The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-12-2018, 06:43 AM

Default Expression pedal -why use it to control Boss looper (AD10)?

Hi folks

I have the Boss AD10 which has a socket on the back to connect an expression pedal. What I want to know is, what benefit would there be in having one, in terms of using the looper?

In the manual it looks like I can assign looper control functions to the expression pedal, but basically the same functions that the footswitch on the AD10 controls, so what's the point of having one?

Would be good if someone here has used an expression pedal to control the AD10 looper could comment or if not, any Boss looper with an expression pedal as I am sure they are pretty similar.

Thanks
Old 09-12-2018, 01:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyBGood View Post
Hi folks

I have the Boss AD10 which has a socket on the back to connect an expression pedal. What I want to know is, what benefit would there be in having one, in terms of using the looper?

In the manual it looks like I can assign looper control functions to the expression pedal, but basically the same functions that the footswitch on the AD10 controls, so what's the point of having one?

Would be good if someone here has used an expression pedal to control the AD10 looper could comment or if not, any Boss looper with an expression pedal as I am sure they are pretty similar.

Thanks
Hi JBG

Expression pedals control volume…so I'm guessing if you plug it in, it will control volume of either the loop or the main signal.

I'll bet it's covered in the manual…

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 09-12-2018, 02:42 PM

I just looked at the manual, and on pg 12 it shows that you can assign the expression pedal to Output volume, Ambience volume, or Loop volume.

You cannot assign it to any loop record/play etc. functions. The benefit is there, but not what you might be imagining.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 09-13-2018, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Currie View Post
I just looked at the manual, and on pg 12 it shows that you can assign the expression pedal to Output volume, Ambience volume, or Loop volume.

You cannot assign it to any loop record/play etc. functions. The benefit is there, but not what you might be imagining.
Thanks Gordon, right in that case as you say it would be even less useful than I thought!

I find that table on page 12 confusing though, as it lists several loop functions eg LS -loop stop, LC -loop clear etc. Why include them in the table if they cannot be assigned to the external pedal?
Old 09-13-2018, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Thanks Gordon, right in that case as you say it would be even less useful than I thought!

I find that table on page 12 confusing though, as it lists several loop functions eg LS -loop stop, LC -loop clear etc. Why include them in the table if they cannot be assigned to the external pedal?
Just from memory (I deleted the PDF), those other functions could be assigned to an external SWITCH, not the expression pedal.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 09-14-2018, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Currie View Post
Just from memory (I deleted the PDF), those other functions could be assigned to an external SWITCH, not the expression pedal.
Ok thanks, which begs the same question - why?

What is the purpose of assigning looper functions to an external switch when you already have a switch to do those things?
Old 09-14-2018, 09:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

What is the purpose of assigning looper functions to an external switch when you already have a switch to do those things?
Hi jbg

The Boss AD-10 is not a looper, but a sophisticated preamp and multi-effects pedal, with a single pedal 80 second looper included as one of it's features (not the central one).

Single button loopers almost always require you to re-start the loop, then stop and stand on the button for 2 seconds to erase the existing loop (most distracting when you are using it live). The AD-10 is no exception. It says right on the face that you double tap and stand on it to erase the loop (which is TAP: START TAP: STOP STAND: Erase/Reset)

Many single button loopers accommodate external switches to stop the loop, or erase etc. It's because a double pedal looper is far more flexible than a single button looper. But having a single unit to carry to a gig rather than a pedal board is so much simpler.

The extra pedal capability can be a bonus…depending on one's use and needs.

In the case of the AD-10 it can be assigned to about a dozen different functions of the unit including accessing memory, turning on-off the mute/tuner, Tap Tempo, etc. It's complicated (because it's menu-driven not button driven). You have to dig into settings or hit the 'secret' combination of buttons while holding the pedal switch to set functions up…

One nice setting is it apparently can be set to just clear the current loop.

Or the pedal can just be an extension of the loop button which would be handy if you run the preamp from a tray hooked to a mic stand - the button could be extended to the floor for foot use and leave the rest of the functions available to be switched by hand.

I had a Boss AD-5 which I used for years with my acoustics. It went to a local church where it is still their main preamp for the worship leaders in their church. The processing capabilities are solid, and the effects useful.

I'm guessing the AD-10 is like my AD-5 on steroids…Have fun experimenting…

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 09-15-2018, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi jbg
Single button loopers almost always require you to re-start the loop, then stop and stand on the button for 2 seconds to erase the existing loop (most distracting when you are using it live). The AD-10 is no exception. It says right on the face that you double tap and stand on it to erase the loop (which is TAP: START TAP: STOP STAND: Erase/Reset)

Many single button loopers accommodate external switches to stop the loop, or erase etc. It's because a double pedal looper is far more flexible than a single button looper. But having a single unit to carry to a gig rather than a pedal board is so much simpler.

The extra pedal capability can be a bonus…depending on one's use and needs.
Right, thanks Larry appreciate you taking the time to explain, that's just what I needed to know. So basically If I am intending to use the looper at gigs, then it sounds like having the external switch *would* make life easier.

I am pretty much a newbie with loopers and I *am* finding it fiddly using two taps to stop the loop, hold for 2 secs to clear etc whilst trying to play. If I used this live and messed up it would be really messy to try and fix things to start again.
Old 09-15-2018, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Hi folks

Thanks
I recently got got the AD10 and used that jack to hook up a two button footswitch to control the looper. This left the built in footswitches to control other functions. Works great for me this way.
Old 09-15-2018, 07:23 PM

Quote:

If I remember correctly, there was a looper function I use that could not be assigned to the internal switches. I set my FS6 just like my Ditto X2. Left is Record/Play and the right is Stop/Erase.
Old 09-16-2018, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidE View Post
If I remember correctly, there was a looper function I use that could not be assigned to the internal switches. I set my FS6 just like my Ditto X2. Left is Record/Play and the right is Stop/Erase.
Thanks David.

So let me get my head round your set up - lets say I want to record a loop, then have it play back immediately whilst I play over the top, then I want to stop the loop playing but recall it several times during a song when same part is repeated.

So would it be:

<left switch> start recording loop
<left switch> stop recording & start playback of loop
<right switch> stop loop playback
<left switch> start playback of loop (or would that start recording a new loop?)
<right switch> stop playback of loop
etc

Also does the footswitch require any kind of power supply?
Old 09-16-2018, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Thanks David.

So let me get my head round your set up - lets say I want to record a loop, then have it play back immediately whilst I play over the top, then I want to stop the loop playing but recall it several times during a song when same part is repeated.

So would it be:

<left switch> start recording loop
<left switch> stop recording & start playback of loop
<right switch> stop loop playback
<left switch> start playback of loop (or would that start recording a new loop?)
<right switch> stop playback of loop
etc

Also does the footswitch require any kind of power supply?
That is the way I have it set up. There are probably other possibilities.

The Boss FS6 footswitch does require a 9v battery. I power both the AD10 and the footswitch with a One Spot. There are other footswitches that won't need power, but I already had this one.
Old 09-17-2018, 05:27 AM

Thanks. And I take it you can store your assignments to the switches so you don't have to reassign every time you turn it on?
Old 09-17-2018, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Thanks. And I take it you can store your assignments to the switches so you don't have to reassign every time you turn it on?
Yes, that's correct.
Old 09-18-2018, 01:30 AM

Thanks David, OK I need to get one of these.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification