The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-14-2018, 11:11 AM

Hey Kid - nothing wrong with that setup. I am just floored by the easy great tone I am getting with the BOSS WL20/WL50 and K&K equipped Taylors, right into the S1 with the tone match set to guitar.

The WL 20 resolves the impedance issues, slight cut on the bass and slight bump on the treble and voila!
The vocals with an SM58 or what I use regularly, a Shure wireless headset sound amazingly good.

as I said though, the S1 may not be for everyone.
Just works for me.
Old 09-14-2018, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcopper View Post
Hey Kid - nothing wrong with that setup. I am just floored by the easy great tone I am getting with the BOSS WL20/WL50 and K&K equipped Taylors, right into the S1 with the tone match set to guitar.

The WL 20 resolves the impedance issues, slight cut on the bass and slight bump on the treble and voila!
The vocals with an SM58 or what I use regularly, a Shure wireless headset sound amazingly good.

as I said though, the S1 may not be for everyone.
Just works for me.
I love it when a great rig comes together!

I had to look up a BOSS WL20/WL50. Never heard of it.

You go wireless on an acoustic gig? Do you move around? I sit on gigs.

Last edited by The Kid!; 10-21-2018 at 05:15 PM.
Old 09-15-2018, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kid! View Post
You go wireless on an acoustic gig?
I'm always wireless for my guitar, whether acoustic or electric, just for the freedom it gives me and not having to kick the cord away from my feet all the time.
Friedman WW Smallbox, Marshall 4212
Old 09-15-2018, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcopper View Post
...voila!
Yeah! Voila, instead of the violin!
Friedman WW Smallbox, Marshall 4212
Old 09-15-2018, 09:53 AM
Charter Member

An interesting link from Bose regarding the use of the S1...

http://fohonline.com/newsroom/news/b...h-eliot-lewis/
Old 09-15-2018, 11:38 AM

My trio partner was in the neighborhood, and dropped off his S1 for me to play with for a few days. Looking forward to seeing what this little gem can do for me. It'd be nice to use two ... his: mic and vocal; mine: dobro and vocal; and run my small bass amp for bass guitar. An entire PA under 40 lbs! (not counting cables, mics, stands, and other accessories of course).

I'm hopeful ...
Old 09-16-2018, 07:50 AM

I like the freedom of wireless so I am not tethered to the amp. I find that more comfortable even if I am sitting and playing. The wireless headset mic keeps me from having a mic stand in front of me. To me, at least I feel a bit more out front and connected to the audience.
It also helps in set-ups to walk out and hear everything, making sure the levels are all OK.
There are several good threads on the BOSS WL50/WL20 wireless systems if you are interested you can check those out.
davidc
Old 09-17-2018, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyAxe View Post
My trio partner was in the neighborhood, and dropped off his S1 for me to play with for a few days. Looking forward to seeing what this little gem can do for me. It'd be nice to use two ... his: mic and vocal; mine: dobro and vocal
Well ?

I think 2 for a duo would be sweet, then an L1-Compact for the line outs if the gig was larger.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Old 09-17-2018, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy Slaw View Post
Well ?

I think 2 for a duo would be sweet, then an L1-Compact for the line outs if the gig was larger.
I have more PA gear than I need these days. Other than the battery option and the weight, the S1 doesn’t offer anything that my current PA setup gear doesn’t do much better. In fact, I think the Carvin S400 (with 2nd cab) I used to have was more practical and sounded as good, and better outside. I’m not sold on the S1.
Old 09-17-2018, 11:32 AM
AGF Sponsor

I was gigging a lot with a Carvin AG300, matching extension cab, and 1200 watt sub. That system sounded fine and could cover pretty big rooms.

Got a Lucas Nano 608i a while ago and haven't used the AG300 setup since. Sounds better, 10 minute set up, easier to move around, remote control, and bluetooth. If it's a gig in a large room or when playing "full band" with a bass player and drum/piano tracks it can't be beat.

But, wedding or quiet cocktail hour, walk in, sit down, and start playing, the S1 cannot be beat. Nothing else can do what the S1 can do and sound as good.
Old 09-17-2018, 01:23 PM

Default Bose S1 Pro

This might not be much help, but I'm playing bass through the Bose S1 pro...I like the light weight and the battery power...I mostly use a Hadean ukulele bass, but I've also used an Ibanez short scale, and the Taylor Mini Bass...I've used it inside and outside, and my band seems to like the sound...even the older ladies at the nursing home have commented on how they like it...

On another note, I have a friend who uses the Bose S1 pro indoors and outdoors...he does a lot of shows around the NorthEast...I've heard him use it outdoors on several occasions and it does not lack loudness or good tone...he used to use the Fishman 220a, but it's pretty much the Bose these days...
Gibson J-35
Larrivee Parlour
Martin Dreadnaught Jr.
Rainsong Shorty
Taylor GS Mini-e Mahogany
Yamaha FSX700SC
Cordoba 20 tm-ce Ukulele
Mitchell Baritone Ukulele
Taylor GS MINI e bass
Old 09-17-2018, 01:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acoustic rabbit View Post
This might not be much help, but I'm playing bass through the Bose S1 pro...I like the light weight and the battery power...I mostly use a Hadean ukulele bass, but I've also used an Ibanez short scale, and the Taylor Mini Bass...I've used it inside and outside, and my band seems to like the sound...even the older ladies at the nursing home have commented on how they like it...

On another note, I have a friend who uses the Bose S1 pro indoors and outdoors...he does a lot of shows around the NorthEast...I've heard him use it outdoors on several occasions and it does not lack loudness or good tone...he used to use the Fishman 220a, but it's pretty much the Bose these days...

Bass is an intriguing idea for my S1 as I've just returned from a rehearsal in which I lugged my TC Electronics combo amp for my Kala Ubass. The combo is not bad for a bass amp at around 40 pounds, but my S1 at 15 seems much better! I'll have to try it next time I play bass in church in about two weeks.
Old 09-17-2018, 03:54 PM

I do most of my ensemble work on bass. My "mini rig of doom" is a GK MB200 to a GB STL-8 cab. Total weight with cables ... 13 lbs. Fills most small rooms easily. The right tool for the job, is my mantra. Unfortunately, the S1 doesn't fill any job I have for it any better than what I already have. But other users are have different needs.
Old 09-17-2018, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyAxe View Post
Unfortunately, the S1 doesn't fill any job I have for it any better than what I already have. But other users are have different needs.
And that's the thing, it may be great but if you already have something adequate, why go out and buy something just because it's new?
Old 09-17-2018, 05:56 PM

I’ve thought of using my Bose S1 and my Henriksen Bud together: the Bud for my guitar, the S1 for the vocals. The Bud couples to the floor to create a full low frequency spectrum which fills out the thumb bass in my finger style well. Actually, the S1 can couple to the floor as well, but then the vocals get lost. Vocals really need to be on a stand over peoples heads. Anyway, the two together would likely sound awesome and could handle two guitars and two vocals: perfect for a duo.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification