The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 03-06-2023, 08:17 PM

Question String pings out of resonator saddle

Hello, I've just got my resonator back from having it set up, and while its action was lowered to my preference, the treble E string doesn't stay in the saddle's groove; it pings out of place even when lightly plucked with my bare ring finger.

I don't want to take the guitar back to the shop as it's quite far from where I live, and I can't drive. Can I fix this myself?

Thanks!
Old 03-06-2023, 08:33 PM

Check the break angle . . .

If your reso has a tailpiece, sometimes you can loosen the strings and unscrew the tailpiece and readjust the tailpiece to get more of a break angle for the string on the saddle, (so the groove will hold it) but you'll have to set the saddle, biscuit (or T bar if its a tricone) again.

Make sure it has a break angle on the saddle and string.

If you cut the groove on the saddle deeper, but there isn't enough break angle on the saddle and string as it will pop out when strings are strummed aggressively.

Some resonators if the saddle is shaved too low, the break angle is too low, so new saddle that's cut to adjust the break angle.

If nut is too high that can affect break angle, and its better to adjust the nut from the bottom.

Also if you are shaving / cutting, its good the measure twice or more and tiny, tiny increments.

Republic Polished Nickel over Brass Tricone
ES Dot
Fender MIM P-BAss
Gender M1M J-8455

Looking 4 an OM . . . so many choices!!! Analysis Paralysis

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments