The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 08-30-2018, 05:38 PM

Default Setting Goals for Lessons

Hello,
Ive been playing for about 6 years. Solid on open chords, know some scales and can strum fairly consistently. I have been learning a bit of finger style but haven't gotten very far. To put it bluntly i guess i am a perpetual beginner. i decided to give private lessons a try and my first lesson is sunday. I want to go into it with some goals so I know i am making progress. What would be a good path for someone who has picked up a little here and there but has never been able to put it all together to really make progress. If you were starting lessons what would be your game plan. Thanks in advance.
Old 08-30-2018, 06:09 PM

I commend you for even thinking about goals before going to lessons. For example, if you'd like to be able to learn and strum songs, and yet have no interest currently in playing melodies or solos, communicating that to a teacher will forestall weeks or months of learning fundamental skills that you have no interest in retaining (at this time).

On the other hand, a good teacher will be able to spot your weak areas, and may guide you to an area you think is wasting your time (but they know better). Be open to what a teacher may plan, unless or until it conflicts with your inner goals. Even then, it's good to have a conversation with them to find out why they may be pushing you in a direction you don't trust.

Teacher or not, I think everyone could benefit from having both short-term (this month, or this year) goals and longer-term (3-5 years from now) goals. When you have a specific goal your mind starts working out what you might have to do to get there.

I think the better one gets at crisply and clearly defining goals, the better one gets at finding ways to achieve them.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 08-30-2018, 06:32 PM

this may or may not help you, but something that I once used as a goalpost of things I wanted to learn, is the "Consolidation" from justinguitar.com .. this is just basically his benchmark or list of things that you should have down, in order to consider yourself having moved from beginner to intermediate.

https://www.justinguitar.com/guitar-...ractice-bc-199

There are a few things on his list that I don't know, and a few things that AREN'T on his list, theory wise, that I do* know.. so... It's not anything set-in-stone, but I do like his site in general and I think this list is as decent of a place as any to start. Go check out the link above and see how much from that list you actually know. This is one of many examples of resources that are out there, but I would build upon what someone else mentioned, and advise that you really think about your goals.. someone who wants to be a singer-songwriter, versus a metal shredder whose goal is speed and solos, versus someone who wants to be an "all around" or professional session musician.. these people are all going to have pretty vastly different goals. The first would obviously want more ear-training and focus on singing and playing at the same time, etc, the 2nd would be modes and scales and picking technique, the 3rd on theory and a more extensive mix of everything.

sorry if that was convoluted, but I think the best thing you could do before your lessons would be to ask 'what are my goals? most important? less important? not important at all'? this will give your instructor a better idea how to proportion things. I think a small dose of theory mixed with learning new songs you like is a good mix, because you pick up things you don't realize as you keep learning..

anyway, good luck!!!

Scott
Fishman | Loudbox Mini | Primetone 1.0mm

"what is the universe? the universe is a symphony of vibrating strings.." -michio kaku
Old 08-30-2018, 06:41 PM

Gordon is becoming my new hero with his great comments.

I made the greatest gains when I identified to my instructor very specifically what I wanted to be able to do right from the start.

1. Decide what is you want to do on the guitar and tell your instructor.
2. Ask for exercises, practice methods and anything that you can do that is measurable in steps.
3. Discipline yourself to practice those things no matter how boring, there are no shortcuts.
4. As you move forward into new things, continue to practice the things you started with. This will reaffirm what you have learned and you can always refine and improve those things.

In order to get beyond my "sticking point", which was soloing, my instructor started me off with specific exercises designed to improve my speed and accuracy. I still do these exercises. Next we moved into scales and how to play them all over the guitar. I practice those as well.Now he's teaching me how to create melodic riffs using scales, arpeggios and scales over chords.
You need not be a "perpetual beginner", you can improve but you need goals and a good instructor.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster

Last edited by rokdog49; 08-30-2018 at 06:58 PM.
Old 08-30-2018, 06:44 PM

I love threads like this, as it forces me to be analytical about my own progress and where I'm at. I'm currently studying a couple acoustic blues songs which are more difficult than I'm used to, in order to tackle a genre I'm not familiar with, and I just have to say.. being a member of AGF has also helped me insofar as identifying my goals and trying to surpass my former "play-the-same-noodling-songs-over-again" self.

So, thanks to everyone who contributes here.
Fishman | Loudbox Mini | Primetone 1.0mm

"what is the universe? the universe is a symphony of vibrating strings.." -michio kaku
Old 08-30-2018, 08:18 PM

Thanks for the great replies so far. i like the idea of using Justin's check list. I just looked at it and its a lot to know. Its frustrating to play for so long with no direction and when it all boils down realize you don't know that much or as much as you should. I've definitely suffered from internet ADHD - jumping from one thing to the next. Im considering going in there and telling him i want to start from scratch and really nail my fundamentals and go from there. Also wondering if I should work on finger style vs strumming or can both coexist. Keep the replies coming - i am thankful for the input.
Old 08-31-2018, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jklemm18 View Post
Thanks for the great replies so far. i like the idea of using Justin's check list. I just looked at it and its a lot to know. Its frustrating to play for so long with no direction and when it all boils down realize you don't know that much or as much as you should. I've definitely suffered from internet ADHD - jumping from one thing to the next. Im considering going in there and telling him i want to start from scratch and really nail my fundamentals and go from there. Also wondering if I should work on finger style vs strumming or can both coexist. Keep the replies coming - i am thankful for the input.
Justin's "checklist" is very good, but it isn't the "end-all", "be-all" way to go.
What you said about beginning with the fundamentals is a great starting point.
Why, because it will force you to stay focused.
For example, how is your alternate picking? That's a basic skill I was not good at so my instructor made me work on it. He gave me several exercises and as boring as they are, they have helped enormously.
There is absolutely no reason you can't incorporate some fingerstyle work with other things but...it all takes time. Will you devote the time to it consistently?
Better to pick one thing and get better at that. Things will move along more quickly for you.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 08-31-2018, 06:29 AM

Questions to think about

Do you want to accompany yourself while you sing?
Do you want to play instrumentals?
Do you want to play in a band with others?
What style/genre of music do you want to play?

Answers could change as you improve but they might help you and your instructor figure out how to get started
Old 09-04-2018, 08:16 AM

What a great thread. I had forgotten about Justinguitar but have used his website a good bit in the past. Good stuff there. Should be required viewing for anyone really interested in learning.

I was stoked to figure out that despite the fact that, like a previous poster, I consider myself a "perpetual beginner", I'm pretty comfortable with most all of Justin's "beginner" list. If I could just get those strumming patterns down...
2015 Gibson Songwriter Deluxe Studio
2014 Voyage-Air
2018 Fender Players Series Stratocaster
1981 Fender Statocaster

Last edited by jafranks; 09-04-2018 at 08:17 AM. Reason: clarification
Old 09-04-2018, 09:57 AM

I've never seen that Justin list, but I think it's a pretty good, all round and COMPREHENSIVE list. That last point is something I think a lot of folks who are internet/self-taught players fall pretty far behind on. It becomes pretty evident when they get the opportunity to play with other, well rounded musicians.

In terms of goals, hopefully you have some pretty clear ideas by now about what you'd like to be able to do or do better. Musicians who you'd like to emulate, guitar parts you like to be able to play, etc. The teacher's job is to get you from where you are to those places.

In terms of fingerstyle vs/plus flatpicking, I'd say it's a trade off. I always encourage folks to pursue the direction they're most enthusiastic about; it's the path of least resistance. However, both techniques are demanding on their own, most of us are somewhat time-constrained and the gains made while working on both might seem slow. I remember throwing myself at fingerstyle and giving up several times before gaining some proficiency. That might be a good tactic - if one becomes too frustrating, switch to the other.
Old 09-05-2018, 01:01 PM

I've had a few guitar teachers. I've learned the most when I could tell the instructor what I wanted to learn, and then I sought out an instructor who was very good at that.

One of the most valuable lessons that an instructor taught me was to not have guitar-playing goals, but to view playing as a perpetual journey. Everything I learn is just another step along the way, but steps have to be taken or there is no journey. An instructor can help guide your next step.

Another instructor, another valuable lesson: This time, I was looking to gain enough competence at bluegrass guitar that I could join in low-level jams. The first three lessons were spent just listening to bluegrass records, not even touching a guitar. He pointed out some things to listen for, then gave me listening assignments to work on between lessons. When he was satisfied that I was serious about listening, he started teaching me how to play the specific little licks, runs, etc. that he had taught me how to hear.

So my advice is, as others here have said, tell the instructor the type of music you are willing to devote a lot of time and effort. Also, tell the teacher if you want to learn how to play particular songs or if you additionally want to be able to improvise music.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write