The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-18-2018, 12:48 AM
Charter Member

Default Schertler M-AG6.........problem?

My battery is only lasting about 30 hours!

I recently acquired the M-AG6, including the S-MIC-M. The batteries are exhausting much less than the expected 120 hours. I need to determine if I have a knowledge issue or a technical one.

I unplug from the amp after each use.

I have the pickup at max volume with a small amount of mic dialed in. I have it at max volume assuming that it's best to maximize the signal coming from the pickup, thereby needing less gain at the amp (AER Alpha).

User experience would be most welcome.
Old 09-18-2018, 06:42 AM

Mine lasts far longer. You said you are unplugging from the amp. This is probably too obvious, but are you unplugging from the guitar? Are you using the endpin cable assembly that came with it?
Old 09-18-2018, 12:13 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for responding.

I normally unplug from the amp. The cable is routed out the sound hole, which I sometimes disconnect.
Old 09-18-2018, 01:07 PM

As long as the cable is plugged into the pickup, you will be depleting your battery.

Fingerstyle Guitar ~ Hammered Dulcimer ~ Clawhammer Banjo ~ Diatonic Harmonica ~ Anglo Concertina

Old 09-18-2018, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wood nacho View Post
As long as the cable is plugged into the pickup, you will be depleting your battery.

Yes, that’s your problem. The pickup is switched on when there is a connection between the ring and sleeve of the TRS jack on the pickup. Leaving this cable plugged into the pickup makes this connection.
Old 09-18-2018, 03:20 PM
Charter Member

Thanks to both of you for the help.

I hadn't considered an on/off state, instead was thinking of a signal path.

I'm a happy camper!
Old 09-19-2018, 06:57 AM

How do you like the pickup? I love mine so much I put it in three guitars!
Old 09-19-2018, 12:29 PM
Charter Member

Default Schertler clarification

Thomas Brusati from Schertler asked if I would post the following:

"You must unplug the cable from the guitar otherwise the pickup will always be turned on all the time. Unplug[ing] it from the amp doesn't affect... the pickup circuit, so you left it on all the time...

Technically, the minijack plug on the pickup is a stereo one, the instrument jacks are mono ones, when you plug in the cable it works just like a switch and close[s] the two contacts of the stereo minijack, turning on the pickup. Unplugging the instrument cable, turns off the system. The jack on the other side of the instrument cable (amp side) doesn't affect the pickup switch..."
Old 09-19-2018, 12:40 PM
Charter Member

lkingston,

I like the sound, but I don't have any experience with amplification so I can't compare it to any other pickup. My Lowden F-10 is being re-fretted by Phil Jacoby. He is also installing the LR Baggs Anthem in that guitar.

I will say that the S-MIC makes a significant contribution to what I am hearing.

My current signal path is from the pickup directly to an AER Alpha. I am trying to decide on an EQ. I also hope to dabble with "Ambient" guitar and also looping.

I am still adjusting to the physical presence of the pickup. I find myself playing closer to the saddle than normal, thus getting a thin tone. But that's on me.
Old 09-19-2018, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trochilinae View Post
lkingston,

I like the sound, but I don't have any experience with amplification so I can't compare it to any other pickup. My Lowden F-10 is being re-fretted by Phil Jacoby. He is also installing the LR Baggs Anthem in that guitar.

I will say that the S-MIC makes a significant contribution to what I am hearing.

My current signal path is from the pickup directly to an AER Alpha. I am trying to decide on an EQ. I also hope to dabble with "Ambient" guitar and also looping.

I am still adjusting to the physical presence of the pickup. I find myself playing closer to the saddle than normal, thus getting a thin tone. But that's on me.

Just a couple of things I might add. I find the Schertler to need no special EQing. I run mine pretty flat with just a touch of high pass filter maybe if the sound system has a lot of low end.

One of the things I absolutely love about the Schertler compared to M80 is that it doesn’t pick up finger noise if you accidentally touch it. The M80 was particularly bad, but I’ve also noticed this with other mag/mic pickups to a lessor degree: that you could hear when you touched it. With the S-Mic, you can even touch the mic directly and barely hear a thing! This is cool because it means I can just play the guitar like it isn’t there. Yes, I might brush against it occasionally, but it doesn’t make a big noise like other body sensing soundhole pickups.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Tags
ag6