The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 01-10-2019, 09:42 AM

Default Netflix Will Hunt YOU Down!

I guess Netflix isn’t too happy with folks sharing their Netflix passwords with non subscribers. Apparently some British software company has developed a program designed to stop users of media streaming services, such as HBO and Netflix, from illegally sharing passwords to their accounts with others.
The way it works is the streaming service companies would hire this software company which in turn uses AI and “behavioral analytics and machine learning,” (whatever that is), to monitor and analyse password sharing activity across user accounts. The AI would then identify the rule breakers, as well as detect the fine line between finding account sharers and harassing a customer.
Now don’t ya’ll be sharing those passwords boys and girls!
Old 01-10-2019, 09:44 AM

With Netflix though, you can only stream so many devices at the same time depending on the plan. So, I don't understand the problem.
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 01-10-2019, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robj144 View Post
With Netflix though, you can only stream so many devices at the same time depending on the plan. So, I don't understand the problem.
According to Netflix, "the number of users that can stream at the same time will depend on your Netflix plan," those who pass on their credentials unlawfully can be chased and identified by an algorithm used by the software company.
Apparently Millennials are the major offenders. Netflix suspects at least 26% of Millennials are sharing passwords in violation of Netflix rules. How they would know that is beyond me.
Old 01-10-2019, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadcutter View Post
According to Netflix, "the number of users that can stream at the same time will depend on your Netflix plan," those who pass on their credentials unlawfully can be chased and identified by an algorithm used by the software company.
Apparently Millennials are the major offenders. Netflix suspects at least 26% of Millennials are sharing passwords in violation of Netflix rules. How they would know that is beyond me.
Yes, but since, for example, some plans only allow one steam at a time, what's the big deal? It's not like a dozen people on the same account are streaming simultaneously.
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 01-10-2019, 10:25 AM

What is this "Netflix" you speak of?? If I have the spare time to watch TV and have any brainpower left after work, I should be playing my guitar or doing any of a hundred other things. We don't have cable, use Hulu, or any other subscription service. Plus we DVR everything and zap commercials and the theme music for the very few shows that we watch.
Old 01-10-2019, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Yes, but since, for example, some plans only allow one steam at a time, what's the big deal? It's not like a dozen people on the same account are streaming simultaneously.

The big deal is the fine print in the user agreement. Netflix is in business to sell streaming content not to give it away for free.
Old 01-10-2019, 10:32 AM

I use my account in several locations as do many users, I don't see how subscribers would not see this as harassment.
Old 01-10-2019, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chistrummer View Post
I use my account in several locations as do many users, I don't see how subscribers would not see this as harassment.
Yeah, seems to me Netflix has enough problems already and don’t need to be ticking off their subscribers. I recall reading somewhere that Netflix is in deep doo doo financially.
Old 01-10-2019, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Yeah, seems to me Netflix has enough problems already and don’t need to be ticking off their subscribers. I recall reading somewhere that Netflix is in deep doo doo financially.
According to their 2017 financials, they made $560mm in net profit. I would say they are doing ok financially.

Also, Netflix is advanced enough that they wouldn't need to hire an outside firm to determine this. Just because a software company makes a piece of software doesn't mean that the streamers will use it. I happily pay for my Netflix subscription and don't know anyone who shares, but I know it happens.

I think Netflix would be better off continuing to create unique content than paying for software to find people sharing their passwords.
Old 01-10-2019, 12:13 PM

Quote:
If Netflix is having financial problems, that would seem to be all the more reason to crack down on illegal password sharing.

To me, Netflix is one of the best bargains in TV content. For like, 20 bucks a month you have unlimited access to your choice of uninterrupted, commercial free movies and shows. Commercial free. No need to even hold your finger on the FF button. Plus, if you want to watch one show in the living room, your spouse can watch a different one in the den, the kids can watch something else in their rooms. Which is what I think Netflix intended by allowing streaming content on multiple devices. (How this changes family dynamics is a discussion for another thread).

So let them crack down on illegal sharing of passwords. I want them to become financially solvent, so that I can continue to enjoy their service.
Martin 00L-17
Voyage Air OM04
Breedlove Oregon Concert
1975 Aria 9422
Old 01-10-2019, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitars+gems View Post
If Netflix is having financial problems, that would seem to be all the more reason to crack down on illegal password sharing.

To me, Netflix is one of the best bargains in TV content. For like, 20 bucks a month you have unlimited access to your choice of uninterrupted, commercial free movies and shows. Commercial free. No need to even hold your finger on the FF button. Plus, if you want to watch one show in the living room, your spouse can watch a different one in the den, the kids can watch something else in their rooms. Which is what I think Netflix intended by allowing streaming content on multiple devices. (How this changes family dynamics is a discussion for another thread).

So let them crack down on illegal sharing of passwords. I want them to become financially solvent, so that I can continue to enjoy their service.
Definitely agree on Netflix value. Not even a dollar a day to access more stuff than you could watch in a life time.
Old 01-10-2019, 12:18 PM

My netflix account allows two simultaneous users/devices. It doesnt care who or where they are.
Old 01-10-2019, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napman41 View Post
The big deal is the fine print in the user agreement. Netflix is in business to sell streaming content not to give it away for free.
As others have pointed out after me, it shouldn't matter where the devices are located. Everyone has Netflix on multiple devices which are seldom in the same location.

So, again, I don't see any problem.
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 01-10-2019, 01:43 PM

Quote:
I guess Netflix isn’t too happy with folks sharing their Netflix passwords with non subscribers. Apparently some British software company has developed a program designed to stop users of media streaming services, such as HBO and Netflix, from illegally sharing passwords to their accounts with others.

The way it works is the streaming service companies would hire this software company which in turn uses AI and “behavioral analytics and machine learning,” (whatever that is), to monitor and analyse password sharing activity across user accounts. The AI would then identify the rule breakers, as well as detect the fine line between finding account sharers and harassing a customer.

Now don’t ya’ll be sharing those passwords boys and girls!
Thanks for the info, i didnt know you could i figured they used a MAC address for your router or TV, but now i know i can share...lol
Old 01-10-2019, 02:32 PM

Quote:
As others have pointed out after me, it shouldn't matter where the devices are located. Everyone has Netflix on multiple devices which are seldom in the same location.

So, again, I don't see any problem.
Isn’t password sharing outside the members of your own household a violation of the user agreement?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic