The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-28-2016, 07:36 PM
Charter Member

Default k&k mini volume

I have a k&k mini in all 3 of my guitars. Martin d18, martin ceo7 and martin om 28..the om 28 is noticeably louder when plugged in than the other 2. its not unbalanced or anything,but when everything is set the same,nd i change guitars i have to cut back on the gain for the om. is this normal. it would seem the d18 would be the loudest but not the case.
Old 12-28-2016, 10:22 PM

The way these pickups are installed can be a little dodgy at best, considering that they are installed blind. I have noticed with SBT piezos, if they are installed even 1/8 of an inch one direction or the other, it can make a huge difference in how sensitive the pickup is. It is very likely that the OM28 was installed perfectly and the other two had the pickups not perfectly centered under the saddle.

Your best bet is to pick up a simple external DI box made for piezo pickups and you can easily adjust the gain on the pickup from there rather than going back to the amp every time you change guitars.
Martin: M-38, 000-15, Recording King RD-316, Enya (Carbon Fiber) X4 Pro, Silver Creek T160, Gretsch Americana Acoustic, Seagull M12, S8 (mandolin), Great Divide Camp guitar, Ibanez RS135, AM73 Giannini Flat Series Classical, Craviola Classical, Jay Turser JT134, Casio PG380 Digital guitar, Hohner Fretless (Steinberger) Bass, Kala Acacia Ubass, M Duffey: Celtic Harp
Old 12-29-2016, 11:51 AM

I use a V-Cable from Horizon that has the volume control on it. I have PMs in my Taylor 914, 814 cocobolo, T5, T5z and even an Ovation 1985 collectors series. I think the thickness of the bridge plate also makes a difference. As the DR says above, placement is the biggest factor in volume.
The V-cable is now made and sold by Horizon and was made for Taylor when the "go" pickup was made for the GS mini series.
Easy fix without having to add a preamp. As for those, I use the RedEye and RedEye Twin when I need control for dual sources.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification