The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 03-20-2023, 06:35 AM

Default Warm Audio?

Anyone using WARM AUDIO mics?

I'm particulary wondering about the WA-84 SDC mics for recording acoustic guitar.

Any first hand reviews appreciated.
Old 03-20-2023, 09:08 AM
Charter Member

Forum member Glennwillow has a pair of WA-84's
Third post in this thread
https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=632303

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 03-20-2023, 10:07 AM
Charter Member

Yes, I use a pair of WA-84 mics and I like them a great deal. Here is an instrumental video I did using the WA-84 mics.

I'm glad to answer specific questions if you'd like to PM me.

- Glenn
Old 03-20-2023, 10:29 AM
Charter Member

I use two WA large condenser mics. WA 14 and WA 47jr. Soundclip in my signature.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 03-20-2023, 11:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
Yes, I use a pair of WA-84 mics and I like them a great deal. Here is an instrumental video I did using the WA-84 mics.

I'm glad to answer specific questions if you'd like to PM me.

- Glenn
Just Beautiful Glenn. You have the Touch!. So very smooth.

Once again proving that touch, playing skills are the most important factors in any recording.
Old 03-20-2023, 03:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcousticDreams View Post
Just Beautiful Glenn. You have the Touch!. So very smooth.

Once again proving that touch, playing skills are the most important factors in any recording.
Thank you AD! Much appreciated.

- Glenn
Old 03-20-2023, 03:41 PM
Charter Member

Koda,
Since toying with a home studio set up, I have become a fan of Warm Audio. I don't have the experience of some here to give a comparison against other mics, nor the expertise to give an informed review, but my novice opinion of the WA 84s is that they provide a very workable signal and make tracks that are much easier to work with in my DAW to get a sound I like. (GarageBand transitioning to Reaper).

I got a pair of WA84s a couple months ago as a hopeful upgrade from using a single AT2035 and a Tascam handheld recorder. I have not been disappointed. Since I don't have the expertise to word my opinion of them in an educated way, let me say, they seem to give a fuller, more robust signal that you can trim down in your DAW, instead of a thin signal that you try to ADD something to, that just isn't there.
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 03-21-2023, 01:16 PM

I have the same Warm Audio pair as Glennwillow.

I like them. I waited for a deal to afford them. Some with more budget and experience have written here about preferring other brands to Warm Audio, and I have not used some of the higher priced competitors.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 03-21-2023, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koda View Post
Anyone using WARM AUDIO mics?

I'm particulary wondering about the WA-84 SDC mics for recording acoustic guitar.

Any first hand reviews appreciated.

I got a pair of the WA-84s and was pretty disappointed. I felt they were spitty instead of smooth, and veiled instead of detailed. I wasn't expecting they would sound anything like a real KM84, but I was hoping for at least a decent SDC. It just missed for me.

That said, the MicParts SDC-84 is a really nice mic, if you're looking for a mic in the ballpark of a real KM84 . The only downside is that you have to build it from the kit :-(

1927 Martin 00-21
1986 Fender Strat
1987 Ibanez RG560
1988 Fender Fretless J Bass
1991 Washburn HB-35s
1995 Taylor 812ce
1996 Taylor 510c (custom)
1996 Taylor 422-R (Limited Edition)
1997 Taylor 810-WMB (Limited Edition)
1998 Taylor 912c (Custom)
2019 Fender Tele
Old 03-21-2023, 04:09 PM
Charter Member

This review of the WA-84 may be of interest.

- Glenn
Old 03-22-2023, 08:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DupleMeter View Post
I got a pair of the WA-84s and was pretty disappointed. I felt they were spitty instead of smooth, and veiled instead of detailed. I wasn't expecting they would sound anything like a real KM84, but I was hoping for at least a decent SDC. It just missed for me.

That said, the MicParts SDC-84 is a really nice mic, if you're looking for a mic in the ballpark of a real KM84 . The only downside is that you have to build it from the kit :-(
Sorry to hear that, but you really got me wanting to try some "real" KM 84s now! Just don't have 6 or 7 thousand dollars laying around....

Interesting that you don't see any comparisons of the WA84s to the current KM184s.... although from the reviews I've read, even the 184s don't compare to the original 84s.

For me though, if I want my recordings to sound better....I just need to practice my playing more! (that's the weak link in my signal chair!!)
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 03-22-2023, 10:11 AM

I have a WA47 tube mic that I use for vocals and a WA14 that I use for acoustic. I use both in a figure 8 configuration and I use a high pass filter on the WA14. The WA47 also works great on acoustic or when you want to use a single mic for vocals and acoustic.
Old 03-22-2023, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
Sorry to hear that, but you really got me wanting to try some "real" KM 84s now! Just don't have 6 or 7 thousand dollars laying around....

Interesting that you don't see any comparisons of the WA84s to the current KM184s.... although from the reviews I've read, even the 184s don't compare to the original 84s.

For me though, if I want my recordings to sound better....I just need to practice my playing more! (that's the weak link in my signal chair!!)

So, keep in mind that I live in this world professionally. I am a studio owner/audio engineer. I play with these super expensive toys on a regular basis. Here's my thoughts:

The original km84 is a great mic. Smooth & natural with incredible off axis sound. I don't think they're worth what people are asking for them. I'd gladly pay $800 a pop for them, but more than that is just not worth it to me. I'd look to other options.

The KM184s (I have several of these along with km84s), are not as open in the mids (thinner to my ears) and brighter. They work and with the right pre and a little EQ I can make one sound really close to a "real" 84 ;-)

The WA-84 pair I bought just felt veiled...as in the mids were all smeared. There was no detail, or at least not as much detail as the 84 or 184. Add to that the top end was "spitty". Not just bright, but kind of a harshness.

I'll also admit that I prefer LDCs almost always. My favorite mic for an acoustic stringed instrument is a C-12 set a few clicks from cardioid towards omni (wide card). It's just perfect to my ears.

And you are 100% right. The mic, preamp, etc., are all inconsequential to the actual performance. I'd rather hear a mediocre recording of a great performance than a great recording of a mediocre performance any day of the week. We have to remember it's all about the music & the emotional connection. As long as the recording conveys that emotional experience who cares what was used.

I do a lot of training of young engineers & they always ask "what's the best mic for [fill in the blank]," and I always say "the one you have available right now!"

1927 Martin 00-21
1986 Fender Strat
1987 Ibanez RG560
1988 Fender Fretless J Bass
1991 Washburn HB-35s
1995 Taylor 812ce
1996 Taylor 510c (custom)
1996 Taylor 422-R (Limited Edition)
1997 Taylor 810-WMB (Limited Edition)
1998 Taylor 912c (Custom)
2019 Fender Tele
Old 03-22-2023, 02:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DupleMeter View Post
I must admit these kits are nicely packaged. A little bit more expensive than I would have thought, for a built it yourself though.

How close is this mic to a real 84? Do you own this mic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DupleMeter;7214570
The original km84 is a great mic. Smooth & natural with incredible off axis sound. I don't think they're worth what people are asking for them.

The KM184s (I have several of these along with km84s), are not as open in the mids (thinner to my ears) and brighter. They work and with the[B
right pre and a little EQ[/B] I can make one sound really close to a "real" 84 ;-)
Please share what the right Pre and the EQ setting are?
You use to be able to pick up used 184 at a very reasonable price. Seems like everything is more expensive now. So I am not seeing great deals on Reverb right now. But still, a reasonable option.

* I have not heard much about MOD's on 184's? Are there tech guys who do mods on 184's, to make then exactly like the old 84's?

Have you had any experience with with Omni Capsules 84's, DupleMeter?
Old 03-22-2023, 02:33 PM
Charter Member

Steve,
Thanks for that run down. You, and a few others are greatly appreciated for sharing your expertise in this room and the recording forum. I would love to be a fly on the wall in a real studio, and sponge a day’s worth of wisdom.

Then again, a certain degree of ignorance is bliss! Since I dont get to play with real 84s or U47s, my WAs sound pro-grade to my naïve ears.

I tell myself that my little home studio is a cross between Sun Studio and Staxx. It Suxx!
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD