The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Marketplace

Old 09-14-2018, 08:44 PM
AGF Sponsor

Default New Mandolin Model now shipping, in Gorgeous "Flame" Casein. See photos.

We are now accepting orders on our stunning new mandolin model. About the heaviest demand we've ever had on a new model, so we're running long lead times right now.

Here's the direct link: https://www.charmedlifepicks.com/product-page/nmf-1-50

And here are some stunning photos. They look okay, I guess.

This model is the standard shape and size of the "chip" model popularized by Golden Gate for decades, along with, more recently, Wegen and some other vendors. It is the most popular mandolin shape in the industry.

The nmf-1.50 is 1.50 mm thick (.060") with very smooth, round edges, ideal for tremolo and playing leads on a double-stringed instrument. It sells $39.95, which includes FREE SHIPPING to your door. The material is Casein plastic, and this color, our most popular, is exclusive to Charmed Life. We call it "flame."

For those who may be interested in ordering this model, the first batch is spoken for and sold out. We will have more ready in about two to three weeks (late October). If interested in placing an order or asking questions, please do not PM me here, as I'm too busy launching this new model along with all the other craziness. I will do my best to get back to you within 24 hours.

This incredible casein material really must be played to be believed. It is smooth, silky warm, quiet across the strings, and with just a gentle bite for your leads and chops (geesh, I sound like I'm describing wine in the film SIDEWAYS). It is the closest thing to genuine TS, and I should know, since I've been playing that material for more than forty years.

Folks, remember that I didn't get into this to form a business; I started making picks for myself and it GREW into a business by people demanding I make a pick or two for them. Craziest thing. I had NO PLANS. None. And because I only started this business for myself, to make picks for my own use, my standards are ridiculously high. I have been a tone chaser my entire life (I'm very stubborn about this) and will never make anything I wouldn't take on stage for a show.

Thanks for reading. Below is a clip of me with a different casein model of ours, playing one of my favorite songs, "The Dutchman," written by Michael Peter Smith. This will give you the idea of the tone you will get from this wonderful material. Trust me, picks make a HUGE difference in acoustic tone.

Thank You!
Scott Memmer

scott

Last edited by Charmed Life Picks; 10-11-2018 at 10:40 PM.
Old 09-15-2018, 04:43 AM

What makes this special for the mandolin?
Old 09-15-2018, 11:35 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzin View Post
What makes this special for the mandolin?
Tenzin, hi, thanks for your question. Mando players generally like much more rounded corners than a traditional flatpick. The main reason is it slides off the strings more easily, especially during tremolo when the tip of a regular pick can get snagged and hung up between the two strings.

This is the identical shape we'll be using, which is the most popular shape in the mando pick world. Our first one will be at 1.50 mm thickness, which is also the most popular thickness:

Thanks again, and let me know if you have any further questions.

scott memmer
Old 09-15-2018, 12:37 PM

Thanks. I've just been using the CL pick I use when I play guitar. I have a few (less expensive) rounded edge picks that I'll try and see if I prefer that shape for the mandolin.
Old 09-15-2018, 01:22 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzin View Post
Thanks. I've just been using the CL pick I use when I play guitar. I have a few (less expensive) rounded edge picks that I'll try and see if I prefer that shape for the mandolin.
Tenzin, sure enough. FYI, an approximate feel of that round point might be to experiment by turning around a standard Fender 351 teardrop shape in your hand and playing the guitar with one of the rounded corners on top. Not exactly the same thing, but an approximation.

Actually, I played the Golden Gate for many years, but lately I've been experimenting with a standard teardrop point with a lot of success. I suppose my skill level at mando (mediocre at best) has improved enough to play that way. But this model we're introducing with the super rounded corners is very "forgiving" for inaccurate players like yours truly.

BTW, folks, the wait list is filling up. I expect to have only about a dozen of these on the first go-round, and those will be offered exclusively to the wait list members two or three days before they go up on our site. If interested, there is no obligation to purchase, but this is a private sale to the wait list only. Suggest you get on the list and then take a pass if not interested.

thanks,
scott memmer

Last edited by Charmed Life Picks; 09-15-2018 at 01:28 PM.
Old 09-23-2018, 09:33 PM
AGF Sponsor

Wait list members will receive a 48-hour advanced notice on this model before it goes on sale to the general public.

sm
Old 09-30-2018, 10:01 PM
AGF Sponsor

Default Soon Accepting Orders

UPDATE: Sept 30th: Right on schedule, as promised, we will begin accepting orders on our new mandolin model, the nmf-1.50, later this week.

Waitlisters: You have first dibs. A grace period of 72 hours will apply to give you time to place your order. This model is not yet up on our site, so I will be sending you a direct email with instructions on how to place your order. Below are a few of our first photos.

This model is the standard shape and size of the "chip" model popularized by Golden Gate for decades, along with, more recently, Wegen and some other vendors. It is the most popular mandolin shape in the industry.

The nmf-1.50 is 1.50 mm thick (.060") with very smooth, round edges, ideal for tremolo and playing leads on a double-stringed instrument. It sells $39.95, which includes FREE SHIPPING to your door. The material is Casein plastic, and this color, our most popular, is exclusive to Charmed Life. We call it "flame."

For those who may be interested in ordering this model, the first batch is spoken for and sold out. We will have more ready in about two to three weeks (late October). If interested in placing an order or asking questions, please do not PM me here, as I'm too busy launching this new model along with all the other craziness. I will do my best to get back to you within 24 hours.

This incredible casein material really must be played to be believed. It is smooth, silky warm, quiet across the strings, and with just a gentle bite for your leads and chops (geesh, I sound like I'm describing wine in the film SIDEWAYS). It is the closest thing to genuine TS, and I should know, since I've been playing that material for more than forty years.

Folks, remember that I didn't get into this to form a business; I started making picks for myself and it GREW into a business by people demanding I make a pick or two for them. Craziest thing. I had NO PLANS. None. And because I only started this business for myself, to make picks for my own use, my standards are ridiculously high. I have been a tone chaser my entire life (I'm very stubborn about this) and will never make anything I wouldn't take on stage for a show.

Thanks for reading. Below is a clip of me with a different casein model of ours, playing one of my favorite songs, "The Dutchman," written by Michael Peter Smith. This will give you the idea of the tone you will get from this wonderful material. Trust me, picks make a HUGE difference in acoustic tone.

Thank You!
Scott Memmer

Last edited by Charmed Life Picks; 09-30-2018 at 10:12 PM.
Old 10-01-2018, 08:08 PM
Charter Member

This GG style pick is beautiful. Have an orange flame large triangle, and it couldn't be smoother on the strings. I bet these picks just flow on the mandolin.
Old 10-05-2018, 08:51 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zissou Intern View Post
This GG style pick is beautiful. Have an orange flame large triangle, and it couldn't be smoother on the strings. I bet these picks just flow on the mandolin.
Keith, yeah, it's sweet. Finally learning how to polish these puppies. Still a long way to go for this perfectionist friend of yours, but headed in the right direction.

Did you end up pulling the trigger on that KM?

memmer
Old 10-07-2018, 04:47 PM
AGF Sponsor

The first few mando picks from our folks on the waiting list have left the barn and will be hitting customers' homes this week. This is our most popular material, configured in the most popular mandolin pick shape on the market, so we expect things to go well. This material is magic, and besides, we've never had bad reviews.

I hope this doesn't sound cocky. But this is what happens when you use only the best materials. We've been fortunate in guessing right, and in people being willing to pass the word about our products.

Thanks, AGF,

Scott
Old 10-09-2018, 02:53 PM
Charter Member

Default Just received mine!

Just received my flame mando pick today and had a chance to try it out for 15 minutes or so during lunchtime. Thought I'd give my first impressions...

First off, I use this style pick primarily on my acoustic guitars, although I do play some mando as well. The pick is gorgeous and has a great feel to it. Very comfortable to the touch--not slick, but at the same time, not too sticky or grippy. Just the right feel to it.

Love the tone of this pick! It really glides on the strings and is super smooth to play with. It's the closest thing I've heard to my typical wegen that I use, but is a tad warmer and softer--definitely a good thing as there is little to no string noise with this pick compared to the wegen.

I really look forward to using this pick more and more. Super looks, super tone, and super service from Scott. Yeah, it's pricey, but I highly recommend this pick--check it out!
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)
Old 10-14-2018, 03:07 AM
AGF Sponsor

Folks, this model sells for $39.95. However, please bear in mind that we NEVER charge for freight. Free shipping comes with every order, even a single pick. Most of other premium pick vendors charge anywhere from $2 to $5 on checkout for shipping. Not only is that nickel-and-diming the customer, I consider it dishonest. As a consumer, such policies offend me on a very personal level.

When I formed the company three years ago, the first thing I did was go through our pricing structure and make sure to calculate and factor in free shipping on every product. It was my top priority.

$5.00 on a shipment of a single guitar pick? For something that doesn't weigh anything? Really?

Not here. Never here.

scott memmer
Old 10-22-2018, 10:22 PM
AGF Sponsor

We've been pleased by the reviews so far. People really loving this new model.

sm
Old 10-27-2018, 04:23 PM
AGF Sponsor

The most gorgeous pick we've ever made. For holiday orders: We are running three to four weeks on lead time right now, from placement of order. There is a line. If interested in one of these for yourself or as a gift, please order ASAP. They will be gone by Christmas.

https://www.charmedlifepicks.com/product-page/nmf-1-50

thanks,
scott memmer
Old 11-08-2018, 04:33 PM
AGF Sponsor

Reviews have been through the roof. These will be in tight supply through the end of the year. All casein models have three to four week lead times at present. Can't make 'em fast enough.

thanks
scott

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Marketplace