The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 06-27-2019, 03:33 PM

When you feel you are at a crossroads with regards to playing with others on an amateur basis, IMO that's usually the point where you're ready to go pro.
Old 06-27-2019, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCCougar View Post
Then play with yourself - multitrack recording!
Or a looping pedal or whatever those things are called. Justin Johnson uses those with great effect on many of his videos and I presume in his solo performances.

Or else ... Music Minus One
Old 06-27-2019, 06:41 PM
Charter Member

Hi Bill,

I'm the kind of guitar player that likes to play by myself. So I record, have a YouTube channel, I can stay busy and motivated.

But there are a lot of guitar players that like to play with others. Years ago I found out about a group called Guitar League in Syracuse, NY https://www.guitarleague.com/. I worked with the founder way back in about 2007 when they were sponsoring a group of concerts and a workshop with Tommy Emmanuel. I flew out there with my wife, got to know some of the folks there, and also met Tommy Emmanuel. These guys will provide you a kit to start a guitar league in your home town for free. You could very likely get help from your local newspaper to get such a group started. Or, maybe you have a community college near you that would help you get something like this going.

So starting a Guitar League in your area might be something you could do to help bring some new life to your community of Victoria.

Also, I have a daughter who lives in Ithaca, NY and they have a yearly event called Porchfest. https://www.porchfest.org/2015-musicians/ This is also something you could start in your area, again, something that might bring new life to your community of Victoria. You would need the help of your local newspaper, maybe a local radio station. Maybe if you started a local Guitar League, you would then know enough people to start your own local Porchfest.

Just a couple of ideas. There are guitar players out there. They just don't know you are there yet.

I hope these ideas might be helpful to you. Best of luck!

- Glenn
Old 06-27-2019, 07:06 PM

If I had half as much experience as you folks, I'd be teaching.

Good Luck with your decision.

LEFTY
Martin Custom Shop 000-28
Taylor 312ce 12-fret
Crafter TA 080/AM
Old 06-28-2019, 02:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
There are guitar players out there. They just don't know you are there yet.
And that "they" includes you (the OP). There can be any number of fellow players who'd be happy to find others to play with.

Matt's suggestion is good too, and can go hand in hand with setting up some kind of local structure. But if you're going there, why keep it limited to guitar?
Old 06-28-2019, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil K Walk View Post
When you feel you are at a crossroads with regards to playing with others on an amateur basis, IMO that's usually the point where you're ready to go pro.
The OP spent his career as a professional performing musician.
Old 06-28-2019, 03:48 PM
Charter Member

Howdy everyone, First let me give a great big "THANK YOU " for all of your great advice, information and wisdom. You have helped more than you realize. I ordered a looper to play around with, have talked with some folks that are interested in taking lessons. I used to write poetry, so going to try my hand at writing some music.
So I will be taking the right road and keep playing and enjoying music.

Thank you !
Bill

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic