started at 0930 and finished by 1530 with three breaks to cool down and hydrate spaced over the period. I suppose my day is coming but, so far, 64 has been very good to me.

As far as playing goes, inspiration is a lady I know very well who drops in, stays for awhile, and then vanishes unannounced. The frequency of her visits seems to be predicated upon my excursions into new melodic territory. She's a helper.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 07-05-2019, 10:21 AM
RustyAxe RustyAxe is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 5,916
Default

I donít think so. I can still play guitar all night long!
Reply With Quote
Reply

  The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Thread Tools



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:53 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, The Acoustic Guitar Forum
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=