The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 09-19-2018, 10:20 AM
Charter Member

Default Information requested - (a bit urgent)

Hi, I have just got my 1998 Collings DS2h back from a refret job. He "shot" the slightly warped board and replaced both nut and saddle, but now there is a rather irritating "tink" when I hammer on to an e on the D string - sounds like I'm getting the note behind the 1st fret to the nut or some such?

Does this sound familiar to anyone out there, and if so do you know of a remedy?

Luthier is experienced and will be expecting me to return it for any fine adjustments.
Old 09-19-2018, 11:02 AM

Happen anywhere else, or only doing that particular move?

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 09-19-2018, 12:13 PM

Sounds like the nut on the D string is a bit low. As a test, you can try adding a bit more relief to the neck, effectively increasing the clearance between first fret and string. If that solves the problem, the nut is too low, at least for your playing style on that string.
Old 09-19-2018, 02:00 PM

Hammering on? It's probably just the sound of the new frets. If you press the F note on the D string, so the 3rd fret, you should see just a hair of light between the bottom of the string and the first fret. If it is touching the fret there then it might be too low for you. But when you hammer on that open D string to the E you might be tapping two frets the E and the Eb. That could create some noise especially with nice new tall frets. Most people just deal with it though
Old 09-20-2018, 12:43 PM

Andy, PM me your address and I will send you down a "Nut Rocker" (which you can see if you click on my signature below). FOC, my treat. Won't even charge you postage.

This is an infinitely better method of checking nut height than the time honoured (but now out-dated) "press down between the 2nd and 3rd frets and observe the light gap".

I am intrigued by the "slightly warped board" thing.

I assume that by "slightly warped" you mean that there was massive excess relief in the fretboard which couldn't be corrected by means of the trussrod?
Old 09-20-2018, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
rather irritating "tink" when I hammer on to an e on the D string - sounds like I'm getting the note behind the 1st fret to the nut or some such?
Does not sound like a nut issue, IMO if it was a nut issue you would have issues on the open string, that being said, check it anyway, simplicity is the best, nothing outdated by a system that works perfectly every time, place piece of paper on top of first fret on D string, push the string to the board between 2nd and third fret, check how much drag you have if any at all, if its pinched hard then nuts too low. Or no paper and just visually check for a light gap.

IMO, for your issue, you want to just use a Fret rocker or credit, it card can tell you so much, 1st fret on the D string could be just a smidgen high by the sounds of it

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair