The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-17-2017, 12:51 PM
Guest3224

Default What are Martin Marquis Guitars?

Hey guys, what exactly are the current 2016-2017 Martin Marquis guitars?

I can't find any specs or anything about them online. Trying to find info on the 00 or 000 models. What makes these different from the standard versions of these models?

Last edited by Guest3224; 08-17-2017 at 01:18 PM.
Old 08-17-2017, 01:18 PM

D-28 & OM-28 Marquis are discontinued - likely not any others, as none are listed.

Now called the Authentic and Vintage lines.
Old 08-17-2017, 01:20 PM
Guest3224

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg257 View Post
D-28 & OM-28 Marquis are discontinued - likely not any others, as none are listed.

Now called the Authentic and Vintage lines.
Thanks, man, but what makes it a Marquis? Is there something premium (woods, etc) with these models?
Old 08-17-2017, 01:45 PM

The Marquis are the re-branded name for the now discontinued "Golden Era" guitars. About 15-20 years ago, these models were made with more attention paid to pre-war martin details and construction. However, they were also designed to be more maintainable with an adjustable truss rod, modern neck shapes, and made with less expensive titebond glue construction. The original Golden Era models included exotic tone woods like Brazilian rosewood. These guitars, and a few other specific models were grouped into the Marquis series, represented Martin's pre war modeled instruments. Eventually, Martin substituted East Indian rosewood for Brazilian on these models and they were, again, re-branded the D28 Marquis and OM28 Marquis, respectively. These were discontinued this January, presumably, to spur sales of their more expensive Authentic models.

More recently, the Golden Era/Marquis design gave way to their Authentic design. The Authentic guitars are designed to be near replicas of specific guitars from the Martin museum. They are hand made with period correct construction methods, hide glues, and other period correct materials like non-adjustable t-bar truss roods. They also treat the wood with a torrefaction process to make it sound broken in. With the exception of Madagascar rosewood substituted for Brazilian rosewood, they are the closest facsimile to a pre war piece that Martin currently makes. Many Martin aficionados believe these are the best Martins the company has made to date.

Last year, I purchased a D28 Marquis, before it was announced that they were to be discontinued. I was blown away with the power and articulation of this guitar. However, at some point, I lost my way and decided that I should "upgrade" to their respective Authentic model and sold the D28 Marquis to fund the purchase. I learned 4 valuable (and expensive) lessons:

1. More expensive does not equal better.
2. I greatly prefer East Indian Rosewood to Madagascar Rosewood.
3. My hands do not like the uniquely shaped necks of these Authentic guitars.
4. When you have something that works for you, stop hunting for the the "next best thing."

For me, the Marquis is just a better fit. I live in a cold climate and I appreciate the adjustable truss rod, though that is a topic of debate. The neck is more comfortable and playable. The tone is excellent, deep, bassy, punchy, and loud.

After selling the Authentic at a great loss, and purchasing a very good, but different sounding replacement, two days ago I bought one of the last remaining D-28 Marquis guitars offered for sale. I know of one or two new guitars left at dealers across the country. They are now, otherwise, only available on the used market. And, their value has been holding steady as a result.

My advice to you, if you are considering one of these high priced pre war styled guitars is to go and play them in person and be prepared to spend a few hours. These are expensive purchases and they loose 20% of their value as soon as you walk out the door. So, make sure you're satisfied with the tone and the neck before committing. And, once you find something you like, be careful not to get caught in the AGF (keeping up with the Jones') trap.
Old 08-17-2017, 02:16 PM
Guest3224

Great info, thanks.

I only own one acoustic at this time (a Guild D-40, New Hartford...great value guitar bought used at a fantastic price), so I am not into the keeping up with the Jones game. I'm into value/price for the quality. A Marquis came up at a very good price so I needed more info on it, since I'm looking for a finger picker.

I have played many guitars in the shops and owned other guitars in the past but never bonded within a few days so I returned them. I'm really picky and obsessed with price/quality of materials ratio and playability, not necessarily expensive guitars.

Thanks for the info.

Last edited by Guest3224; 08-17-2017 at 02:29 PM.
Old 08-17-2017, 02:40 PM

I have owned both the 000-18 Marquis and a couple 000-18GE models - excellent guitars by the way, and one of the best price/value relationships in the Martin line up IMHO.

The only difference I could detect in mine (other than the Marquis happened to be a tobacco burst) was the head plate on the GE was Brazilian (see CITES and Lacy Acts) and the Marquis was not.
Old 08-17-2017, 02:53 PM
Charter Member

I have played 3 or 4 Martin D-28 Marquis' and I've played 2 D-28 Authentic 1937s and to me neither is better, they are both great guitars.

High End Guitar Review Videos.
www.youtube.com/user/rockinb23
Old 08-17-2017, 04:16 PM
Charter Member

As Dave said, they are discontinued. I was one of the fortunate ones to pick up a D-28 Marquis brand new earlier this year. It's a marvelous, superb instrument in every way: tone, projection, sustain, and workmanship.

The Martin website still has the specs (see link below for the D-28 Marquis specs). Compared to a D-28 Standard, there are quite a bit of differences: Adirondack top, forward shifted scalloped bracing, modified v-neck with 1-3/4" nut, herringbone purfling, bone nut, saddle, and bridge pins. All those changes came at a premium. Like the Authentics / GE's, they are quite a bit more expensive than the standard series equivalents.

https://www.martinguitar.com/guitars.../d-28-marquis/
2017 Eastman E10 OM
Old 08-17-2017, 06:23 PM
Charter Member

The D-28 Marquis is discontinued in the Martin lineup but it can still be had brand new from Jon at MFG thru the Custom Shop. Same exact guitar...different neck block stamp. (CS) Also the 000-18GE!

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 08-17-2017, 06:30 PM

For a while Marquis designated Adi top versions, instead of Sitka, of standard guitars, and had GE style bracing.

Now Marquis is more of a series instead of specific models, clear as mud, I love my Martins but their naming conventions are bizarre, and change over the years........

Followup - I've owned Standards/Vintage/Marquis/40 series/Authentics/Custom Shops. They are "different" as opposed to better, if someone prefers a D-28, someone else a D-28 Marquis, someone else a D-28 Authentic, someone else Madagascar over EIR, nobody is wrong.

Suit yourself, allow others to do the same........

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)

Last edited by rmyAddison; 08-17-2017 at 06:38 PM.
Old 08-17-2017, 07:23 PM
Guest 1928

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmyAddison View Post
For a while Marquis designated Adi top versions, instead of Sitka, of standard guitars, and had GE style bracing.

Now Marquis is more of a series instead of specific models, clear as mud, I love my Martins but their naming conventions are bizarre, and change over the years........

Followup - I've owned Standards/Vintage/Marquis/40 series/Authentics/Custom Shops. They are "different" as opposed to better, if someone prefers a D-28, someone else a D-28 Marquis, someone else a D-28 Authentic, someone else Madagascar over EIR, nobody is wrong.

Suit yourself, allow others to do the same........
Here's a summary I wrote a while back to explain the difference between the Marquis Series guitars and the Marquis Collection on the website and catalogue. The landscape has changed now though, since the Marquis Collection no longer exists and the GE/Marquis guitars have been discontinued.

There is a distinction between Marquis Series and Marquis Collection. A Marquis Series guitar is a GE Series guitar where IRW has been substituted for BRW, such as the D-28 Marquis. They have features and construction typical GE Series guitars. The Marquis Collection is the catalogue/website grouping that includes models still in production from the Vintage Series, GE/Marquis Series, and Authentic Series.

For anyone who doesn't know, the GE/Marquis guitars had lighter bracing (more aggressively scalloped) and a smaller bridge plate. This was paired with red spruce tops. Other than Authentics, this is the lightest bracing Martin offers.
Old 08-20-2017, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWB5007 View Post
I have owned both the 000-18 Marquis and a couple 000-18GE models - excellent guitars by the way, and one of the best price/value relationships in the Martin line.
Couldn't agree more. Bargains!

My experience has been that the older original and discontinued 000-18GE's from 2005 and the next few years sound somewhat better to the new "custom shop" offerings. Could be the seasoned and open Adi or maybe just better components and build. Don't know and just my 2 cents.

Only thing better is a 000-18 Authentic. Easily beats out the GE in all ways but they are nearly twice the price used. Only 96 total made.

Either way you can't go wrong!
Old 08-20-2017, 11:38 AM

Following these posts, which are very informative -- thanks! -- I find myself getting really annoyed at the way Martin gets deeper and deeper into creating slightly different, ever-changing variants on standard model guitars. I also find it troubling that the result is that buyers get instruments with various details matched to their relative whims and interests which then have significantly reduced resale value because other in the marketplace want slightly different minor features. My good vintage guitars are not great because they have binding or a grain pattern that I like. I used to love Stratocasters because they were all... Stratocasters. Then Fender began is ever-expanding creation of a billion variants, and Martin is following suit. Clearly, peole like this, which is great, and I hope I'm the only one who wishes they would put more value and care into fewer models.
Old 08-20-2017, 10:56 PM
Charter Member

My D-28 Marquis is the one guitar out of my dozen or so that I'll always own. It works for everything I play on it and I find the neck very comfortable. Not everyone likes the neck. The mod-V is on the chunky side and the string spacing is 2 5/16" at the bridge, so the strings are spaced pretty wide. I think that works great for finger picking and gives me plenty of room to dig in. Not everyone agrees, so, while it's my favorite guitar, many have found them unwieldy. Best to try first unless you know you get long with a wide neck. I also own a 000-28vs, which is another vintage reissue and still in the line.
Old 09-27-2017, 08:59 PM
Guest3224

Old thread, but can anyone find the full specs for the 000-18 Marquis?

I once again came up with a chance to buy one at a fair price, but I can't find the specs online. Even under Martin's discontinued models I'm not seeing it.

Thank you.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion