The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-19-2018, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HWP View Post
No doubt there is a significant WOW factor. This is a unique and revolutionary product and concept. Kudos to the designers and manufacturers for developing and bringing the TWA to market.

However I have to say overall I'm disappointed and will probably sell it. The effects aren't that good and make good guitars (MartinD21 and Taylor 914) sound tinny and metallic. Feedback is also an issue.

As also noted, you can't easily change or modify an effect in the middle of a song.

I suspect that future generations of the product will improve. One would hope that a firmware update would be possible.

It is quite tweakable and on the three guitars I have it installed in the quality is quite good. There are deep menu controls to notch out the feedback and that helps immensely. You can also plug it into a guitar amp or PA as a regular effects unit and the quality of effects when you do that is outstanding. I have X-braces installed in three guitars and it sounds good on all three, but I prefer it slightly on my all wood Martin with a solid back. Yes, it is firmware updatable.
Old 01-11-2020, 01:46 PM

Default How about a settings "library"?

I just got a Tonewood Amp to use with my Taylor 814 CE (2015 model) and I'm finding it to be feedback prone. I haven't gone through the notch filter settings yet, but I will. The thing that has occured to me is that each Tonewood effect has preset levels for gain, volume, decay, depth, etc. that can be adjusted. Once I take care of the feedback issues I plan to play with the settings on each of the effects. It would be REALLY helpful if there was a "library" of effect settings that others have used that work well for them. It would be a very helpful starting point to play with the settings to dial in the best, or at least favorite, effect for others to try. I was surprised to see that the other comments in the ToneWood Amp threads are from a year or more ago. It seems like this should be a more active thread. (Or maybe there could be a specific area where people can post settings.) I will post some of my suggested settings after I deal with the feedback and start playing around with some settings.
Old 01-11-2020, 02:43 PM

Recently hooked up the tonewoodamp and am very happy with the sounds. My impression of the effects is they need to be tuned to the particular guitar. The settings are easily saved for individual instruments.

Instead of libraries individuals submit, comments on modifying individual sounds i.e. why the author changed the effect in order to achieve the profile they wanted. In many profiles I have found reverb needed to be attenuated due to resonance a larger guitar has. Blending multiple pickups further complicates things.

So many sounds.

I Love it!

jhv
Old 01-11-2020, 03:55 PM

TWA has their own support and forum. I find information there to be more in depth and helpful than here. It is also moderated by their own technicians

https://support.tonewoodamp.com/support/home
Old 02-17-2020, 01:46 PM

I love mine and I agree that it depends on the guitar as to how you want to tweak the settings. I really only find about five of the settings usable. The first four hall, room, plate and reverb and the last one for the chorus effect that I got after a firmware upgrade. The rest of the setting are garbage to me. But I think it takes a guitar and just makes it a completely different instrument.

I have a guitar with a curve on the back so I have to position it sideways to get it to fully engage with the surface of the back but it is fine that way. Feedback is the biggest issue with these things but even just dialing back to volume on the guitar controls itself helps that. It is not meant to amplify but merely to add effects to the guitar but I find that it does in fact amplify my guitar. I have tweaked and saved my own settings and that has helped. I tend to like to magnify the effects as much as I can. If I am going reverb then I want a lot of reverb. If I want hall then I want a lot of hall. So I keep all my settings on the strong side but dialed back just enough to avoid feedback.
2019 Yamaha FGx5
2020 Yamaha AC3M Deluxe
2019 Yamaha FG800
2005 Taylor 214
Ibanez AEB10E Acoustic Bass

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification