The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 02-15-2007, 04:48 PM
Cocobologist

The Carvin System linked above is the same one I'ved used at Borders shows in the past. Good audio quality, plenty of headroom and power. Of the ones discussed so far, I would recommend the Carvin...

As also mentioned, if you're seriously looking, hit eBay and Craigs List before buying the First Act -- I'd bet you could find a lot higher quality product on the used market for about the same price...

| '02 814c Custom (Coco/Sitka) | '03 912ce Custom (Coco/Engelmann)| '06 K65ce | '17 J45 Std. | '10 Breedlove Revival OM DLX (EIR/Adi) | Lots of electrics...
Old 02-15-2007, 06:40 PM

You can get a yamaha stagepas 300 for $549 MAP. Go to a guitar center and you can probably talk them into knocking $50 or so off the price, and you can get a 30 or 45 day return policy on them.

You'll get an all in one unit with twice the power and a long reputation of making quality gear.

First act is the fisher price of electric guitars. I wouldn't take the chance on an unproven PA system from them especially when you can get a well regarded system from a well regarded company for less than the cost of the unknown system.
Old 02-16-2007, 06:16 PM

I'm with Mismo above -- you can spend about that or a little more and get a Fender (or Carvin? or other established name) starter PA -- but make sure they have the power you think you need, too, for what you're doing. The First Act brand, I believe, is the maker of the electric guitars that VW is giving away with their new cars with the "plug in" guitar set-up on TV... a weird combination of products, but that's what they're doing. I think I'd rather have either a nicer set of floormats, or a better guitar (and spend another hundred or so bucks -- you're paying for whatever's "free" anyway)...

Debut album Time Will Tell now available on all the usual platforms
-- visit SeanLewisMusic
Old 02-16-2007, 06:41 PM
Musical minimalist

buy something used.....period

Look at Mackie 406M, Yamaha EMX312sc , Carvin XP660 (?)or similar
and maybe a pair of Carvin PM15's

you'll have about 700 cheeseburgers into it, but I guarantee the minute you get something smaller, your going to find out you need more power.

Old 02-16-2007, 06:47 PM

I would stay away from First Act, they are definitely bottom of the barrel. No music stores that I know of even carry them, they are more of a Walmart kind of thing.

When buying a P.A., your going to need something you can rely on. The last thing you need is to be at a gig and the it conks out on you or sounds terrible. If the P.A. sounds bad, the audience will generally think the band is bad.

I would stick with a reputable brand like the Carvin or Fender mentioned in the previous posts. I would also recommend Yamaha, Mackie, and Peavey. I have a Yamaha powered mixer and have been pleased with it, great bang for the buck. Mackie is one of the cleanest sounding and most populer, but also more expensive. Any of these brands should serve you well.

Also if things go well and you start playing bigger gigs someday, you may want to upgrade to a bigger system. You'll have a hard time giving away a First Act, while the other brands would at least fetch a decent used gear price.

Just my 2 cents.
'06 Taylor 414ce
'03 Taylor 355
'05 Gibson 185 EC Special jumbo
'91 Gibson Les Paul Studio Lite
'96 Gibson Les Paul Studio
'04 Fender Highway One Strat
'06 Fender American Precision Bass

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell