The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 05-27-2022, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lkristians View Post
Avs break the tie with :06 seconds left in regulation to advance to the conference finals. NHL playoffs RULE!!
Last-second goals giveth, and last-second goals taketh away. Avs finally get out of the second round.
Old 05-27-2022, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipotle View Post
Last-second goals giveth, and last-second goals taketh away. Avs finally get out of the second round.
As a Flames fan, but also a resident of Alberta, I hope the Oilers beat the Avs.

How's that, for a rarity in the "Battle of Alberta"?!

1978 Yamaha FG-331
2020 Recording King ROS-09-TS
2007 Alvarez RF20SM
1936 Supertone 233 "Hawaiian Belle"
1930s Harmony Mandolin

Instagram: new_york_albertan
Old 05-28-2022, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lkristians View Post
Avs break the tie with :06 seconds left in regulation to advance to the conference finals. NHL playoffs RULE!!
What a way to lose a playoff series... giving up the winning goal in a deciding game with 6 seconds left.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everton FC View Post
As a Flames fan, but also a resident of Alberta, I hope the Oilers beat the Avs.

How's that, for a rarity in the "Battle of Alberta"?!
That's a rarity but it's pride for one's province.

Heading into the playoffs I thought the conference finals would be Colorado-Calgary. Colorado-Edmonton isn't too far off.

Go Oilers!
Old 05-28-2022, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
What a way to lose a playoff series... giving up the winning goal in a deciding game with 6 seconds left.
Well, the Avalanche let the Blues even get to that point by giving up a game-tying goal with 60 seconds left in the previous game. Shoulda been over in five.

Go Avs!
Old 05-28-2022, 12:12 PM

Isn't there another series going on in the East?
Old 05-29-2022, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Isn't there another series going on in the East?
HA! I know right?

Another 7 game series for the Hurricanes.

One does wonder how Carolina would be doing without home ice for the first 2 rounds? There is something about that crowd in that building, tough place for a road team.

Attrition may be the biggest issue if the Hurricane can get past the Rangers. Lightning are now idle just waiting.

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 05-29-2022, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmp View Post
HA! I know right?

Another 7 game series for the Hurricanes.

One does wonder how Carolina would be doing without home ice for the first 2 rounds? There is something about that crowd in that building, tough place for a road team.

Attrition may be the biggest issue if the Hurricane can get past the Rangers. Lightning are now idle just waiting.
Yea, Carolina hasn't won a single road game this post season (0-6). I guess that means they haven't lost a single home game though.

Tampa Bay is going to be rusty in game 1. That's a long delay.
Old 05-29-2022, 09:06 AM
Charter Member

Despite going to Game 7 this has not been a particularly thrilling series. Home team gets a lead and visitor can't find their game after that. Rangers were very good on the road all year so maybe there'll be some magic. Sean McDonagh, who totally fanned on Brady Skjei's goal, showed again that he's not a hockey announcer.
Flammang SEL
SCGC 00-12 EIR/Sitka
SCGC OM Mahogany/Moon
Old 05-29-2022, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roberts View Post
Despite going to Game 7 this has not been a particularly thrilling series. Home team gets a lead and visitor can't find their game after that. Rangers were very good on the road all year so maybe there'll be some magic. Sean McDonagh, who totally fanned on Brady Skjei's goal, showed again that he's not a hockey announcer.
When it comes to hockey announcers I've always found CBC's Hockey Night in Canada the best... which is now Sportsnet. That said, I had Devils season tickets in 2007-08 and I would watch the road games on tv and Doc Emrick was great.

I have no clue whos' going to win game 7. I'm thinking Sheskerkin is going to steal a game in Carolina. I don't think either team will get by Tampa Bay though, even with that long layoff.
Old 05-29-2022, 11:00 AM
Charter Member

Just to mention it, but it's been so much much fun talking with all you guys. Obviously passionate hockey fans, no trash talk, no sports talk radio bs, just really knowledgeable with total appreciation of the game. Good to get a feel for how folks think out in the prairie and maritimes!
Flammang SEL
SCGC 00-12 EIR/Sitka
SCGC OM Mahogany/Moon
Old 05-29-2022, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Yea, Carolina hasn't won a single road game this post season (0-6). I guess that means they haven't lost a single home game though.

Tampa Bay is going to be rusty in game 1. That's a long delay.
The Rangers are resilient, because of Gallant. Sutter just recently said Gallant gt "screwed" in Florida and Vegas. Not a "verbatim" sentence typed there, but it was close.

I pulled for the Oilers vs. the 'Canes, back in '06. And I'm a Flames fan! I'll be pulling for them, the Bolts (my brother lives in St. Pete, and has been a die-hard Bolts fan since Day 1), and the Rangers, as I was born and raised in NY (always "leaned" Islanders, as my older brother was an Isles fan, but my best friend growing up is a Rangers fan, as are most of my childhood friends).

Which means I will not be pulling for the Avs, though I respect Sakic immensely.

1978 Yamaha FG-331
2020 Recording King ROS-09-TS
2007 Alvarez RF20SM
1936 Supertone 233 "Hawaiian Belle"
1930s Harmony Mandolin

Instagram: new_york_albertan
Old 05-30-2022, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Just to mention it, but it's been so much much fun talking with all you guys. Obviously passionate hockey fans, no trash talk, no sports talk radio bs, just really knowledgeable with total appreciation of the game. Good to get a feel for how folks think out in the prairie and maritimes!
There aren't a lot of AGF hockey fans but the people in this thread over the years are wonderful, knowledgeable fans who don't need to trash talk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everton FC View Post
The Rangers are resilient, because of Gallant. Sutter just recently said Gallant gt "screwed" in Florida and Vegas. Not a "verbatim" sentence typed there, but it was close.

I pulled for the Oilers vs. the 'Canes, back in '06. And I'm a Flames fan! I'll be pulling for them, the Bolts (my brother lives in St. Pete, and has been a die-hard Bolts fan since Day 1), and the Rangers, as I was born and raised in NY (always "leaned" Islanders, as my older brother was an Isles fan, but my best friend growing up is a Rangers fan, as are most of my childhood friends).

Which means I will not be pulling for the Avs, though I respect Sakic immensely.
I saw Gerald Gallant play in the AHL when he was with the Adirondack Red Wings and he played a game in Moncton. I still remember his mother sitting in front of us (unknown to my dad and his friend who had season tickets) and her comment when they heckled him .

I've always been a fan of the PEI boy since that day. He won the Memorial Cup when he coached Saint John - so cool. He did an amazing job in Vegas too and took them to the Cup final in year 1. I'm not a Rangers fan but when he was announced as the coach for this year's team, after the team missed the playoffs last year, I knew they had someone special.
Old 05-30-2022, 02:29 PM

Quote:
When it comes to hockey announcers I've always found CBC's Hockey Night in Canada the best... which is now Sportsnet. That said, I had Devils season tickets in 2007-08 and I would watch the road games on tv and Doc Emrick was great.

I have no clue whos' going to win game 7. I'm thinking Sheskerkin is going to steal a game in Carolina. I don't think either team will get by Tampa Bay though, even with that long layoff.
Totally agree. CBC/Sportsnet have the best announcers. Plus their visual coverage is the best by far. I would wager to say that CBC has the best sports coverage in the world. OK, maybe not all sports, but hockey? For sure. The alpine coverage (be it slalom, super G, whatever) is also top notch.

Finally, a Stanley Cup playoff with MacKinnon and McDavid. Time enough, with at least 4 games, for us to see them both in action, together. I am looking forward to it! BTW, I find it doubtful that it will be only 4 games. I can not image either of them making a sweep. At least I hope not. That would be a bit disappointing. I want to see them really duke it out.

Neither team will get by Tampa.

Celtic harps: 1994 Triplett Excelle, 1998 Triplett Avalon (the first ever made - Steve Triplett's personal prototype)
Old 05-30-2022, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Right back at ya! I enjoy this thread with you all. It's a team effort, just like hockey! And as it relates to PxP announcers, I sure do miss Doc Emrick!
Old 05-31-2022, 05:34 AM
Charter Member

Have followed the NHL threads for the past two years and enjoy hearing from locals who are familiar with their home teams and players since I know little about west coast teams.

Our local stations don't carry to many games since they feel that the 17 people who would watch don't interest high end advertisers. The playoffs are usually my first chance to see some teams since they are nationally televised and it's amazing the talent in the league.

Have been a die-hard NYR fan all my life and yes, was thrilled with last nights game but worried none the less. They had a habit in the past of giving up a 2-3 goal lead in the last few minutes and only the empty netter made me relax.

Penguins and Canes both had backup goalies in net for the series so that may have been the difference. If my memory is correct NYR played and won all 3 games against TB this year but these are playoff games so no predictions.

Thanks for all the info here and hopefully I'll be able to contribute in the future.

john

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic