The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 03-17-2024, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
Re: Sliding the minor pentatonic down and having the major pentatonic--yes, but with the caveat that the same licks don't necessarily work.

No, indeed. It has a whole different palette of in-between notes. It's just the pentatonic scale shapes themselves that are the same.

Proclaimer, a lot of blues and swing is made by mingling major and minor pentatonics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
For example, the Chuck Berry bend the third string at one fret and play the top 2 strings two frets lower together...That doesn't magically become a good major pentatonic lick just by playing the whole thing 3 frets lower...

The major scale is the entire foundation of Western Harmony, and it's absolutely crucial to know it inside out.
'Zackly!

Last edited by Charlie Bernstein; 03-17-2024 at 06:47 PM.
Old 03-23-2024, 07:29 AM
Charter Member

Smile

AGM team: Thanks for all the awsome feedback!
Old 03-24-2024, 01:23 PM
Charter Member

When I began to learn to play the guitar I spent too much noodling and basically trying to reinvent the wheel thinking that I was being self taught. I would have been far better off learning from someone who could teach in an organized and thoughtful manner. Getting the basics like the CAGE system and learning major scales will enable you to benefit from all the information that's freely available on the web. It's like getting your foot in the door and in some ways it's the first step that's the hardest

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write