The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 07-30-2019, 09:13 AM

Default fret size preference

I'm finishing an archtop build I started some time ago and am torn about what size frets to put in it. This is a big (17") box made from vintage woods so I'm expecting a big sound. It will be amplified with a floating pickup for flexibility, but I expect to be playing acoustic swing a good share of the time.

So, it seems a lot of the old Gibsons from the 50s and 60s were fitted with medium jumbo wire. Playing acoustic flattop and electrics, I've come to favor what's referred to as "vintage" dimension (0.092" wide) wire and wonder if it might be appropriate for swing. I'm putting in EVO gold wire either way so durability is not a factor.

So swing players, what size frets do you prefer? Thanks in advance for helping me sort this out. RB
Old 07-30-2019, 03:27 PM

Jescar EVO 43080 should be what you're looking for if you want a "vintage" feel...
Old 07-30-2019, 03:39 PM

I like smaller frets for a lighter feel. Jumbo frets seem obtrusive to me. But frets have nothing to do with what music you play. Swing, bebop, country and western, frets that work for you will work for you regardless.
Old 10-19-2019, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyBoy View Post
I'm finishing an archtop build I started some time ago and am torn about what size frets to put in it. This is a big (17") box made from vintage woods so I'm expecting a big sound. It will be amplified with a floating pickup for flexibility, but I expect to be playing acoustic swing a good share of the time.

So, it seems a lot of the old Gibsons from the 50s and 60s were fitted with medium jumbo wire. Playing acoustic flattop and electrics, I've come to favor what's referred to as "vintage" dimension (0.092" wide) wire and wonder if it might be appropriate for swing. I'm putting in EVO gold wire either way so durability is not a factor.

So swing players, what size frets do you prefer? Thanks in advance for helping me sort this out. RB
What Gibson called “medium jumbo” starting in late 1958 is what is more commonly known now as “low wide” frets i.e. Dunlop 6130 .106 x .036
What many players and manufacturers would call medium jumbo now will be considerably taller. I personally love the 6130’s.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops