The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 08-19-2018, 07:30 PM

Default left and right hand

Hello all!

I recently read (I believe on this forum) the concept of the 'left hand is our knowledge and the right hand is our personality'. I have thought deeply about this. It might be true...it depends.

In some ways it explains some things...maybe the 'chaos' that flows through the right hand of mine explains a lot...maybe...left brain/right brain?

That thought is reference to other posts of mine that received mixed reviews regarding the 'structure' or 'listenability' of my songs...That is to say that although I may have a good sense of timing, my rhythm might be lacking...There is that clave thing...Ugh!

Here is a song that I do not know creates a 'pulse'. I have a better sense of that concept...maybe it does.

I would like to believe I play from the heart, which does not necessarily mean it is in tune to The Universe. After the fact (recordings) I hear, maybe the need for a little less chaos.

Regards All,
david

Last edited by David Rock; 08-19-2018 at 07:47 PM.
Old 08-19-2018, 07:45 PM

David, I cannot comment on your technical/musical dilemma. Also, I have not heard your other pieces. What I can say is that I enjoyed this piece. I think it is well conceived and well executed.
Old 08-19-2018, 07:48 PM

I'm still working on developing that "sporting right hand" that Rev. Gary Davis spoke of...
Old 08-20-2018, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Rock View Post
Hello all!

I recently read (I believe on this forum) the concept of the 'left hand is our knowledge and the right hand is our personality'. I have thought deeply about this. It might be true...it depends.

The "fretting" hand is knowledge, the "picking" hand is personality, maybe?

Nice piece. Reminds me of some of the "new music" I was hearing from music professors in New England some years ago. I'd say you're just marching to a different beat.

Lefty Acoustics

Martin 00-15M
Taylor 320e Baritone

Cheap Righty Classical (played upside down ala Elizabeth Cotten)
Old 08-20-2018, 07:54 AM
Charter Member

Right and left hand work hand in hand for expression. Both hands to various degrees control tone, volume, note durations.

Control note durations rather than most of the time just letting notes ring out and die on their own - that keeps things cleaner, clearer, and more rhythmical. Control the volume of each note - usually the melody predominates. If you are composing something then structure it out into a coordinated whole.

Here is and example of something I just added to youtube. You may or my not like the style but it is a good example of what I posted above.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2X7lwF9FSM

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 08-20-2018, 08:06 AM

I have observed, like all of you, many many guitar players.

Most seem to have no idea what their picking/strumming hand is doing or is trying to fill in any tiny spaces with too much.

The players that appeal to me use the less is more approach.

Leave some space to let the words or melody sink in.

Granted some songs need that background rattle and wouldn't be right without it. But most don't.

"If you try to play like someone else, Who will play like you". Quote from Johnny Gimble

The only musician I have to impress today is the musician I was yesterday.

No tubes, No capos, No Problems.
Old 08-20-2018, 08:17 AM

Seems to me that with most people, until they become of aware of the concept, their fretting hand is almost always late. Just how late is a factor in the person's tone and personality. Duane Allman = fairly late. Dicky Betts = late, but less so. Chet Atkins = not late.

Couch Standards

Last edited by Brent Hahn; 08-20-2018 at 08:50 AM.
Old 08-20-2018, 03:03 PM
Charter Member

I believe that the first time I heard about the "two hands" thing, it went like this:

Your left hand shows what you know... your right hand shows who you are...
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 08-20-2018, 03:19 PM

I'm glad they don't break it down into specific fingers.

Couch Standards
Old 08-21-2018, 05:45 AM
AGF Sponsor

I like your work here.
One of my earliest teachers told me "The left hand is what you know, the right hand is who you are...."
Old 08-21-2018, 07:35 AM

Thanks for the response... It seems many have heard this saying with different verbiage, but similar results.

Derek, I listened to your post (and some others too). Your playing is impeccable! This latest post is very 'tight' and in the process very rhythmic.

As you allude to our playing styles are worlds apart. I do not play a 'driving bass line (usually). It doesn't 'fit' my style. I appreciate that for what it is though. I guess my latest reboot of songs was a more concerted effort to get my 'self 1' out of the way and connect to that pulse I have seen discussed in this section before. I think I have come a long way working towards that pulse concept.

I still am working on it...that is the point.

Thanks to all for the comments on 'Have You Seen Today?'. I like the way it turned out. I wrote it 9/11/01. I guess there ought to be a little chaos in there. There is a definitive break from meter at 1:48, the rest is pretty spot on I think.

Here is another song called 'Someday'. Again, the bass line is not driving, but I think there is a pulse that leads the song. I'm still working at having fun!

Be well,
D
Old 08-21-2018, 08:10 AM
Charter Member

David, the second tune sounds more under control (everything not running together - though there is a place for that in some tunes).
Decide what melody lines you want and what hooks and motifs you can incorporate and you're good to go.

Old 08-21-2018, 08:22 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
I'm glad they don't break it down into specific fingers.
LOL! No kidding.

Best,
Jayne
Old 08-21-2018, 08:28 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymarsch View Post
LOL! No kidding.

Best,
Jayne
Well, now that you mention it...

Old 08-21-2018, 09:43 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Rock View Post
Thanks for the response... It seems many have heard this saying with different verbiage, but similar results.

Derek, I listened to your post (and some others too). Your playing is impeccable! This latest post is very 'tight' and in the process very rhythmic.

As you allude to our playing styles are worlds apart. I do not play a 'driving bass line (usually). It doesn't 'fit' my style. I appreciate that for what it is though. I guess my latest reboot of songs was a more concerted effort to get my 'self 1' out of the way and connect to that pulse I have seen discussed in this section before. I think I have come a long way working towards that pulse concept.

I still am working on it...that is the point.

Thanks to all for the comments on 'Have You Seen Today?'. I like the way it turned out. I wrote it 9/11/01. I guess there ought to be a little chaos in there. There is a definitive break from meter at 1:48, the rest is pretty spot on I think.

Here is another song called 'Someday'. Again, the bass line is not driving, but I think there is a pulse that leads the song. I'm still working at having fun!

Be well,
D
Unfortunately language can be such an imprecise means of communicating especially musical ideas. So in terms of this and your OP

Let me offer for your consideration these video's which IMO relates to what I perceive your style could be .

I would suggest listening to as much by Gabor Szabo as you can find

And this short demo by Chick Corea bears some relationship as well

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 08-21-2018 at 09:54 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write