The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 07-26-2018, 12:50 AM

Default Best Classical guitar under $1000? Alhambra, Cordoba Camps etc.

Hi.

I'm a devoted beginner guitarist looking for a good classical guitar with good quality built and sound
My budget is $1000

There are many brands such as Cordoba, Yamaha, Alhambra etc . and there are many online reviews.
But nothing beats going to a store and trying them out.

Of course i'm looking to get as much quality as possible for under $1000 in terms of sound, wood etc

I went to sone guitar shops and tried out a few and so far i think:

Alhambra 4P

- Pros:
Price: 523,00 €
Wood: solid Red Western Cedar top

Alhambra Iberia Ziricote
(New model)
- Pros
I like the sound it produces more than the Alhambra 4P even thought it's cheaper in price than the 4P
Price: 499,00 €
Wood: Top is Solid cedar

I wonder how Alhambra compares to Cordoba in terms of the quality you get per buck? So far i've looked at:

[h]Cordoba GK Studio (a smaller flamenco body which is nice and still sounds close to a classical guitar sound which is what i want) [/h]

Cordoba C7 CD
Unfortunately Alhambra and Cordoba were in 2 separate shops so i couldn't compare them.

These guitars sound amazing on youtube.
Paco Castillo 204
Camps M-6 S

Do any of you experienced guitarists have some comments, other recommendations or experience with the listed guitars? Which gives the most for the price in terms of build quality and sound`? I will be fingerpicking a bit and i have big hands.
Your help would be much appreciated.
Old 07-26-2018, 05:35 AM

I love my Alhambra 10P which is parlor size (I have the opposite problem, I have small hands) but the guitar is great-sounding and (IMHO) quality built.
Old 07-26-2018, 09:50 AM

I am a huge fan of Camps guitars. Also their necks are well known in Spain for being very playable.

In your case, as a beginner it is hard to know what you want, so I can only offer the advice that you play and try as much as you can. Stick with the one that sounds good to you, and is comfortable to play. The strings on the guitars you try in the shop will make a big difference to their sound. Old strings will sound quieter and duller, you can tell their old by looking for wear and oxidation (tarnish) on the bass strings. A good shop should change the strings if it needs it.

After a couple of years of playing you will understand the different sounds and feel of guitars much better. Then you can start looking for details that suit you.
I play: Acoustic blues & folk
Videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/sirwhale28/videos
Old 07-26-2018, 01:00 PM
Musical minimalist

I will add this:

I've had probably 50-60 classicals pass through my hands in the last 15 years.....most between 1k and 3k used price. All different builders, wood combinations, bracing patterns, and of course slight variations in body size.

The one that has stayed the longest and makes me smile the biggest every time I play it is my Cordoba C9 Spruce.

There is something magical about the tone that comes from Mahogany in a classical - it amazes me that more builders don't use it. It may be the lightest guitar I've ever owned.

I've done some modifications - installed dual ports and lightened up the main cross brace (directly below the soundhole) some.

I just shake my head every time I pull it out. I wouldn't sell it for 4 times what I paid for it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Tags
akustic guitar, alhambra, classical guitar, cordoba