The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-19-2018, 09:57 AM

Default Need of a DI for the LR Baggs Anthem

Hi there, everybody!

I'm making a combination of two pickups: LR Baggs M80 and LR Baggs Anthem. I use the M80 in the passive mode. Because of this, I'm thinking in use my Para Acoustic DI to shape the tone and add some gain to the signal. I also have a Session DI, and I was wondering if it would be better used with the M80 or with the Anthem.

The Anthem is an active pickup, and have a preamp on it.

The M80 will run my pedalboard effects (compressor, delay, reverb and a few other modulations), and both of the pickups will go to the QSC Touchmix 8, that have an awesome EQ.

So, my doubt is: should I run the Anthem into the Session DI, or it will be better to use the Session on the M80, since I use it in the passive mode?

What do you guys think?

Thank you!
Old 09-19-2018, 12:25 PM
Charter Member

It’s really hard to answer your question in the abstract. You need to do the work instead of looking for an easy way. Try the different possibilities and listen. Then decide.

FWIW when it comes to live sound simpler is usually better. Because the Anthem uses two pickups the M80 is the third pickup. With three pickups in your guitar you’re going to get phase issues. I would go with the Anthem or the M80 but not both together.
Old 09-19-2018, 01:41 PM

I agree with Al. Both of those pickups are know for their mic and mic-like response. Combining them will make a very complex sound. I can see if you were concerned about using electric guitar pedals and needed the mag pickup. But, I suspect you're going to be dissatisfied with the results, if you're looking for a solution that sounds natural.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Tags
anthem pickup, m80, para di, session acoustic di, touchmix